Bot registrations and Spam

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:31 am

SirClive wrote:Sorry to quote you again Darran, but when are we going to see this improvement?
In terms of removal, it'll likely be the other way for a while—I'm under severe deadline pressure at the moment, so I simply won't have time to police the forum for a couple of weeks.

Just out of curiosity, am I right in thinking that forum admins on PHPBB can delete all of a user's posts with a single click, or are you still reduced to removing posts one at a time?
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:09 am

Again cant you give these sort of rights to one of the posters who are here all the time throughout the day ? I'm sure there'll be someone who wouldnt mind taking on the role.

Again if they abuse their rights then they instantly lose that but i'm sure people wont.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:23 am

psj3809 wrote:Again cant you give these sort of rights to one of the posters who are here all the time throughout the day?
That would be the sensible course of action: upgrade the accounts of a few regular, reliable and level-headed posters to mod status, and then upgrade the house-staff mods to admins (and perhaps me, too, seeing as I think I can be relied upon not to remove the entire forum in a fit of drunkenness). We'll see, I guess.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:43 am

It's quite depressing that most times I visit the forum index, the most recent registered user is a spam account.

And while I'm here I'll reiterate, if you follow one of those supposed celeb video links, you run the risk of getting your pc infected with a trojan.
Info

I know most people here probably wouldn't fall for it, but there may be some less experienced PC users around could benefit from this.

The Penultimate Ninja

Re:

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:46 am

Dudley wrote:Actually while I think about it another way to cut down on the sheer number of posts would be to increase the spam timeout that prevents you making two posts too quickly to at least a full minute from what appears to be as little as 15 seconds at present.
Is there a way to apply that to new posts only, and not when trying to edit a post? It's a bit annoying when I notice a mistake just after pressing submit.

GetDexter

Re:

Post by GetDexter » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:32 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Again cant you give these sort of rights to one of the posters who are here all the time throughout the day?
That would be the sensible course of action: upgrade the accounts of a few regular, reliable and level-headed posters to mod status, and then upgrade the house-staff mods to admins (and perhaps me, too, seeing as I think I can be relied upon not to remove the entire forum in a fit of drunkenness). We'll see, I guess.
I'd be up for that - give me something to do on night shifts... not to give the NHS a bad name - I'm not implying all their staff lounge around in offices checking out forums on night shifts, but...

...I do!

:wink:
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:52 pm

I'd be happy to volunteer to, I have no life, I live in the internet.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:06 pm

psj3809 wrote:Again cant you give these sort of rights to one of the posters who are here all the time throughout the day ? I'm sure there'll be someone who wouldnt mind taking on the role.

Again if they abuse their rights then they instantly lose that but i'm sure people wont.
That's a patch rather than a cure though. While it'll help it still doesn't change the fact the mods are putting in hours of work to save the IT dept minutes.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:56 pm

Im on a night shift tonight and there have been lots of spam posts which I would have happily deleted if I had had the authority to do so.

Another issue, and not as trivial as it may sound, is this - Craig has stated that spam threads started with a spam post and then followed by legitimate replies from users don't bother him as he can easily delete the whole thread. But a post started legitimately and then invaded by a spam bot followed by further legitimate posts are a bug bear as they are harder to easily delete.
Now this is all the more reason to give trustworthy members admin powers as often, a decent thread may be building up a good momentum when suddenly a spam bot invades to post their tripe. If we all respected Craig's wishes, we would be twiddling our thumbs for 'x' amount of time (maybe hours), waiting to post further replies while the spam post is deleted, whereas if some of us had the powers to delete these posts, there would be little interruption to the service!

ADDITIONAL - Ah, just read some of Craigs other posts on this. I now see my mistake. I believe he was referring to situations when members quote spam threads for the purpose of making a witty comment about it or whatever. He then not only has to delete the spam post, but go and edit all those posts that quoted that spam, or quoted other users quotes about the spam!!

I left my orginal post up though rather than edit it to pretend I knew what he meant all along, as its a good example of how easy it is to make misunderstandings in the English language!
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:41 am

There were 36 threads with new posts in them this morning.

28 of those were simply spam relies.

Give me the access the IT dept have, I'll do it myself Monday evening if I have to, this is useless and it's only the already busy editorial team that give the slightest censored.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:45 am

Today is the worst it has ever been.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:33 am

Really the IP addresses of the spammers should be passed on to the police. Spamming is actually a crime, and can also sometimes involve human trafficking and slave labour (seriously).

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:07 am

Hmm... Just like piracy then.

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:51 am

The Master wrote:Really the IP addresses of the spammers should be passed on to the police. Spamming is actually a crime, and can also sometimes involve human trafficking and slave labour (seriously).
:lol: :lol:

This is funny....

Do you really think the police would give a crap..?

Friday night a local man of about 65 was punched in the face because he wanted to park his car in his own garage but the local yobs wouldn't let him. He called the police and they came out to see "what the fuss" was about on Sunday morning...
This happened under a CCTV cam and they said nothing can be done. The guy has a nice purple/black and yellow face now.

The police are just Tax collectors for the goverment now, picking on drivers going to and from work. They don't give a stuff about anything unless they can earn a few quid from it in "on the spot" fines and they never go looking for people breaking the law, they just wait for them to drive past.

Tell the police... :lol: thats funny

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:04 am

GetDexter wrote:But a post started legitimately and then invaded by a spam bot followed by further legitimate posts are a bug bear as they are harder to easily delete.
I should clarify what I meant here—which is essentially what you said in your 'additional' bit.

Posts that entirely ignore the spam-bots are not an issue. What annoys me is when a bunch of people respond to it—those posts, clearly, also have to be deleted or edited, one at a time. If you have post/post/post/spam/post/post, you can just remove the spam. If you have post/post/post/spam/muppet replying to spam/muppet replying to muppet, quoting both spam and original muppet/another muppet/post, it's four times as much work for a mod to deal with.