From the forum issue 96

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: From the forum issue 96

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:17 pm

One word: Chaos. Hours and Hours of my life, and then Rebelstar 2 too!

A note of caution however on these claims of "free" - certainly during the 8bit era the mags tended to subtly raise the price.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:The Zzap Sampler from issue 26 - Last Ninja was my very first wow moment when I saw the first screen render.

(which may have been one of the first tapes on the cover I believe?)
It was the first cover tape Zzap!64 did. Also featured a concept demo by Sensible Software for a game that never came out, and also the remix of the Sanxion music by Rob Hubbard as audio on the reverse...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:04 am

Given the time of year, I'll have to go for Sonic Team's Christmas Nights, which was generously given away with one December issue of Sega Saturn Magazine.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:39 am

Wasn't disc 1 of Panzer Dragoon Saga given away with a Saturn mag' once? I never owned a Saturn back then as I was a late adopter but I think I recall reading this happened...
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:41 am

Disc wise:PC Zone i think, gave away Hidden+Dangerous for free.Nice.

rapidly-greying

Post by rapidly-greying » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:05 pm

Your Sinclair gave away the theme music to the arcade version of Afterburner, awesome tune! Batty and Xmas Monty get very honourable mentions too.
Keith,Scotland 35,wife n 2 kids,Owned(or own)a NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Gameboy,DS,360,Sega MD,DC+GG,Intellevision, C 64, ZX Spec 48k+,PS1,2+3.Fave games are Zelda,Mario,Leaderboard,Tomb Raider,Bombjack,Pilotwings,Ridge Racer,Ico,Everybody's Golf,DAFC fan.

rapidly-greying

Post by rapidly-greying » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:14 pm

Official Playstation Mag gave away a disc of Net Yaroze games once. It featured a decent Sensi Soccer clone that achieved legendary status in my eyes due to having some tremendous comedy names. Jimmy Floyd Hooslebonk springs to mind,genius.
Keith,Scotland 35,wife n 2 kids,Owned(or own)a NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Gameboy,DS,360,Sega MD,DC+GG,Intellevision, C 64, ZX Spec 48k+,PS1,2+3.Fave games are Zelda,Mario,Leaderboard,Tomb Raider,Bombjack,Pilotwings,Ridge Racer,Ico,Everybody's Golf,DAFC fan.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:43 pm

I can remember a game called unSensible Soccer, given away with the Easter 1993 edition of ST Action, that let you play a game of apples versus oranges. These replaced the normal footballer graphics. There were also banana skins strewn about the pitch and you'd fall over if you slipped on one.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Right towards the end of the Amiga's life there was a disc-based magazine that ran for probably only a couple of issues (it was terrible), but it did have one of the best football games on it I'd ever played at the time. No idea what the game or 'mag' were called though.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:35 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:I am very tempted to say Batty as that was brilliant and another one that comes close is A Whole New Ball Game that cam free on a Crash tape but the one I actually spent the most time with was a really good footy manager game that came free with ST Action. It was called The Manager (great original title there) and me and my best mate spent hours upon hours playing it.
That was an great little game - I remember that you'd see Santa at Christmas in the animation window.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:53 pm

I would have to say Shuriken on the ZX Spectrum was my favourite covertape game which was an Exolon clone and a very good one. It was made by a Speccy fan for Speccy fans and was given away free on the Dec 1990 issue of Crash Magazine as one of the Covertape games.
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:39 pm

um...from the forum issue 96? time warp? deja vous?
i'ts going to be a ps1 demo disc but i'll check through them later to see which triggers the best memories.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:14 pm

CVG had the soundtracks to Outrun and 720 on their cover. Iirc it was a crimbo issue. Fantastic.

Eat your nans pants

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:44 pm

I am going to go for the demo disk that was on an Issue of Official Playstation Magazine. It has an exclusive demo if ISS'98 that me and my mate played to death until the game came out, one half of France vs Brazil.....heavenly!!

joefish

Post by joefish » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:06 pm

I remember an ST Format coverdisk once included a brilliant shareware shoot 'em up called Cybernetix, a slick cross between Asteroids and Defender with great sampled sound effects and either rendered or digitised asteroids.