Issue 95 Official Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Jet Pilot

Re: Issue 95 Official Feedback

Post by Jet Pilot » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:51 pm

Any US subs get their issue yet? It's running about 2 weeks late (and counting) so far.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

MulderWasTaken

Post by MulderWasTaken » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:58 am

Jet Pilot wrote:Any US subs get their issue yet? It's running about 2 weeks late (and counting) so far.
Me neither. After I saw the video of the new magazine #96 I sent an email to imaginesubs@servicehelpline.co.uk, but I guess it seems it's something else then. I'll keep you posted.

Kai

Post by Kai » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:50 am

The History of Resident Evil was a great feature, albeit missing (more & bigger) pictures and screenshots from the first three games, imho.

Featuring Bubble Bobble was a win-win situation, I guess. :mrgreen: Great article!

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:16 am

adippm82 wrote:
Imhotep wrote:Thanks for your reply. I did wonder why Swiv was getting criticism, it's an awesome game, I don't know how it compares to the Amiga version but it's pretty good on the Arc, as was for example, Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 the Arc version is so much better than the Atari ST version, also the Arc version of Doom is regarded as being one of the best versions available.

I'm sure you know, but James Pond 2 : Robocod was not converted to the Archimedes by Krisalis, it was done by Gamesware, who did a few conversions such as - Dune 2, Simon The Sorceror, Global Effect, it was much better than the first game but an update was released later on called James Pond 2+ which featured (I think) improved graphics and sounds, and new levels.

What were the bugs in James Pond ? I'm tempted to dig out the old A3000 and return to these games and see if
I can complete them.
I had a go at these tonight, the first James Pond looks dreadfully washed out on the Arc, I will have to play it some more, but I have not encountered any gameplay problems as yet.

As you say James Pond 2 + was an updated version, and that is the one I have, certainly nothing wrong with this version at all, very smooth scrolling, and no flickering or stuttering to be seen, and the sound is very good indeed.

I also love SWIV on the Arc, it is a superb conversion, great sound, very smooth gameplay, and one of the few games that natively used the built in joystick ports on the A3010.

The conversions Krisalis produced on the Arc were astounding, I have a good few, Gods, Quest For Gold, Cannon Fodder, Lotus Turbo Challenge 2, Chuck Rock, Populous, Manchester United Europe, to name a few, all of them are as good or better than any other version I have played.

Bless Krisalis for supporting the machine so well, they could not have made much money from it, with them, Superior Software, and the Fourth Dimension, the Arc had some great games in it's rather small library.
Totally agree about James Pond, it does look washed out, just compare the Arc version to Amiga version on the box, and Robocod was much better, there was also a Thames Water educational game thing which featured James Pond too.

I haven't seen many of the Amiga/ST originals to compare with but I did see Cannon Fodder on the Amiga and the Arc version is every bit as good, and also Lotus 2 on the ST and the Arc version was superior.

Indeed it was a rather small library of games, there were some really good quality native games, Star Fighter 3000 ended up on the PS1 and 3D0, there were loads of good conversions and not just from Krisalis, R Comp Interactive released Doom, Quake, Heroes of Might and Magic, Descent, Syndicate and the Chaos Engine, sadly very few people know about such releases hence the fact in the Dune 2 feature this month the Archimedes version was missed off of the "also available on" bit, even though someone had taken the time and trouble to find out alternative versions.

The Arc games market was small and short lived but there are some really good games out there well worth discovering - there are some stinkers too, but there is a lot more to Archimedes gaming than Elite and the Zarch!

retrosportsgmr

Post by retrosportsgmr » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:27 am

We get new issues kind of delayed here in the States (just got Final Fantasy VII cover) but wanted to give a thumbs up to the brief piece on the original FIFA. Loved the pictures and art that went with the article.
http://www.retrosportsgamer.com
Twitter: @retrosportsgmr