Issue 94 Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Mayhem

Re: Issue 94 Feedback Thread

Post by Mayhem » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:36 pm

hydr0x wrote:Maybe I should sell my sealed copy then :lol:
Likewise :lol:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:50 am

Rory Milne wrote:Making of Jones in the Fast Lane - Although this belongs to a genre that I'm less than keen on, the actual article made for a fascinating read. I'm maybe not likely to ever play it, but having read the piece, I do now understand why other gamers love it.
It was good fun doing this and I think it's testament to RG's commitment to a variety of platforms and game genres. I think I should offer a huge thanks to Pete (pforson) who was a huge help to me in getting this one done. Cheers Pete!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

TaranBFC

Post by TaranBFC » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:12 am

Just wanted to say this was the first ever edition of Retro Gamer that I have picked up and it has spurned me on to sign up to the forums and start looking at getting some back copies of the mag too. My favourite article of this issue was the GBA atricle as I am saviving up to get a AGS-101 model and have been searching around online for some deals and games to get when I can eventually afford one. The article has made it much easier and now I will be looking to pick up a good selection of the games you featured. 8)

DRS

Post by DRS » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Welcome to the mag and the forums TaranBFC :) It is truly uplifting to think at issue 94, someone is picking up RG for the first time. Mate, if you have the time, you've got a lot of back issues to delve into but for now, here's to the future ;)

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:21 am

Take it as read that the articles in the mag are well written & enjoyable, however there are the odd months where there are a clutch of articles about games & systems that don't appeal to me & this is one of them.

Still I've had quite a run of issues that have masses of stuff I'm into. I'm not going to be greedy!

Especially when issue 95 looks a treat! :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:00 pm

A great issue.

Good to see Malcolm Evans in it, and the Trashman pages.

I've never played Maniac Mansion, but it was a good article, and I was pleased to see the Mapped page in colour. Past ones weren't (even when they talked about the coloured areas/items in the legend).

The Art of Amiga was always going to be a highlight, and it was (even though it called Extra Half-Bright, Extended Half-Bright).

The Atari Corp. Part 2 was possibly my favourite part. Really interesting, and was good to read since I'd read the Commodore On The Edge book a few years ago (and the second edition on the shelf ready to start), as this continued Jack's story.

The reviews mentioned that From Dust wasn't out on the PS3. It is.

And I'm fairly sure Martin Galway didn't do Hey Hey 16K.

One thing that's been bugging me for a while is an advert for an SF magazine. I know every answer on the page except "Can you name the five?" Someone please put me out of my misery! What's that off?

I'm unusually ready for the new issue on it's day of release, so I'll get started on that now. It looks like another good one.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:41 am

necronom wrote:One thing that's been bugging me for a while is an advert for an SF magazine. I know every answer on the page except "Can you name the five?" Someone please put me out of my misery! What's that off?
Battlestar Galactica (the modern one). I won't give you any spoilers.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:55 am

necronom wrote:A great issue.

It wasn't out when we reviewed it, which is why it wasn't mentioned.

Good to hear you enjoyed the issue though.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:06 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
necronom wrote:One thing that's been bugging me for a while is an advert for an SF magazine. I know every answer on the page except "Can you name the five?" Someone please put me out of my misery! What's that off?
Ahhh. I never watched that. Well, actually, I watched the mini series that was on before the main series and was bored out of my mind. Then everyone started saying how amazing it was. I might give it another go some time.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
necronom wrote:A great issue.

It wasn't out when we reviewed it, which is why it wasn't mentioned.

Good to hear you enjoyed the issue though.
I thought they would all be released at the same time these days. Oh well. I just though you'd missed it out accidentally.
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

DoctorForbin

Post by DoctorForbin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:08 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
or 'The Five' could be the Cylon model NO 5five - Doral - the one who is a little like a human baiting Kevin Spacy. (thought I'd go with the Final Five myself too)

Just to say hello - loved the issue and looking forward to 95 - judging by the feedback thread for that issue it has some rocking stuff! Hopefully get myself a sub soon.
THERE...IS...ANOTHER...SYSTEM......

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:24 pm

Its the final five - Necronom has paraphrased the ad so his wording is off, but I know the ad he's referring to.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Its the final five - Necronom has paraphrased the ad so his wording is off, but I know the ad he's referring to.
No, it says exactly "Can you name the five?", though you are probably right with what it means.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:23 am

Oh, in that case it'll be Julian, censored, Anne, George and Timothy ;)

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:38 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Oh, in that case it'll be Julian, censored, Anne, George and Timothy ;)
Ahh..the third random timmy mention this week - I am now freaked anew!

TheRev

Post by TheRev » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:57 pm

Well I picked up an issue which happend to be this one. Living in the states I'm a bit behind.

I enjoyed the issue a great deal I love the fact that there are these things called Articles in them as opposed to lots of pretty pictures and Text written by somebody who probably did not play the game he is writing about (That's what a US Gaming Magazine is like)

I see that Amazon carries Subscriptions for US citizens and I will be picking one up in the near future.

Stand outs include the cover story about Manic Mansion and the Article about the VS Series. I also enjoyed reading about old UK Computer games as they are quite interesting to me.