Issue 94 Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

bounty bob

Re: Issue 94 Feedback Thread

Post by bounty bob » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:07 am

Three issues in a row that I have really loved, this one is the best for a while and I'm not even half way through yet. I am now a born again subscriber! Can't wait to play Space Harrier on my Atari and will definatly order the cartridge as well as download. Just read the forum page and I've made it into the mag again, yippee! Excelent article on Atari and Amiga art also.

Keep up the excelent work.
:D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:32 pm

Bought it from the shops on Saturday and it looks like a nice issue. Really pleased to see a Vs series article though I was slightly disappointed that there were no interviews or new information but just basic stuff I already knew. Still, better than nothing at all and I really liked the run-down of all the characters :)

Oh and Darren, I watched your youtube preview of the mag (where you say somebody will point out a missing character) and I've decided to be picky and point out that you missed 'Serious Mr Karate' (the stronger, 'shin' version of Mr Karate) from SVC Chaos :wink:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Did the Command & Conquer feature make it in ? No one seems to hve mentioned it yet.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 am

Megamixer wrote:
Oh and Darren, I watched your youtube preview of the mag (where you say somebody will point out a missing character) and I've decided to be picky and point out that you missed 'Serious Mr Karate' (the stronger, 'shin' version of Mr Karate) from SVC Chaos :wink:
I didn't miss anything as I didn't write the feature?
Is he an actual separate selectable counter, or is he just a skin (swoparound)with Mr Karate. If he's a skin alternate version (like Mecha Zangief) he wouldn't have been included. If he's a selectable separate character then someone's getting a slap.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:20 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
I didn't miss anything as I didn't write the feature?
Is he an actual separate selectable counter, or is he just a skin (swoparound)with Mr Karate. If he's a skin alternate version (like Mecha Zangief) he wouldn't have been included. If he's a selectable separate character then someone's getting a slap.
He's a selectable character - one of the hidden ones. Basically, he's his own character just like Shin Akuma is separate from Akuma. He has a triple fireball attack (!) and an uppercut that sounds like an explosion.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:02 pm

picked it up today,glad to see from the forum back (even if i am showing my lack of knowledge of what games are scumm in it :oops: )only real stand out is discworld in the classic game but it will still be read cover to cover once i've caught up,i'm about 5 issues behind.
oh and the RetroGT advert in the back of the gameboy doing a soundwave(?) transform raised a smile.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Stevearcade

Post by Stevearcade » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:38 pm

Just skimmed it so far, not had time to give it a proper read. Although while skimming though my 23 month old buy saw the picture of the characters in the Capcom Vs article and excitedly said "Daddy! There...!" and pointed at my Street Fighter 2 arcade machine. A very proud moment.

But I thought there was going to a guide to Bubble Bobble in this issue? Am I just not seeing it, I've had a look through and didn't see any Bubble Bobble stuff :? ?

Anyway, it does look good and I'm going to give it the time it deserves the moment I have a free couple of hours.

:)

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:53 am

Been enjoying my subscription issue (can contributors pay compliments without coming across as sycophantic?).

The next month page raised a chuckle. Talking about horror games and mentioning Project Firestart (a game featuring decapitations and severed arms) and what picture is used to showcase it? One of a sultry woman giving you the "come hither" look in a doorway - as if that's the thing most likely to terrify retro fans. :lol:

(admittedly the low resolution makes her look like Ms Lego, but still...)

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:00 pm

Lots of great stuff this month, but particular highlights for me were:

A moment with Malcolm Evans / Classic Game, Trashman - It's great to see New Generation appear in the mag! It never ceases to amaze me that the great devs of the past are surprised that they, or their work, is remembered, Malcolm Evans being a case in point. His classic, Trashman, is just all sorts of good, and well worth bringing to the attention of anyone who hasn't yet played it.

Making of Maniac Mansion - Not really my sort of game, but the feature was brilliantly put together, and I've always liked its back story and larger than life creators. It also looked great, especially The SCUMM Effect page.

Mapped! and Obscura Machina - A welcome return from two of my favourite features, I love the notated, graphic heavy quality of Mapped!, and the, well, obscure nature of Obscura Machina.

Retrorevivals - A nicely eclectic mix as usual, and great to see a Dragon 32 title given the Retrorevival treatment.

Unconverted - There's just so much mileage to be had from the Unconverted, and this month's quirky choices were inspired.

Classic Game, Discworld - Discworld is clearly made for this type of feature, with lovely rich visuals and equally rich storyline. I thought it was a cracking read, as well as a great looking spread.

Making of Slightly Magic - I either haven't heard of Slightly Magic or have forgotten about it, but whichever it is, I was glad to be brought up to speed by this short yet insightful piece.

Best GBA Games - I really enjoyed this, obviously the original titles only criteria is what really made it. Is this being spun off into a regular one or two page feature by any chance?

Minority Report - Just great game choices here, an excellent Minority Report.

Making of Jones in the Fast Lane - Although this belongs to a genre that I'm less than keen on, the actual article made for a fascinating read. I'm maybe not likely to ever play it, but having read the piece, I do now understand why other gamers love it.

From the Archives, Atari Corp Part 2 - I'll just say that this was easily as good as the exceptional Part 1, the two parts put together are nothing short of essential reading for anyone who wants the definitive low-down on the gaming giant that was Atari.

Well I've written the feedback equivalent of War and Peace, as usual, so it can be taken as read that I thought this month's mag was fantastic as always. :D

merman

Post by merman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:47 pm

Rory Milne wrote:Lots of great stuff this month, but particular highlights for me were:

Well I've written the feedback equivalent of War and Peace, as usual, so it can be taken as read that I thought this month's mag was fantastic as always. :D
Any comments on the Amiga art article? ;)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:35 pm

merman wrote:Any comments on the Amiga art article? ;)
Well, it was the best article on Amiga art that I've ever read. :wink:

Seriously though, it was an incredibly in-depth piece that asked a lot of important questions of the experts taking part. The art chosen to illustrate the feature was genuinely impressive, given the hardware it was created on. Those being interviewed gave interesting answers throughout. The box outs were a nice contrast to the questioning, and not one of them was dull - even the stats. The layouts worked really well, and in general the whole piece was attractive to look at.

Ultimately, though, I just don't have much interest in Amiga art, especially non-game / non-in-game Amiga art, so it didn't make my highlight list.

This is by no means a criticism of your article, or the fact that its subject matter isn't high on my list of interests. Others loved its subject matter, and it deserves its place in this months mag.

It just wouldn't be honest for me to put it on my list of highlights.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Crikey, ever since reading the GBA article, I have been watching a copy of Ninja Cop on E-bay, not kidding when it was said it was getting harder to find a copy at a reasonable price, this is the auction.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130577100546? ... 1423.l2649

Silly money definitely!

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:44 pm

Maybe I should sell my sealed copy then :lol:

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:53 pm

Just scanned quickly through the mag but anyway:

Amiga Art: I had hoped for way more pictures. You could do some small drips regularly? Something like a "Jim Sachs of the month". And where is your exclusive "10 000 leagues under the sea" writeup? Hm? Hm?
Cosmic Avenger: This needs a writeup. I loved the Colecovision version (there was a place in town that rented CVs and games).

merman

Post by merman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:29 am

Rory Milne wrote:
merman wrote:Any comments on the Amiga art article? ;)
Well, it was the best article on Amiga art that I've ever read. :wink:

Seriously though, it was an incredibly in-depth piece that asked a lot of important questions of the experts taking part. The art chosen to illustrate the feature was genuinely impressive, given the hardware it was created on. Those being interviewed gave interesting answers throughout. The box outs were a nice contrast to the questioning, and not one of them was dull - even the stats. The layouts worked really well, and in general the whole piece was attractive to look at.

Ultimately, though, I just don't have much interest in Amiga art, especially non-game / non-in-game Amiga art, so it didn't make my highlight list.

This is by no means a criticism of your article, or the fact that its subject matter isn't high on my list of interests. Others loved its subject matter, and it deserves its place in this months mag.

It just wouldn't be honest for me to put it on my list of highlights.
That's fair enough, thanks for your kind comments.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube