Issue 94 Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

jdanddiet

Re: Issue 94 Feedback Thread

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Um, no. Interesting read though John.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:06 pm

Superlicious magazine once again Darren + team!
GBA feature was well time as I've been thinking about collecting for it, so that'll be a great place to start.
Future Classics was cool this month because I've always overlooked the Mario and Luigi titles (not too keen on Mario rpgs) but being on the GBA, looking cool and funny I'd give it a go.
Haven't read half of it yet, but excited about the Capcom Vs. article and Minority Report which features (from a quick glance) some pretty cool games.
Oh and much obliged for printing my letter, it truly made my day :D

Next month is already too far away!
Chazz it up!!!

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:03 pm

joefish wrote: 2. After a thread and a lead-in about original GBA games (not SNES conversions), what gets featured? Mario Kart, Metroid, Castlevania, Zelda, F-Zero.
Not to be too pedantic, but those all were GBA original games (bar Zelda, unless it was Minish Cap that was mentioned), just later games in a series.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:20 pm

joefish wrote:
2. After a thread and a lead-in about original GBA games (not SNES conversions), what gets featured? Mario Kart, Metroid, Castlevania, Zelda, F-Zero. And after doing all those revisits, SEGA Arcade Classics and Iridion II didn't even make the also-rans? Still, at least it'll keep the second-hand prices down for those who would rather buy some decent games. I'm just going to go back and check to see if Advance Wars was featured. If not... :evil:
It states quite clearly that the feature covers original games that weren't remakes, so Sega Arcade Classics was never going to appear no matter how good it is. Iridion didn't make the cut because it's just not very good, while we didn't want two similar games, so I chose the superior Fire Emblem over Adance Wars.

All the games featured don't appear on any other handheld, so they are original to the GBA, which again is exactly what the article promised. Still lists are contentious anyway and we knew before we even started picking games that people would complain about it. All in all I think it's a pretty great list, but then I would say that. I wrote it...

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:53 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Iridion didn't make the cut because it's just not very good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOtHxCnQ8ss

Yep, you're right. It's rubbish. No-one'd play garbage like that while there's Pokémon uncollected... :x

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:15 pm

I played the censored out of Iridion 2 when I got it. It's incredibly addictive.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:38 am

joefish wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Iridion didn't make the cut because it's just not very good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOtHxCnQ8ss

Yep, you're right. It's rubbish. No-one'd play garbage like that while there's Pokémon uncollected... :x
Was that supposed to impress me?
It's a list mate. Just a list mate.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:43 pm

Like the Amiga art feature, Pippin Atmark bit but still feel the 'From The Archives' section is the best section of the magazine, always learn something new there! Like Minority Report too, recently it has mentioned a couple of Atari games (a rarity! ;))

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:12 am

Just like to say that the past 3 issues have been really good and this months I am finding very interesting. For a while I thought the balance was being lost, but my faith is now well and truly restored. I love the cover too.

Another vote for the Atari article. Really interesting reading.

Ta,
Pete
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:25 am

It baffles me that Pokemon gets so much love in RG mag.. its so childish, and not in a cartoony zelda / rainbow islands etc way which was nice and innocent fun, but just horrible manufactured kiddie saturday morning cartoon fodder with the express aim of selling toys for the company.

Every time I hear that gay pikachu thing make that numpty noise (or any of the other little tw@ts) it makes my balls shrivel up inside my body in pure disgust, as if Gok Wan himself has just come into the room and tried to get me to join in the campest dance he can imagine, whilst wearing ass-less leather trousers..

It absolutely sucks and the thought of anyone over the age of 10 hunched over their hand held console collecting pokemon makes me want to vomit my own face off.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:27 am

ChipTune wrote:It baffles me that Pokemon gets so much love in RG mag.. its so childish, and not in a cartoony zelda / rainbow islands etc way which was nice and innocent fun, but just horrible manufactured kiddie saturday morning cartoon fodder with the express aim of selling toys for the company.

Every time I hear that gay pikachu thing make that numpty noise (or any of the other little tw@ts) it makes my balls shrivel up inside my body in pure disgust, as if Gok Wan himself has just come into the room and tried to get me to join in the campest dance he can imagine, whilst wearing ass-less leather trousers..

It absolutely sucks and the thought of anyone over the age of 10 hunched over their hand held console collecting pokemon makes me want to vomit my own face off.
Um name 5 examples when we've gone mental over Pokemon?
I personally hate them (although I do love Pokemon Pinball)

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:40 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
ChipTune wrote:It baffles me that Pokemon gets so much love in RG mag.. its so childish, and not in a cartoony zelda / rainbow islands etc way which was nice and innocent fun, but just horrible manufactured kiddie saturday morning cartoon fodder with the express aim of selling toys for the company.

Um name 5 examples when we've gone mental over Pokemon?
I personally hate them (although I do love Pokemon Pinball)

Cant think of any exact examples without looking through the mags, but it's the impression Im left with after reading for 3 years. Pokemon games are always mentioned in lists and referenced as being addictive and fantastic games, especially on N64 and GBA .. or gameboy or DS or whatever..

Ive not played the pinball one, I enjoyed Kirby pinball though but I just wouldnt want to play anything using the pokemon license as the whole IP is abhorrent to me.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:52 am

Can't say I've noticed a particular Pokemon bias, if it does get mentioned in passing by the odd contributor who happens to like it then I don't really see what the problem is...

There's no denying, however, the series' popularity, despite YOU not liking it :D
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:52 am

ChipTune, you do realise your avatar is a pokemon, right?

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:37 pm

Cycle wrote:ChipTune, you do realise your avatar is a pokemon, right?
I never even noticed that! Brilliant :lol:

Anyway, I've only had a chance to read about half the Amiga art stuff so far. From what I've read, it's very interesting, if a little fragmented.

Can't wait to read the rest...