Issue 94 Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ChipTune

Issue 94 Feedback Thread

Post by ChipTune » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:18 am

Just received the latest issue through the door (Mon 12th Sept) and upon opening the packet (and immediately screwing up the paper advert for the Android mag) I was pleased to see the awesome Maniac Mansion on the cover.. nice!

Had a quick flick through as as usual seems like a great read..

One MAJOR COINCIDENCE .. last night I sat in the bedroom with my girlfriend, her doing puzzles, me playing on my Megadrive. I decided I would finish a game and picked.. Toejam & Earl.. whizzed through in in about an hour Im guessing (?) and watched the end sequence.. Lo and behold, in the morning Retro Gamer arrives and the END GAME section in the back is.. drum roll.. yes TOEJAM & EARL.. spooky!

Anyway back to the mag and theres some cool stuff I am looking forward to reading..

maniac mansion of course (with anything SCUMM related being essential reading)
a GBA guide to the best games.. handy for rom seeking on my custom firmware PSP
Great reviews section covering recent XBLA games and also JAMESTOWN .. yes!! Bullet Hell comes to steam!
Capcom vs... looks cool
Back to the nineties, the uncoverted, retro shamer and all the regular features are some of my favourites.
The ART OF THE AMIGA.. lush stuff for my eyes.
Slightly Magic.. I loved this Dizzy clone on my C64 back in the day so nice to see it mentioned.

So yes, all good as always, still remains my favourite magazine.. actually the only mag I buy apart from occasional copy of Computer Music.

Started buying more old mags from 1989 - 1994ish such as CVG and ZERO as these are a great read too and these bring back so many memories, even the adverts strike a chord... so I would recommend RG readers getting some old mags from the actual era they loved too!

Szczepaniak

Re: Issue 94 Feedback Thread

Post by Szczepaniak » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:45 am

ChipTune wrote:a GBA guide to the best games.. handy for rom seeking on my custom firmware PSP
Has GBA emulation been perfect then? I clearly need to follow the scene more. Only just started playing NeoGeo Pocket thanks to RACE (man, Faselei is so, so, soooo good).

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:16 pm

Szczepaniak wrote:
ChipTune wrote:a GBA guide to the best games.. handy for rom seeking on my custom firmware PSP
Has GBA emulation been perfect then? I clearly need to follow the scene more. Only just started playing NeoGeo Pocket thanks to RACE (man, Faselei is so, so, soooo good).
Its ok, to be honest I thought my dingoo a320 did it better, but I have an older psp so maybe the newer ones emulate the GBA better.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:18 pm

It's my day off - and it arrived with me having nothing to do all day!!!!!

Already read more than half the mag :o Trying to convince myself to read the Capcom fighter Vs thing............
The Amiga artist bit is a bloody brilliant read - we need more! C64 next please!!!

Back to the 80's/90's as usual are excellent.
From the forum :D :D back to normal!
Homebrew - some good looking games there - that Atari 8-bit Spaceharrier looks really good. Will be grabbing a download of that at some point.
Part 2 of Atari was as good as part 1 :D

Must save some for later in the month.

Excellent issue - thanks to Darran and the team :D :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:28 pm

Nice cover :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:30 pm

Bloody hell, I've just started issue 92. Quite the backlog. Stupid bloody life getting in the way.

Must set aside a few hours later in the week!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:54 pm

Kudos to whoever at Imagine for imaginatively getting "around" the format sticker that was on my scanned original heh. Now to actually pick up the issue and have a browse through... probably Wednesday.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:02 pm

the_hawk wrote:Bloody hell, I've just started issue 92. Quite the backlog. Stupid bloody life getting in the way.

Pah! Life! Read!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:25 pm

Was pleased to come home from work and find this on my doormat today, the same day as the new Atari User Magazine came out too!!!!

Had a bit of a flick through it and read it in parts and seems to be a rather good issue. The Atari -Tramiel years article of couse was rather excellent and the article on Slightly Magic brought the memories back of a game I had long forgotten.

The particular highlight for me though was actually being mentioned in this months magazine!!! :D

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:37 pm

the_hawk wrote:Bloody hell, I've just started issue 92. Quite the backlog. Stupid bloody life getting in the way.

I started reading issue 89 last night.
Splink!

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:44 pm

How can you not have enough time to read a magazine.. thats depressing.. Surely if you are some super busy multimillionaire or something you could just read it on the toilet when going for number 2.. you'd read the mag in a week if your bowels are anything like mine haha.

seriously though.. just goto bed earlier, give the wife / girlfriend a good seeing to so she nods off and then read retro gamer until you cant keep your eyes open any more.. works a treat!

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Liked the GBA piece, and especially happy to see the awesome Guru Logi Champ get some much-deserved kudos, but since when was Bit Generations: Digidrive about "propelling a disc as far as possible"? None of the BG series fit that description, and Digidrive is a chaos-management action-puzzler set on a road junction.

Also, the best skyscraper in a game is CLEARLY the one in Crazy Climber.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:05 pm

The Amiga picture by Lazur is beautiful.

The whole magazine is brilliant, but the Amiga Art article really is superb - MORE please

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:21 pm

BennyTheGreek wrote:The Amiga picture by Lazur is beautiful.

The whole magazine is brilliant, but the Amiga Art article really is superb - MORE please
I personally would like to vote for there being much, much less Amiga art. One feature in 94 issues is at least one too many.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Loved the Amiga art feature, I spend many many hours on Deluxe Paint 3 and 4 making pixel perfect copies of pictures or cartoon animations, morphing faces the list goes on, amazing program back then.