New Vs Old Marvel Vs Capcom

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

New VS Old Marvel Vs Capcom Vs Marvel Vs Capcom 3

Marvel Vs Capcom
69%
Marvel Vs Capcom 3
31%

Total votes: 16

Darran@Retro Gamer

New Vs Old Marvel Vs Capcom

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:11 pm

For the letters page :)

thevulture

Re: New Vs Old Marvel Vs Capcom

Post by thevulture » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:28 pm

:? No MVC2? Always found 1st game a little...lacking, but loved 2 so much bought on DC, then Xbox...

MVC3 not really 'doing' it for me at moment, so where do i vote, boss?

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Another vote for the original from me, all the messing around with the DLC content has put me off the third one.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:15 pm

IronMaidenRule wrote:Another vote for the original from me, all the messing around with the DLC content has put me off the third one.
+1 to that. The single-player mode is really limited too.

MvC2 is easily the best but the first game is still really fun and better than MvC3. Don't get me wrong, the most recent game is very playable and a good fighter but Capcom's 90's sprites and classic 2D gameplay is unbeatable.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:23 pm

MvC3 for me - I prefer the cast of characters on the whole (better range of Marvel characters) and I've grown to prefer the gameplay style of the 3rd game compared to the other 2 games (even though X Factor can ruin the game a bit at times)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Skull Commander

Post by Skull Commander » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:23 am

For me the Marvel Vs Capcom series have always been fun, but no where as good as the 'core' Street Fighter games, the X-Men/Marvel games, the Alpha series, or the Capcom vs Snk ones.

In this poll I voted for the first one, as I'm not hugely impressed with the third. It feels a bit of a step backwards from MvC2, and is a bit lacking overall. It also feels too simplistic and isn't up to the usual standards that Capcom usually maintain.

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:31 am

I can't stand the lack of depth and variety in favor of price gauging the customers. I'll take a small cast of well developed characters over a DLC-fest anyday.

Mr.Saturn

Post by Mr.Saturn » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:44 pm

Well MvC over MvC3, by virtue of the fact you don't have to pay for the extra bits. Mind, imagine if you'd to pay for the extras in MvC2, how broke would you be?

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:11 pm

Second was miles better.....but if I had to choose those 2, definitely the third one, the first was a bit...slow?

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:01 pm

RetroMartin wrote:Second was miles better.....but if I had to choose those 2, definitely the third one, the first was a bit...slow?
What did you play it on? I have both the DC and PS1 versions and the PS1 version is very crippled and far too big a game to work properly on the console. It's a respectable effort for what it is but not a patch on the Dreamcast version.

If you mean the gameplay itself then yeah, I guess it wasn't as manic at that stage. Speed-wise, the first game is closer to the earlier Vs titles. You've still got all your air combos, insane hyper combos etc. though so I think it's just a case of the series evolving and having to be faster and crazier to keep people interested.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:28 pm

I'm really struggling to get into MVC3 so I vote MVC but my actual fave is MVC2.
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:53 am

Megamixer wrote:
RetroMartin wrote:Second was miles better.....but if I had to choose those 2, definitely the third one, the first was a bit...slow?
What did you play it on? I have both the DC and PS1 versions and the PS1 version is very crippled and far too big a game to work properly on the console. It's a respectable effort for what it is but not a patch on the Dreamcast version.

If you mean the gameplay itself then yeah, I guess it wasn't as manic at that stage. Speed-wise, the first game is closer to the earlier Vs titles. You've still got all your air combos, insane hyper combos etc. though so I think it's just a case of the series evolving and having to be faster and crazier to keep people interested.
The first MvC on the Playstation is insanely slow on PAL consoles. I played my copy a couple of months back and air combo's seemed to work in slow motion :lol: MvC2 actually feels faster than the third one for me since I find it harder to combo on the whole (or that MvC3 is just dead simple to combo with almost anything it seems).

Not sure which game I'd prefer between 2 and 3 though. I prefer the cast of 3 (less X Men) but I've still sunk way more time into MvC2...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:29 pm

While I haven't played it as much as I played MVC2, I feel they got a lot of balance things right with the new game. Both in terms of characters, and mechanics.
It's called a MEGADRIVE