Have any of you heard of Acorn etc.

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6478
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: re:

Post by merman » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:01 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:
sjstimer wrote: I once attached a BBC B to my house to control the curtains opening/closing and the lights on or off, try doing that with a amstrad cpc.
You need help man. :shock:
No, it's cool. Gadget called RED BOX developed here in Cambridge, saw a demonstration of it at a computer club once. One master box plugged into the computer, up to six boxes for controlling various things - lights on a timer, curtains closing and opening, acting as a burglar alarm. Was ahead of its time really.

User avatar
necronom
Posts: 5648
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:23 pm
Location: Middlesbrough

Post by necronom » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:37 pm

At school, we used BBCs to "secure" a shoe box (with sweets in it), by using mercury switches, light detectors etc. wired up to the Beeb. We then had to get the sweets from another team's box. Good fun.

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Post by markopoloman » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:58 pm

Cant see what all the fuss is about :?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... otland.jpg

User avatar
Randall Flagg
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:21 am
Location: The Underwurlde
Contact:

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:14 pm

Can I just state something that used to, and still does bug the sh1t out of me....

It's people that call the acorn "ELECTRON" the "ACORN".

Acorn made several computers!!!!

It was so annoying that people who owned one just couldn't grasp that it was called an "Electron".

A typical playground conversation with the new kid....

Q. So what computer have you got?

A. Oh, An acorn.

Q. An Acorn F**KING WHAT....You TWWWAAAAATTTTT??????
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:07 am

This is common in a lot of fields now. I often write for the design press, and am pretty well versed in various bits of software. Of late, though, I've noticed people using "Quark" (which is a company name) rather than XPress (the name of Quark's product) or "Adobe" when they're referring to "Photoshop"...
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Imhotep
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:40 am
Location: Oxford

Re:

Post by Imhotep » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:45 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I do understand, but you're effectively asking us to change the magazine on your whim, because you feel cheated that your favourite machine isn't justifiably covered.

Now how is that fair?

So what happens when the Vic 20, NES, Atari ST, Master System, Lynx, Game Boy, MSXand ZX81 owners start asking for charts, are we suppossed to put all those in as well?
As it won't be long in the charts before the ST will start to outsell the Acorn games even if you put in an Acorn chart, there would be a very strong case to have it replaced within a short time. And they will start complaining even more if they have a chart and then it's replaced.

I suggest the Acorn fans go onto Ebay and buy some C+VG's from the mid to late eighties and see just how relevent their machine was. The magazine is called "Retro Gamer"! Go and look at the leading industry multiformat games publication of the day and see how much coverage the BBC actually gets post '85 with the home computer boom in full swing!

And yes this is like a playground debate. The only difference is that the Acorn fan would have have now been beaten up and dumped in a skip by everyone else who owned one of the big three (who would have then turned on each other).

Finally, I would like to see a feature on Superior Software. Not because of their BBC connection but because they survived for so long. Was it a one man and his dog operation or did they have offices like Ocean/etc?
Superior Software had offices in Leeds, although I wouldn't have thought quite on the scale of the likes of Ocean etc. They release some of their games on Spectrum/Commodore/Amstrad but not to massive success.

And they still exist, surely the one of the longest running software companies ? same company run by the same people www.superiorinteractive.com although the new stuff is all PC based .

And it is true that when you say 'Acorn' people automatically think of the Electron, and not the BBC or Archimedes or Risc PC etc etc, I had an Electron in the mid 80s and to be honest it was crap, and quickly changed to a BBC.

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:57 am

I think Superior's cross-overs faltered somewhat because Repton was its biggest draw, and most of the other 8-bits had already sampled Boulder Dash. Although comparisons between the two are somewhat unfair—despite some very similar elements, they are fundamentally different games to play, with Boulder Dash being more reaction-based, and Repton being more of a puzzler—that's exactly what happened, with Repton being seem as a sluggish Boulder Dash clone.

I recall Zzap! giving Repton something like 49 per cent and largely going "meh" (EDIT: in fact, it's here), and the fairly similar Bone Cruncher met with a similar reaction. By Fair Means or Foul was pretty funny though, and quite playable.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6478
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re:

Post by merman » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:53 am

CraigGrannell wrote:I think Superior's cross-overs faltered somewhat because Repton was its biggest draw, and most of the other 8-bits had already sampled Boulder Dash. Although comparisons between the two are somewhat unfair—despite some very similar elements, they are fundamentally different games to play, with Boulder Dash being more reaction-based, and Repton being more of a puzzler—that's exactly what happened, with Repton being seem as a sluggish Boulder Dash clone.

I recall Zzap! giving Repton something like 49 per cent and largely going "meh" (EDIT: in fact, it's here), and the fairly similar Bone Cruncher met with a similar reaction. By Fair Means or Foul was pretty funny though, and quite playable.
I prefer Repton to Boulderdash personally. The only thing that lets Repton 3 down on the C64 is the jerky scrolling.

User avatar
LeeT
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:36 pm

Post by LeeT » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:20 am

Repton is a pretty good C64 conversion, and I still play it now and again (probably because of memories of an Acorn Electron owning-mate who used to always bang on about the latest game in the series!)

AEX
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:46 am
Location: IRELAND
Contact:

Re:

Post by AEX » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:28 am

Dudley wrote:
bounty bob wrote:I would agree with sjstimer. Retro Gamer magazine is a global magazine,
No it isn't. It's a british magazine that other people happen to buy. It's therefore going to concentrate on what the brits are interested in.

Retro gamer is avaliable for international licencing. Maybe you should talk to your local publishing companies.
Dudley,

The world doesn't revolve around Britain, and although Retro Gamer is a UK based product, it is exported via Imagine to distributors worldwide. I think the magazine does have a Bias towards the "Big 3" home computers of the 80's, but the UK also had thousands of other consumers who purchased those "other" computers.

A lot of those "other" computers were also popular outside GB, and it doesn't hurt anybody learning about new machines from the past, no matter how non-brit-centric they might be.

I'd like to see more diversity, and although these forums could be flooded with "I wanna see more of" posts, I think Retro Gamer should embrace the world and enjoy all the hardware and software that makes Retro Gaming great.

Karl
Atari Historical Society
----------------------------
www.atariexplorer.com (offline)
www.atarimuseum.com

User avatar
Randall Flagg
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:21 am
Location: The Underwurlde
Contact:

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:41 am

AEX wrote:
Dudley wrote:
bounty bob wrote:I would agree with sjstimer. Retro Gamer magazine is a global magazine,
No it isn't. It's a british magazine that other people happen to buy. It's therefore going to concentrate on what the brits are interested in.

Retro gamer is avaliable for international licencing. Maybe you should talk to your local publishing companies.
Dudley,

The world doesn't revolve around Britain, and although Retro Gamer is a UK based product, it is exported via Imagine to distributors worldwide. I think the magazine does have a Bias towards the "Big 3" home computers of the 80's, but the UK also had thousands of other consumers who purchased those "other" computers.

A lot of those "other" computers were also popular outside GB, and it doesn't hurt anybody learning about new machines from the past, no matter how non-brit-centric they might be.

I'd like to see more diversity, and although these forums could be flooded with "I wanna see more of" posts, I think Retro Gamer should embrace the world and enjoy all the hardware and software that makes Retro Gaming great.

Karl
If the british market all stopped buying RG tomorrw I think it would be in sum financial shtum!

You have to cater for your biggest market.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:14 am

Gnh!

Guys: maybe you should just chill out, take a deep breath, and then pick up this conversation in six months, once you've seen more than one or two issues of the new mag. Darran's categorically stated that he's aiming for a wide-ranging approach, which encompasses as many machines as possible. He's also very much un-biased (well, perhaps with the exception of the CPC!) with regards to hardware—he just wants interesting, well-written features in the mag about retro-oriented games and machines.

Sure, issue "one" (19) was a bit Speccy-oriented, but that was likely to rope in the bulk of the UK readership and bring them back to the mag. But #20 brought further variety, as, no doubt, will future issues.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

User avatar
Crunchy
Posts: 2123
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:43 am
Location: Claymorgue Castle

Post by Crunchy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:23 am

Can't believe this thread is staggering on towards a seventh page.
Of course it doesn't help if people like me keep posting in it.
I feel I must do my bit though to get the little feller to it's seventh page of the same old points of view going round and round in circles.
CraigGrannell's said it all really. Anything else is just raking over the coals.
What about that whale in the thames though, eh? Blimey. :shock:

Onwards people! Onwards to page eight! We could get this thread into double figures if we all pull together! Who's with me!? :D

User avatar
Kaede
Posts: 955
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:22 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by Kaede » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:29 am

fack off

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:35 am

Crunchy wrote:What about that whale in the thames though, eh? Blimey. :shock:
The Thames is clearly biased towards northern bottle-nosed whales. Blue whales never get a look in.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest