Have any of you heard of Acorn etc.

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:29 am

In addition to that I also remember some magazines including top ten listing for BBC micro (and MSX for that matter).

Regards :D
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:34 am

Randall Flagg wrote:It would appear though that the retrogamer staff have assumed that their school experience of Spectrum,C64,Amstrad as top dogs is being pushed as the unbreakable rule and therefore what the whole country was experiencing and it just ain't true.
I very much doubt that's the case. It's not like Retro Gamer is only covering the C64, Speccy and Amstrad, and other platforms regularly appear. (The "Back to..." article's a partial exception, but that too looks at other platforms.)

Again, I'll ask: which BBC games do you think need to be covered in the mag (aside from Repton, Elite and Exile, which have been done to death in various publications)? I'm sure it'd be of use to Darran if huge BBC fans provided some idea of games to cover.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:42 am

NP. Will compile a list although I think the point is being missed really. Its not that anyone is demanding specific features and articles on specific BBC games (although that would be nice), its just a request to be generally recognise as one of the UKs 8 bit computers and not just thrown in the Misc 8 bit computer pile.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:12 am

Boffin, Castle Quest, Cholo, Citadel, Codename Droid, Contraption,
Bone Cruncher, Dare Devil Dennis, Cylon Attack, Dr Who and the Mines od terror, Escape from Moonbase Alpha,Firetrack, Frak, Green Beret, Gyroscope, Imogen, Labyrinth,, Magic Mushrooms, Palace of Magic,
Bug Eyes, Powerplay - Game of the Gods, Psychastria, Raid Over Moscow, Ravenskull, REVS, XLRC, XOR, War, Thrust, The Hacker, Strykers run, Sentinel, Starship Command.

Appologies if any of these are ports from other platforms. Perhaps others can add to this list, this is just a few off the top of my head.
Retrotechy.

Wil

Post by Wil » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:24 am

Frak! and Acornsoft's great range like Planetoids, Freefall etc. (sorry, just noticed you'd already put in Frak).

TBH I always saw the Beeb as one of the big 3 rather than Amstrad.

Perhaps it was lying in bed all Sunday morning watching a Mirco Live special with Fred Harris, Chris Searle and Ian McNaught-Davies!

TMR

Re:

Post by TMR » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:30 am

Randall Flagg wrote:Appologies if any of these are ports from other platforms. Perhaps others can add to this list, this is just a few off the top of my head.
Gyroscope was a port from the Spectrum if memory serves, Raid Over Moscow was a C64 title to start with and the Beeb version of W.A.R was based on the Spectrum and Amstrad versions - none of which look or play like the C64 version, which is horizontal scrolling and more akin to Uridium (although less so than it looked before the name was changed from Ad Infinitum). i think that Cholo started on the Spectrum too, but i'm not sure of that one and Green Beret was an arcade port. =-)

T'be honest, you already listed everything i'd have mentioned (i have a fondness for shoot 'em ups, so Firetrack would've been the first out of the bag) but one that woud be nice to mention now perhaps is LazerChess that was released recently on the Electron after the developer found it on a work disk from some sixteen years ago; was added to the Lost And Found at Stairway To Hell a couple of days ago so counts as current news. =-)

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:05 am

Am pretty sure that Chollo was a BBC first game b4 being ported to other platforms.
Retrotechy.

Sparrowhawk

Post by Sparrowhawk » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:36 am

I have fond memories of the Acornsoft adventure games (Riddle of the Sphinx for example).

Elite of course, Revvs, Frak, Galaxians/Scramble/Defender/etc

The Beeb games were great. :)

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:50 am

What about the Jupiter Ace!? Shockingly neglected by the magazines. Shocking. Just shocking!
I nearly owned one.
There was a game released for it too. So I heard. It might have been for the Oric.

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:54 am

Crunchy wrote:What about the Jupiter Ace!? Shockingly neglected by the magazines. Shocking. Just shocking!
I nearly owned one.
There was a game released for it too. So I heard. It might have been for the Oric.
LOL.
Retrotechy.

LeeT

Re: re:

Post by LeeT » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:27 am

Randall Flagg wrote: Thats just complete crap. There were far more BBC and Electron users than there were Amstrad CPC users at my school. To compare BBC/ electron users to Dragon 32 or MSX users is completely ridiculous.
You can't really go on what the main 8-bit computers were, by looking at your school. The BBC was probably the highest priced 8-bit computer in the mid 80's and only the well-off kids tended to have them. The Spectrum was the best selling home computer in the uk, whilst the C64 was in the Guinness Book of Records are being the best selling home computer around the world. The Amstrad CPC had always been regarded as the third biggest seller. I would probably put the BBC (along with the C16/Plus 4) as possibly fourth.
In fact I'm pretty sure that in my year at school bbc owners may have even out numbered C64 owners. I only ever remember two of my mates having one. Yes, the speccy was number one for numbers.
Again you can't realistically look at one school. If so, then at my school loads of people had Speccys, a few had C64's, two had Electrons and one had an Atari. But it would have been different around the country.
I still to this day, only know one person who owned a Dragon 32, likewise with an MSX so to compare the BBC Micro to that is unbelievable.
If you went in most indie games shops in the 80's, most of the'lesser known formats' of games would be relegated to a couple of shelves. This includes the BBC (sad but true).
The BBC and Electron, as well as having great arcade conversions and the cream of other platforms software converted to it had loads of its own games as well. To think of this as an educational machine is just so narrow minded and typically bias.
I already stated that I would like to see an article on the BBC in RG (especially on the games). I've been a member of 'Stairway To Hell' for ages now and have played some great games on the BBC. Due to Acorn's marketing (and it being in every school in the 80's) it was mostly regarded as an educational computer.
What this would appear to basically come down to is that the RG staff were all Speccy / C64 / Amstrad owners and therefore in their opinion no other computer warrants regular coverage.
I'm sure the BBC will be covered in RG but theres no need to think there is some kind of conspiracy against BBC owners (judging from the tone of your posts). Its a bit much to expect regular coverage of a minority machine. Maybe if people who are coding new projects send their stuff into darran, then it will be covered in the scene column?

Sureshot

Re:

Post by Sureshot » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:28 pm

Randall Flagg wrote:Boffin, Castle Quest, Cholo, Citadel, Codename Droid, Contraption,
Bone Cruncher, Dare Devil Dennis, Cylon Attack, Dr Who and the Mines od terror, Escape from Moonbase Alpha,Firetrack, Frak, Green Beret, Gyroscope, Imogen, Labyrinth,, Magic Mushrooms, Palace of Magic,
Bug Eyes, Powerplay - Game of the Gods, Psychastria, Raid Over Moscow, Ravenskull, REVS, XLRC, XOR, War, Thrust, The Hacker, Strykers run, Sentinel, Starship Command.

Appologies if any of these are ports from other platforms. Perhaps others can add to this list, this is just a few off the top of my head.
Adding games:

Bananaman
Quest
Sorcerer (edited from Sorcery)
Free Fall
Desperate Dan's Dungeon
3D Dotty
Ghouls
Grand Prix Construction Set
Perplexity
Qwak
Blagger
Karl's Kavern
Cyborg Warriors
Network
Ricochet
Jetboat
Ewgeebez
Spellbinder
Tetra Pod
Suburban Fox (if you really HAD to include something a bit educational :P)

Could always do something on the cheeky ports as well, like Skirmish (Joust), Mr. Ee (Mr. Do) and so on.
Last edited by Sureshot on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:56 pm

"It's a conspiricy against all other 8-bit owners." All I was trying to point out, was that the magazine shouldn't be changed to a mixture of New Crash or New Zap. The magazine was a brilliant seller, and a brilliant read because it covered a wide range of computers/consoles and tried to keep it fair. It was never bias to specific machines. I learn't a lot about other machines and games through retro gamer and still am. All I was trying to point out was that if each magazine was filled with C64/Spectrum/Amstrad as the main coverage and all the rest with a a page or two between them, then in my opinion readship would probably go down and not up.

If your going to do a poll, then maybe it shouldn't just be "the main three" it should have a couple of others and/or an "others" so that the people who owned something different could also vote.

I apologise for what I said erlier about trying to change history, I just felt strongly and thats what came out at the time.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

TMR

Re: re:

Post by TMR » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:04 am

LeeT wrote:Maybe if people who are coding new projects send their stuff into darran, then it will be covered in the scene column?
If the problems i've had trying to find programming and cross assembly info (i know there's a built-in assembler, but i'm too used to the power and flexibility of cross assembling these days) is anything to go by, hardly anyone is doing new software; certainly the Beeb isn't documented like the Speccy, 264 series, Atari 8-bits or especially the VCS and C64 and all the recent releases are old code that's been found like LazerChess over on Stairway To Hell for example... Any of the Beeb fans care to enlighten me, i'll even use Dasm if i have to...!

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:26 pm

I don't want to go over same ground again, just want to pledge my support for the Beeb. At my school it was also the second most popular after the Speccy and was my first and still my favourite computer.
It deserves a little more notice but looses out in the 'cool' stakes to the C64 perhaps.
Oh, and my Mum was working for a computer sales company at the start of the eighties so I got my Beeb for half-price!! Not only rich kids had them you know! (Another popular misconception I think!)
Nevertheless, I'm happy with the mix of machines covered in the magazines.
And lastly, the Beeb definitely did have the best version of Chuckie Egg!