Feedback Issue 93

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

paranoid marvin

Re: Feedback Issue 93

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:01 pm

RG has always done things in homage to mags of the past , and fan letters is no exception (I seem to remember Crash section on letters running to several pages). Some are humourous,some serious ; some raise good points and others defy explanation. I'm not sure that removing 'from the forum' or shortening the letters pages , thus taking away reader's input into the mag is a good idea, or what any crtiics were intending when they asked for change.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:38 pm

Is it normal that once again the digital copy via iOS isn't available yet? :(

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:£6.50 for one of the greatest handheld adventures ever made is pretty reasonable in my book.
Did the ROM go up 10p in price since the review went to print then? :mrgreen:

Seriously though, that's fair comment. We're only talking opinion after all. :D

On another note, while I've still not yet managed to have more than a cursory flick the issue 93's pages, I'd very much like to extend all due respect to RG for giving decent space for the review of Deflex on page 97. As an avid gamer of both retro and current-gen platforms I'm a huge fan of Llamasoft/Jeff Minter's games over the years so props to all at RG for devoting sufficient space in the mag' to his latest retro-inspired cool releases on iOS too. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:52 am

ChipTune wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:Seriously? What a nutter! Still he must be reading the mag still, eh?
It's probably just loads of people making up letters and saying it's by him to keep it as some kind of running joke.. It's not very interesting anyway and I'm glad the magazine isn't wasting space on this kind of pointless drivvel.
I quite liked the letters by other people, talking about him - you know, as if they knew him. The one about him making some guys parents get a divorce was a proper coffee through my nose laugh out loud moment. :lol:

EDIT:
Also, since people are talking about it. I loved the board game feature. Great to see RG move out of its comfort zone for something a little bit unusual. Failure to be inventive will be the death of the magazine. As someone said, it was only 6 pages out of 114. As a subscriber I'd like to see further such creative endeavours. If you can actually contact some of the people involved with translating a videogame to a board game, even better!

Have fun with new ideas. Explore fascinating avenues. Do stuff which is interesting - don't be afraid of upsetting a few stalwarts by having 6 pages out of 114 do something slightly different. I want to be surprised each month when I get my sub in the post.

Is the board games things really controversial?

I recall Ash Day wrote a board game feature YEARS ago for a special one off retro magazine Imagine Publishing did, which has been one of my favourite retro-themed article for many years, simply because it allows me to see this pass time in a new light.

Stu Campbell's videogame pinball feature was also ace.

Heck, I'd like to see coverage on non-videogame single player board games (or wargames as some say) from the late 1970s early 1980s. Like those Simulations Publications Inc (SPI). For example Wreck of the Pandora and other such unusual things. These types of games influenced the early game developers back in the day.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:04 am

Stevearcade wrote:The Board Games Article is controversial :? ! WTF! It took up 6 pages in a 114 page magazine and covered board games based on some of the best video games ever. I thought it was quirky, interesting and typical of what makes this magazine so bloody good!!!
Quite. One-off, never to be repeated articles like this are part of what keeps a magazine interesting. And these things are all directly linked to classic videogames, so I really don't understand what the problem is. Making-ofs/interviews (in the chair and Drury's DIDs, in particular) will always remain my favourite part of the mag, but I'd hate for that to be all it ever considered doing.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:12 am

At some point I'd like to see an article on pinball machines.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:15 am

I was actually looking forward to reading the board games article since it was mentioned in the letters page a couple of issues ago, probably because I have fond memories of the Pac-Man game. In fact you could say that it was my first videogame-related experience!

I understand that the letters page isn't exactly everybody's favourite section, and I agree with the decision to cut it down in lieu of the forum comments, but I really missed the forum content, particularly the "From the Forum" question (I believe it was going to be "What's your favourite SNES game?"). Was it elsewhere in the magazine and I just didn't notice?

I always love the collector articles but am I the only one who has trouble distinguishing the colour code for the two rarest sets? I have Earth Defence Force on the SNES and I'm pretty sure it's rare but I can't seem to work out how rare. Maybe it's my eyes :D .
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

retrowow

Post by retrowow » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:25 am

great issues apart form the snes article, it left many things out for collectors boxed variations, satellaview, exercise bike add on and many other rare games
also didnt list the kiosks a biggie for collectors and boxed variations. but i guess we can have everything we want just a shame as i feel more was put in on previous two issues.

walrus

Post by walrus » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:26 am

I agree with the above posters, I enjoyed the board games article and enjoying seeing these kind of articles. Early games programmers took inspiration from a number of sources so anything which has provided considerable inspiration to the development of games has a legitimate connection to me. This article was just that inspiration feeding back to board games. They were popular at the time. I had the Pac Man one too and I know people who had a couple of the others. Judging from the article I had the best of the bunch.

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:45 am

I was just about to (re)buy the Pac-Man board game from eBay. Spooky!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:54 am

retrowow wrote:great issues apart form the snes article, it left many things out for collectors boxed variations, satellaview, exercise bike add on and many other rare games
also didnt list the kiosks a biggie for collectors and boxed variations. but i guess we can have everything we want just a shame as i feel more was put in on previous two issues.
I see this series as almost a "beginners guide to collecting" so appreciate that in depth stuff may be missing. I'm sure you could dedicate 20 pages to the sort of depth you indicate above, but that's not going to happen is it?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:38 am

Lorfarius wrote:At some point I'd like to see an article on pinball machines.
Just regular pinball, or pinball tables based on videogames? Because Stu Campbell covered the latter at some point (can't recall which issue).

Now that you've mentioned it, I wouldn't mind reading an article on pinball - what's the first officially recognised table to have been made? Who came up with the idea? Did they know it would be popular? And so on.

I suppose I could find the answer on the internet, but imagine the fun of reading a feature where Daz and Stu visit some kind of pinball museum, complete with hi-jinx and photography.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:06 am

Stevearcade wrote:The Board Games Article is controversial :? ! WTF! It took up 6 pages in a 114 page magazine and covered board games based on some of the best video games ever. I thought it was quirky, interesting and typical of what makes this magazine so bloody good!!!
CraigGrannell wrote: Quite. One-off, never to be repeated articles like this are part of what keeps a magazine interesting.
At the risk of picking nits...

Darran talking about the board game feature on YouTube: "We'd love to know your feedback on this because maybe we'll resurrect it as a two page monthly or bi-monthly feature later on. We'll see how it goes."

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:34 pm

Well, I had no idea about that. If it's interesting, fair enough, but I'd sooner see more leftfield content than one leftfield article forced into being a regular. I think my OMG BOARD GAMES I HAD THAT enthusiasm might wane if we got 'vaguely retro-game-themed board game of the month'.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:39 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:Well, I had no idea about that. If it's interesting, fair enough, but I'd sooner see more leftfield content than one leftfield article forced into being a regular. I think my OMG BOARD GAMES I HAD THAT enthusiasm might wane if we got 'vaguely retro-game-themed board game of the month'.
Completely agree, it would be great to see the mag have a small section devoted to other types of Retro gaming in general. Something similar to the idea we were discussing in the QA board http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=30017

Really enjoyed the board game feature in this months issue.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.