Feedback Issue 93

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

pantal00ns

Re: Feedback Issue 93

Post by pantal00ns » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:46 am

jdanddiet wrote:It didn't even register with me that the board game feature was controversial - it's about board games based on Computer games and made a nice variation. Greatly enjoyed it.
I think it would be more contentious if it was a feature on Blackboard games, played just before the register would be called.

From what I have read its been another good issue, although its currently lost or hidden/destroyed by my youngest.

Any feature for an Odin game is good to see, Rastan was very well presented and covered.

Looking forward to reading the Atari feature assuming I can recover the mag. :(

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:07 am

Brilliant issue. Love the Board Games feature.

That is all.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:11 am

In 2011, people still want a letters page?

If only there were some other way to write to the magazine and if appropriate get an answer the same day from either the staff or another reader...

Perhaps I should start a thread on the forum to ask the staff and readers what they think we could call it.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:01 am

I personally like how the letters page has trimmed down to 2 pages, it feels like a lot of the "fat" has been trimmed.

The letters page is a good old call back to the great gaming mags of the 80's & early 90's so I wouldn't want to see it go completely.

As much as I love seeing my "name" & avatar appearing in the mag I'm not too fussed about losing the from the forum bit as I've already read the comments on here anyway.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:37 pm

the_hawk wrote: As much as I love seeing my "name" & avatar appearing in the mag I'm not too fussed about losing the from the forum bit as I've already read the comments on here anyway.
My brother raised a good point though...he isn't on the forums, and has no wish to join, but he was interested in reading what people on the forums were saying about stuff in a nice, short, edited form.....

I don't know...I think it was fine as it was too...but you're never going to be able to please everybody!
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:24 am

the_hawk wrote:The letters page is a good old call back to the great gaming mags of the 80's & early 90's so I wouldn't want to see it go completely.
Same here, as Dudley says its funny in the year 2011 you have a letters page but to me its another nod back to the old days. Same as if RG had the odd map of a game or something. Would like to see 'playing tips' with cheats/maps but obviously with the amount of different consoles/computers and of course games it might not be the best idea, shame though.

I'm still disappointed the phone numbers for the old hags isnt in the back pages anymore ! ;)

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:37 am

deadpan666 wrote:
the_hawk wrote: As much as I love seeing my "name" & avatar appearing in the mag I'm not too fussed about losing the from the forum bit as I've already read the comments on here anyway.
My brother raised a good point though...he isn't on the forums, and has no wish to join, but he was interested in reading what people on the forums were saying about stuff in a nice, short, edited form.....

I don't know...I think it was fine as it was too...but you're never going to be able to please everybody!
and I think it's been mentioned by Darran before that only a small percentage of the readership are on the forum, therefore for most it will be new material and may encourage them to join the forum...or not of course :wink:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:35 am

Dudley wrote:In 2011, people still want a letters page?
You'd be surprised. In mag polls and surveys, letters pages come up very highly regarded; also, they are still a good way of encouraging feedback (which, at the best of times, is often hard to come by). Forums are fine, but the vast majority of any magazine's readership—even for technically oriented magazines—isn't on the forum.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:25 am

jdanddiet wrote:
deadpan666 wrote:

and I think it's been mentioned by Darran before that only a small percentage of the readership are on the forum, therefore for most it will be new material and may encourage them to join the forum...or not of course :wink:
It encouraged me to join. The community aspect that the magazine seemed to empthasise was what drew me here, "from the forum", readers questions during interviews, "Let's All Play" were things that convinced me to sign up. I always like the From the Forum feature, usually it's topics I had little to no interest in so it was good to see the shorter bite sized points, saves me trawling through to find the one or two gems!

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:06 am

Being on the forum, I thought that 'Let's all Play' was too much, but I did like the 'from the forum'' comments - looking over the avatars to see if mine was there. It was only a tiny bit of the magazine and - to be honest - I hadn't actually noticed it was gone. But please can we have it back?

If anything, it seemed to be the only source of rational, reasoned discussion threads on the forum itself!
I think by taking it away, you damage the forum as much as the magazine.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:26 am

Just to say a big "thank you" to all in involved at Retro Gamer for issue 93 - one of the best issues yet, imho. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:29 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Just to say a big "thank you" to all in involved at Retro Gamer for issue 93 - one of the best issues yet, imho. :D
oh I thought you were going to moan about there not being enough 3DS coverage.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:49 am

jdanddiet wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Just to say a big "thank you" to all in involved at Retro Gamer for issue 93 - one of the best issues yet, imho. :D
oh I thought you were going to moan about there not being enough 3DS coverage.
:lol:
Don't worry, the review of the Zelda LttP re-release on 3DS that made no comment whatsoever on the ROM's jaw dropping £6.40 asking price had me stewing quite satisfactorily! :mrgreen:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:06 pm

£6.50 for one of the greatest handheld adventures ever made is pretty reasonable in my book.

Stevearcade

Post by Stevearcade » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:21 pm

The Board Games Article is controversial :? ! WTF! It took up 6 pages in a 114 page magazine and covered board games based on some of the best video games ever. I thought it was quirky, interesting and typical of what makes this magazine so bloody good!!!

I'm sure many of us here had at least one of those board games. I had Pac Man. They were the kind of thing you oddball aunty would get you for christmas. "You like video games don't you Jimmy? Here you are, Happy Christmas". We've all been there with something like this.

Anyone with issues about this article needs to chill out...

And I like the letters section too. Thought it was a little shorter this month, which for me was a little bit of shame. Call me old fashioned, but despite having this forum, I still like to read through what people have taken the time to write in to the magazine about and further, what the guys at RG have to say on the matter, either positive or negative.

All in all, the magazine has a great formula, I don't think it's really broken, so therefore doesn't need much fixing. I say keep running items like the board games one. Also keep putting plenty of readers letters in, as they're an important aspect of the retro gaming community. I.e. keep up the good work.