Feedback Issue 93

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ncf1

Re: Feedback Issue 93

Post by ncf1 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:46 pm

Yay, finally get to rip into it. Loved the Rastan feature, one of my all-time favourite arcades, cried when i finally got the C64 version and it was dreadful, agree the Apple IIGS was best. Iain Lee column good as always and the experiences I have had with kids is that they dont mind the old games.. they get addicted just the same as new ones! The board game feature was nice, and I wish darran was my dad so i could play them all, and then steal all of his games and get adopted elsewhere. Letters page, oh dear, I actually loved how it was, thought it was just fine but oh well, what can you do.

So much more to peruse but as usual enjoying it muchly, and will soon tackle the article with Bushnell, holding my breath all the while whilst enduring his near-unbearable smugness but actually wishing quietly that I could have been the one to run Atari and have hottub parties.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:41 pm

Jet Pilot wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Future Classics is a great idea, the problem is that the games chosen are fcuking sh1t. I will gorge on my own innards if most of the games chosen so far are ever rated as "classics"
You'd better get a bib ready! :lol:
Indeed! I've thought most of the one's mentioned have been great games actually..but then I am one of those who would prefer to start seeing PS1 games and N64 stuff featured more, and is glad when they are featured! :)

Having said that, it will be 17 years since Battle Arena Toshinden was released on the PS1 this year!! :shock:
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

webding

Post by webding » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:49 am

deadpan666 wrote:Oh, apart from at least one use of "could of" instead of "could've".....that always riles me up, as could of makes no sense at all..... :wink:
If you're anal (wahey?) you can find mistakes galore in practically every issue. Some are more obvious than others, and some are more of a formal vs 'still correct, but you'd get Barrymored if you wrote it in an English exam' nature (e.g. different to/than), but they're there. I made a conscious effort to stop being anal a while ago though (insert (wahey again?) obvious joke here.)

As for the letters page, I'm surprised more forum members don't chuck their rambling thoughts in an email as well as, or instead of, a new thread. Let's face it, if you've made the effort to type it in, you clearly want people to read it, so why not go for the wider audience?

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:58 am

webding wrote:
deadpan666 wrote:Oh, apart from at least one use of "could of" instead of "could've".....that always riles me up, as could of makes no sense at all..... :wink:
If you're anal (wahey?) you can find mistakes galore in practically every issue.
Hehe..yeah, I was only being semi-serious.....I'm far from being a master of the English language! And imagine what an English teacher would say about my use of full stops and stuff !!!

But it does get me slightly miffed when I read things like could of instead of could've or addicting instead of addicted.....not too fussed as long as it doesn't become common practice! I do remember reading that kids aren't being corrected by teachers as much these days though, as they think the content is more important than the spelling...which I have to disagree with.

I meen doo wee reely want peepil to start torking in buks an magarzeens like dis? :mrgreen:
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:47 am

Its a shame the Rastan feature, in criticising the sound/multiload of the spectrum 48k version, neglects to mention that the 128k version is single load with great AY interpretations of the arcade music. Easily the best 8 bit computer version. 8)
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:01 pm

My copy seems to have a last page that is not as well glued as they have been since you got it sorted.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:56 pm

I loved the Board Games feature - fancy there being a Street Fighter 2 board game, or even a Defender board game!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:42 am

I finally got round to reading through it last night.

A very strong issue, plenty of good stuff in there. The Galaga feature is a nice companion piece to Stu Campbell's Definitive in issue 33(or whatever it was) - very enjoyable reading through it & it made me dig out the old Namco collection so that's always a good sign.

That along with very strong Computer Space, history of Atari & the Nodes of Yesod articles made for a classic issue.

The Rastan Coin-op feature was a nice surprise as I've never liked it & always thought it was style over substance, it was quite refreshing to hear that the programmed the c64 version felt the same way! :lol:

As for Quake, like Doom & Wolfenstein before it, far more enjoyable for me to read about than ever attempt to actually play.

Had a quick flick through issue 94 & there doesn't seem quite as much for me to get excited about in there though, I shouldn't be greedy though, eh.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue