Feedback Issue 93

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Havantgottaclue

Re: Issue 93

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 pm

I thought the board game feature was good fun - something a bit out of the ordinary. I think RG needs articles like this to provide balance to the more factually dense stuff.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:40 pm

Can we have other board games next month..

Pitfall!
Asteroids
Mario
Zelda
Q-Bert
Lode Runner
Ghosts n Goblins

:D

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:10 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:but what gives with the redesign of the letters page? Not much forum input this month?
Because forum members were saying it was a waste of space, so we cut it down.
I love the letterpages. Please consider expanding it again. :(
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:43 pm

ChipTune wrote:Can we have other board games next month..

Pitfall!
Asteroids
Mario
Zelda
Q-Bert
Lode Runner
Ghosts n Goblins

give me £250 and you can certainly have the Zelda board game featured.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Maybe a poll on the letters/forum pages would be handy? I don't actually read the letters - but skip them to read the 'from the forum' bit... and it's gone!

Great issue btw. Nodes of Yesod is still a suburb game.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:11 pm

i thought the letters/from the forum/pie graph vote mix was perfect as it was. havent seen the latest issue though but didnt think change was necessary.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:48 am

Well when we get more interesting letters we'll expand it. But you can't have a letters page without letters, so that's why we took the focus off the forum.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:03 am

marksmith34 wrote:BOARD GAMES!!!!!

What on earth were they thinking, more like bored games.

I saw the article and instantly felt the urge to phone and cancel my subscription. (But didn't)
Issue 94 of Retro Gamer.

Card games and the making of SNAP.

Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:16 am

I had mine come yesterday, haven't had a good read yet, but it looks cracking.

ChipTune

Re: Feedback Issue 93

Post by ChipTune » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:21 am

I do think that you guys got the letters page thing the wrong way round.. it was the actual letters people didnt like.. and the forum bit with graphs etc was popular..

Maybe it should have just been called 'From The Forum' or something and kept that but ditched the letters.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:31 am

Got my issue on Friday too, brought the copy to the Leeds mini-meet we had last night and everyone had a flick through including TMR (Jason Kelk) who hadn't got his own copy yet! :lol:
Not a bad issue at all, seen Darren's conservatory many times from his youtube vids - I take it the missus is a bit like Maris from Frasier (you never see her!), these types of feature are okay once in a while I think. It was interesting you got that guy to talk about how sh1t his c64 conversion of Rastan was! :lol:
Oh was Shock Troopers really unconverted? I was sure I'd played it on an AES before?

It was of course on SNK Arcade Classics 1 for the Wii (worth mentioning)

The From the Archives section still remains my favourite and the start of the Atari feature was very good indeed.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:47 am

sscott wrote:Got my issue on Friday too, brought the copy to the Leeds mini-meet we had last night and everyone had a flick through including TMR (Jason Kelk) who hadn't got his own copy yet! :lol:
Not a bad issue at all, seen Darren's conservatory many times from his youtube vids - I take it the missus is a bit like Maris from Frasier (you never see her!), these types of feature are okay once in a while I think. It was interesting you got that guy to talk about how sh1t his c64 conversion of Rastan was! :lol:
Oh was Shock Troopers really unconverted? I was sure I'd played it on an AES before?

It was of course on SNK Arcade Classics 1 for the Wii (worth mentioning)

The From the Archives section still remains my favourite and the start of the Atari feature was very good indeed.
Shock Troopers was MVS. It never actually came out on the home system. Unconverted deals with games that never came out at the time, so recent compilations have never counted :)

And yes the Rastan stuff was quite amusing.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:50 am

My issue arrived yesterday, but with spending all day picking my fantasy football team i didnt really look at it.

The cover is poor (again), but very brave. Quite a brave issue really with the interview with a film director and the board game stuff (which is very good), it seems winning mag of the year has perhaps given Darran and the team a bit more sway to take chances.

Overall it looks very good and I cant wait to read the Nodes of Yesod article.

Not sure what Duncan Jones is on about when he says TV Sports Football was a game that reflected "having fun with the Sport", I had this on the Amiga and although it looked ace it was awful to play. Perhaps if he'd have said Sensi or Kick Off then fair enough.......

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:34 pm

markopoloman wrote:Great issue btw. Nodes of Yesod is still a suburb game.
Surbiton? Kingston? Richmond? :wink:

Liking the issue, the board game piece is good and imo overdue in RG. Bring on the tabletops heh...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Stevearcade

Post by Stevearcade » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:04 pm

My teens were the 16 bit era, yet I know and love much of the Golden Era of Arcades too. Well researched through reading and MAME and have a JAMMA cab in my living room. So a SNES collectors guide and massive piece on Galaga!!! What more could you ask for. Well maybe a piece on Computer Space - the dawn of arcade video games and a large section on the founding of Atari... Seriously awesome guys, top work. I thought last month's was a watermark issue regards absorption and interesting reading. As mainly an arcade and 16 bit console man, this issue couldn't be more up my ally, unless maybe if you'd run your Street Fighter 2 item from a couple months back in this issue instead, but I'll let you off that one :wink: .

Kicked myself though. I used to have a boxed Super Bomber Man 3, which you mention as a rare game. Sold it many years ago when I was still a kid £10 :x . I think I needed to replace something on my BMX. Wish I'd never parted with it now.

I also have a Pac-Man board game, it's still in a cupboard at my parent's house :lol: . Decent board game though.

BTW, going by the photos in the board game item, Darren & Stuart, you look nothing like your avatars :lol: .