Issue 92 Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Issue 92 Feedback Thread

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:My copy arrived today too. First impressions at a glance...

* Ninja Gaiden article - majorly disappointed to see the brilliant Lynx version only gets a token mention whereas the NES version gets discussed at length :(
Um the article's intro does make it quite clear that it is a series that looks at games associated with a particular machine, hence why the Lynx only gets a small mention because only one game appeared on it (the first is obviously the arcade game).
Wrong. The Lynx also got Ninja Gaiden 3 and there is a proto of Ninja Gaiden 2. It also has easily the best version of the orginal game and its actually a conversion of the arcade game unlike the awful platform based NES game.

EDIT: I have just been informed that at least the article does mention the 2 games being released on Lynx
I mentioned both games and you still jump in and try and correct. Please just read before trying to show off with your Jag knowledge (as impressive as it is).

Also as much as I like the Ninja Gaiden arcade conversion, it's far too slow to be deemed the best version. It's darn close though.
EDIT: Looking at what I've written I can see how it might be construed that there's only one version on the system. So I'll forgive your typically vitrolic outburst.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:57 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I mentioned both games and you still jump in and try and correct. Please just read before trying to show off with your Jag knowledge (as impressive as it is).
Whats this got to do with the Jag? :?:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Also as much as I like the Ninja Gaiden arcade conversion, it's far too slow to be deemed the best version. It's darn close though.
I was watching your YouTube video of it the other day, it certainly plays a lot slower in emulation than on real hardware. The Lynx version is no slower than the original arcade game IMO.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:EDIT: Looking at what I've written I can see how it might be construed that there's only one version on the system. So I'll forgive your typically vitrolic outburst.
Despite the snide comment at the end, apology accepted.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Not snide mate. Just being honest.
And I should have said Atari knowledge and not Jag. That made no sense.
Oh and Ninja Gaiden on the Lynx is really slow, even on the actual machine.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:17 am

JackBurton-Me wrote:I'm away just now so won't get my subs issue until Monday. Can anyone post a pic of the cover?

Cheers.

There you go.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:36 am

Very good issue, with particular highlights MC's end of the 8bits feature, Steve Turner interview, Grim Fandango and Final Fight (SPECTRUM BEATS C64 AGAIN YEAH! :wink: )

I'll ignore the Amstrad propaganda though :wink:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:25 am

Nice issue, fair bit of Speccy stuff for myself. Love the 8 bit article.

Can someone unpin the issue 90 thread though and chuck this on top instead ?

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:34 am

Loved the Final Fight article, and it's good to see a nice chunk of 8bit in there. Looking forward to reading the CPC collectors piece as well, as I know f**k all about that machine. For some reason back in the day I decided to hate anything Amstrad.

Oh, and the cover is real nice.

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:50 pm

A great issue so far. Death of the 8bits is interesting. I liked the Amstrad article although the common and rare games wasn't that accurate. It would be hard to get that accurate tho. Would liked to have seen a few other games mentioned but there was a lot of choice.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:26 pm

i look forward to the 8 bit article.Speccy had some cracking ports in its twilight years.
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stevearcade

Post by Stevearcade » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:35 am

Well, I've read cover to cover and thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. Going to fire up U.N. Squadron later in MAME. Another gem to check out. Strongest issue of late. Also really enjoyed the Vector games article. Recently played on a Star Wars cockpit at the south coast slam in Worthing. All great stuff. Good work guys. :D

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Quite a good issue, enjoyed immensely the vector games, the Steve Turner stuff, Back to 80's/90's, Grim Fandango and the Amstrad CPC article.
Not so keen of Final Fight, but that sort of game doesn't appeal to me.

Personally I was a bit disappointed with the Death of the 8 bits article... it was a good article, just not what I thought it would be. For me there was too much history of the 8 bits - which seemed to take up a lot of the article - and then a bit at the end talking about their end days. I thought it was going to be about the games that were around in the 8-bits dying phase, but it wasn't. The most interesting bit was the box out at the bottom showing some of the games that were around... there wasn't in my opinion enough of this. It's always a good thing in my opinion to talk about 8-bits, but this wasn't an article from the new angle I was hoping.

Still thanks to all for another great read.

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:03 pm

K. so now I've read most of the mag and I loved it. Thoroughly enjoyed the End of the 8-Bits article, it made me glad that we live in a time where consoles don't contain boggling levels of numbers that require knowledge of calculus to remember!
Reading your magazines always spurs me to go out and play new stuff: Final Fight, The Firemen (now on VC :D ) U.N. Squadron, Ninja Gaiden... Hoo boy!
Enjoyed reading about the Amstrad though it didn't win me over.
Loved this issue and ball-grabbingly excited about the next one (SNES SNES SNES!!!), thank you once again :)
Chazz it up!!!

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:27 pm

How longer does it normally take for the iOS edition to hit the (virtual) shelf after the printed mag is out?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:14 pm

harlequ1n wrote:How longer does it normally take for the iOS edition to hit the (virtual) shelf after the printed mag is out?
It comes out the same day as the mag. So this Thursday.

rolan

Post by rolan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:11 am

Great issue, was sort of surprised that the death of the 8-bits micro article barely mentioned Nintendo or Sega who (at least in my school) had completely killed any interest in the commodore 64 et al by the early 90's... I never really thought that it was more the PC that killed them off in the end.

Overall a good issue liked the Grim Fandango article, final fight article was great, ninja gaiden awesome... I'm biased but loved the large amount of console coverage this month and can't wait for the Snes collector article next month good work!