Issue 92 Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rossi46

Re: Issue 92 Feedback Thread

Post by rossi46 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:31 pm

Got my subs' issue this morning. only looked at the cover so far, but it's very reminiscent of the cover for issue 19 for some reason. Took me right back to the glorious time when I learned that RG was to continue after all. Golden days.
Thoughts and prayers.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:It hasn't covered every month since the start of 1980, so it'll rewind and cover the missing bit(s).
Ah ok thanks for clearing that up, I thought it jumped some, anyone know why they did this?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:56 pm

Another fab issue and more proof that the 8 bit computer-centric issues are the best.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:16 pm

Plopped on my mat this morning. Another great issue, the news section was a little boring though...too much 3DS for my liking...but oh well! Loved the Grim Fandango article!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:18 pm

My copy arrived today too. First impressions at a glance...

* Wow, I think that's one of best RG covers I've ever seen :D
* retroradar - kinda makes sense to feature 3DS given its established itself as the king of rehashed IP already :mrgreen:
* End Of The 8-bits article looks really interesting :D
* History Of... Final Fight looks cool
* An Amstrad CPC article - oh well! :lol:
* Making of... Grim Fandango looks interesting
* Vector Games article is something that definitely appeals to me :D
* Ninja Gaiden article - majorly disappointed to see the brilliant Lynx version only gets a token mention whereas the NES version gets discussed at length :(
* Wow, the Steve Turner article is one I'll be reading with great interest :D
* Two whole pages devoted to the DNF review. :shock:
* Great to see Alleyway being slammed for the reasons highlighted on the forum :lol:
* A staggeringly generous review score for Resi' Mercenaries :roll:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:01 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:My copy arrived today too. First impressions at a glance...

* Ninja Gaiden article - majorly disappointed to see the brilliant Lynx version only gets a token mention whereas the NES version gets discussed at length :(
Um the article's intro does make it quite clear that it is a series that looks at games associated with a particular machine, hence why the Lynx only gets a small mention because only one game appeared on it (the first is obviously the arcade game).

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:09 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:

Um the article's intro does make it quite clear that it is a series that looks at games associated with a particular machine, hence why the Lynx only gets a small mention because only one game appeared on it (the first is obviously the arcade game).
My apologies. As I stated, the bulleted comments were only based on "First impressions at a glance" from having flicked through the pages.

Once again, I can't overstate just how brilliant I think the cover is. Great stuff! :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:23 pm

Definately agreed with the cover, i assume you've been keeping this iconic cover in the wings. Very clever to tie it in with the 'death of 8-bits' feature.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

skinny

Post by skinny » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:29 pm

Game Gear Shinobi article brings back good memories of a game I really enjoyed and played to the end - no walkthroughs, no cheats.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:13 pm

Mine came this morning liked the cover.. Only read the Ninja Gaiden and Final Fight article so far which are very good indeed!!!! Glad they brought the whole 'Roxy and Poison' thing up.. I disagree with the ending comments about Final Fight "It's a linear Coin Muncher" one of my fav games regulary been playing it since 1990 and can finish it on 1 credit.. And Eddie E's the easiest boss in the game, just walk forward till his energy bar appears than let him come to you.. Even without the infinite punch he's easy..

Other than that ever article interests me
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:46 am

AmigaJay wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:It hasn't covered every month since the start of 1980, so it'll rewind and cover the missing bit(s).
Ah ok thanks for clearing that up, I thought it jumped some, anyone know why they did this?
Why they did it? Because they didn't start at 1980, they jumped into the middle when the UK games industry was on a high, with lots of interesting Spectrum games (amongst others). I don't suppose at that point they were planning over 100 issues ahead for the article.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:30 am

Got my copy yesterday which was a bonus as I don't normally get it on the Saturday.

Looks really good at first glance and I found the Death of the 8-Bits article extremely interesting! That was definitely the article I was always going to read first even though I pretty much missed that era, being too young for it.
Lemon Amiga is now on YouTube and Facebook!

merman

Post by merman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:47 am

Read this through yesterday and loved it. The standout piece for me is Mike Bevan's Bluffer's Guide to Vector Games - brilliantly written with lots of interesting little insights into the games. And Martyn's piece on the 8-bits was worth waiting for. Really enjoyed the Steve Turner interview too.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

JackBurton-Me

Post by JackBurton-Me » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:41 am

I'm away just now so won't get my subs issue until Monday. Can anyone post a pic of the cover?

Cheers.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:12 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:

Wrong. The Lynx also got Ninja Gaiden 3 and there is a proto of Ninja Gaiden 2. It also has easily the best version of the orginal game and its actually a conversion of the arcade game unlike the awful platform based NES game.

EDIT: I have just been informed that at least the article does mention the 2 games being released on Lynx