Issue 92 Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ncf1

Re: Issue 92 Feedback Thread

Post by ncf1 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:38 pm

Just got my copy yesterday and i flicked through it, read a couple of articles already and I am unequivocally milking up; quality edition.

romanista

Post by romanista » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:32 am

wow! that ! cover!
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:40 am

It's now available through the app - downloading mine now :)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:53 pm

just read the Chariot Race article.. loved the angle of that, would love to see more of those type.

walrus

Post by walrus » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:24 am

I really enjoyed the Chariot race article too. The memories of the family helped capture the time so well but were wider than the usual article based around the programmer themselves. It was a shame that it was such sad circumstances which led to it being done this way but it did make for a wonderful read.

Spacegamer

Post by Spacegamer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:19 am

Not a great issue but better than the previous two.
Enjoyed the end of the 8 bits feature and hope we will see a follow up covering the 16bit ere
Good to see some 90s PC games getting some more coverage in the magazine.
Interesting seeing the import games for the Amstrad, must be quite a few non English games from Europe, bit of a shame the magazine never covers any of this.

I see Future Classics is now a year old, by my count that 8 Nintendo game 3 Playstation and 1 Xbox game.
I take it the xbox game was a mistake and who ever was responsible for doing it has now been fired. :P
As you don’t have seem to have any interest in covering any other format apart from Nintendo with the odd Sony game throw in. I would suggest you change the name from Future Classic to Fan-boy Games. :lol:
Ship computer calling bomb#20 you're out of the bomb bay again.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:42 am

Spacegamer wrote:
As you don’t have seem to have any interest in covering any other format apart from Nintendo with the odd Sony game throw in. I would suggest you change the name from Future Classic to Fan-boy Games. :lol:
How droll.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:52 pm

I actually whipped it out and gave it a shot (Final Fight that is) after reading the article, and played a few versions of it. I was surprised, the Amstrad version is actually quite good, if it were just a little quicker it would have been brilliant, but for 8-bit damn it wasn't too badly done. Better than the rotten C64 counterpart at least, which made children scream here when they saw it.

Blumf

Post by Blumf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:20 pm

Finally got round to reading this issue and I thought it was abso-bloody-lutely great, even enjoyed the Amstrad collectors piece. ;)

Steve Turner and the End of the 8 Bits were, for me, the stand out features. A slice of 8 bit gold.
Sometimes you need to say what needs saying, most times you just need to shut up and listen.

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:01 am

Yep, I thought this was a great issue. Loved the cover and everything that came after.
Well done to the chaps.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:05 pm

Really enjoyed reading the History of Final Fight article. :D

Doing so motivated me to play the game again so I played through Final Fight One (GBA, but using my DS Lite as I prefer the better quality screen), Final Fight CD (Mega-CD) and the superb iOS conversion. I also noticed Final Fight: Double Impact for sale as a Special Offer promo on PSN so I bought that and have been delighted with it - especially the simulated CRT arcade monitor with curved screen look!

Talking of the iOS conversion of Final Fight, it surprised me to see the article omitted to mention it. A small oversight in an otherwise brilliant article. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:32 pm

Got my issue today, so approximately two weeks later. Nice Frey cover to be sure and first one in a while as I recall.
So far so good, looking forward to reading it more in-depth later on but just wanted to point out some amendments.
UN Squadron Ultimate Guide:
Instant Expert point 3 - Carrier Air Wing is the international name whereas US Navy is the Japanese release.
Also, Area 88, the Japanese release of UN Squadron in arcades, sees an additional bonus level not found in the international release. It appears after stage 3 and sees the player defusing/destroying bombs off a commercial passenger jet. The level is short and generally not too challenging, it's a bona fide break, score boost stage.

Looking forward to the id/Quake article in the next issue, should be a real blast.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

yukon yohan

Post by yukon yohan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:41 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
yukon yohan wrote:Has The Unconverted finished now then? :(
No. We had to juggle around the flatplan. Rest assured it's back next month.
YAY!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:30 am

What about that Machine Obscura thing? That was missing too - Adventurevision perhaps? Or SuperVision?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:55 pm

ncf1 wrote:I actually whipped it out and gave it a shot (Final Fight that is) after reading the article, and played a few versions of it. I was surprised, the Amstrad version is actually quite good, if it were just a little quicker it would have been brilliant, but for 8-bit damn it wasn't too badly done. Better than the rotten C64 counterpart at least, which made children scream here when they saw it.
Speccy port was good

*if you sped up the cpu in the emu of course!.