RG Issue #20 INVISIBLE CONTENT!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

avdl1999

GP2X Review

Post by avdl1999 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:31 am

Hi Darran

Are we any closer to having a detailed and impartial review of this very interesting product? Have you managed to get your mitts on one? Come on don't be bashful! lol

Best wishes

Shaun Neatly

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:43 am

It's definately in issue 22

avdl1999

Post by avdl1999 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:16 am

Thanks very much. Looking forward to reading that!

Cheers

Shaun

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:38 am

So cant afford Retro Gamer but can afford a 125 quid GPX2 ! ;)

At this moment in time i would get an older GP32 as many MAME games work on that and the GP2X still is quite unstable and theres not tons of stuff out for it - yet.

In a few months i think the GP2X will be excellent but still early days for it yet

avdl1999

Post by avdl1999 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:49 pm

Well what can i say, it must be my scottish blood! lol

No, seriously. I may put it on my birthday wish list.

I've thought about the GP32 for exactly the reasons you mention but i'm a big boys toys freak! lol

Cheers for the input

Regards

Shaun

lubidog

Come and read about it at...

Post by lubidog » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:09 pm

at http://www.gp32x.com

Seriously, good to see you posting again, psj. I remember you helped me with mame on the gp32, but you really can't have a gp2x because mame on this thing is so good! I have a complete .34 (with stuff from .35 too!!! (Am not really sure what I am talking about here...)) and it is wonderful! Mame on the gp2x is a lot lot better, and worth the asking price alone.

But before you write any review in the mag, please read through some of our threads over at the above web forum. We have had a lot of new members, and a lot of people have been understandbly disappointed. The machine has had teething troubles. Build quality and firmware mainly. And using a handheld as an emulator is never as easy as using a psp. But these problems are all being sorted out, and our UK distributor is (gbax.com-Craig) has been fantastic.

What we have at the moment is what we had on the GP32 only better, and it is a new machine. DRMDx is vastly better than the GP32 version, playing practically every Megadrive/Genesis game, (how much can I thank RG for telling me about Gley Lancer!!!! Brilliant). Squidges' Snes emu is great, not perfect yet but getting there very quickly. All the others (PC engine, scumm, frodo, Gameboy colour etc) are probably better than they were on the old machine. And F-Day is still gonna happen on the GP2x. Basically, this is a collection of I think 13 Emus written by a spanish Emu Genius. He will release themmall at the same time. Ryleah (???) writes Emus that not only play the games perfectly, but are so easy and pleasent to use, with great front ends and all sorts of user friendly features. This will be the killer app for the GP2x.

But in the meantime, Franxis is still working on his Mame emu. He is looking at modern mame sets. We haven't been able to use the second processor much yet, and when this is possible, then wow. Oh yes, NeoGeo emu runs excellent (metal Slug, anyone?), and ZZottd is porting his Playstation emu to the beast! And it is working. People are actually playing Final Fantasy vii! At the moment, it is slow. But this machine is only a few months old. It has achieved more in this time than the GP32 ever did!!!

(Er, homebrew too! About to have a new set of competition entries to play through. And some of the homebrew is really excellent. The remake of Paradroid being a favourite of mine...)
If you read through the forums, know what you are getting into then the GP2x is a joy. Yep, it isn't perfect, but it is getting there and has given me SO much fun already. Having eleven hundred classic working arcade cabs in your pocket, all playable, most perfect, with high score saving support, plus hundreds of homebrew, megadrive, snes, pocket pc, spectrum, neogeo, gameboy etc games sure outweighs the faults. And like I said, those faults are being rapidly addressed.

Of course, if you like to program, then this machine is even better...

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:52 pm

I do think that Craig should add something to his site about it requiring a card reader - It was only when the GP2X arrived that I realised that the SD required formatting (unlike the GP32). If you order a SD from Craig's site, it apparently comes already formatted, but obviously a lot of people will choose to get a much cheaper (and bigger!)SD from another company.