Official Feedback Issue 91

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Dunjohn

Re: Official Feedback Issue 91

Post by Dunjohn » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:58 pm

I noticed that too, I've always seen the core cast as being Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Robotnik and I had assumed that was the consensus.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:12 pm

Igorthegreen wrote:Besides... Am I the only one who heard Darran say in the Youtube film about RG 91: "I really like that controller because it has the shape of a penis!"

Well well... :D
Really? I thought the mushroom lamp on p. 12 looked more like a penis.

Worried now.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:46 pm

look at it sideways wrote:unlike Big The Cat
Hey, don't diss Big the Cat. He remains calm and collected in EVERY situation. Huge monster destroying the city? Big just waves it off in search of more pressing concerns: finding Froggy. The Sonic series needs characters like Big.

Cream can die in a fire, though.

Also, the best comment I've seen regarding the cast of the Sonic universe is "Every character you ever need is on the Sonic Gems Collection box cover."

I'd say it's pretty much spot on.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:46 pm

Loved the Sonic piece to death as he was and always will be my first gaming "icon" from when I was a wee one, haven't read the rest of the magazine yet but will see how we go.

And woo for being mentioned on the cheats that you remember thread :D

PSN username - MartinPhantom

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:02 am

Love the cover - pity C&VG had a sonic 20 type cover, but not surprising I guess.

Loved Spectrum Games that Time Forget - room for more of those I reckon - really good read.

Overall, a good issue . . but, i'm worried about one thing, who on Earth voted to see Darran dressed as a woman? You are very sick people and need some professional and expensive help.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

thl

Post by thl » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:25 pm

Really liked the cover for this issue and I can't believe it's been twenty years since I first witnessed this iconic Sega mascot. Good call on the Smash TV feature as I use to play this game for ages but never got around completing it. Although I pick it up again for the Mega Drive, the SNES conversion has to be one of my favourite.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 am

Crunchy wrote:You have tunnel vision.
HA!

*irony detector overheats*

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:36 am

This is my 1st issue after a half a year subscription break and all I can say is I'm glad to be back. Reading it on my iPad is better than I imagined it to be and I'm even considering getting the previous issues I missed, however 4€ a piece is a bit steep in my humble opinion.

bsg

Post by bsg » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:17 pm

Enjoyed the Sonic 'lovefest' despite not being a hardcore fan (the original game chills me to the bone with thoughts of having to replay it once I get to hell). The cover was fantastic - and I am so glad my copy doesn't move from my games room :)

I am firmly on the side that has a 'partial' resentment to IOS, IPAD, 3DS, 360, ps3 reviews of games that sometimes at most, have a tenable link to _RETROGAMING_ but as stated earlier, for RG to be a viable magazine for the publishing house... it needs to sell... and it needs new blood to do that - christ sake, i've got a nephew who thinks that COD4 is 'retro'gaming because he is a spoilt censored with a one way view of gaming... and In Darrans position, it can always come across as 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'...

LOVED the speccy content this issue, I could have sworn to have played Last Ninja on Spec, but was probably under the influence :D I would mark out to see a similar account done for the A8 system... and I don't mean like last months mention of Action Biker that gave a one word missive to there being a version of the game for the A8, then awarded the _C64_ version as the winner (A8 was first, and technically superior to the c64 version)
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:43 pm

bsg wrote:and I don't mean like last months mention of Action Biker that gave a one word missive to there being a version of the game for the A8, then awarded the _C64_ version as the winner (A8 was first, and technically superior to the c64 version)
Atarimania lists the A8 version as released in 1986 whilst Gamebase reckons 1985 for the C64 so i'm not sure it was first and, speaking as a programmer, i'd question the technical superiority an' all. =-)

bsg

Post by bsg » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:38 am

TMR wrote:
bsg wrote:and I don't mean like last months mention of Action Biker that gave a one word missive to there being a version of the game for the A8, then awarded the _C64_ version as the winner (A8 was first, and technically superior to the c64 version)
Atarimania lists the A8 version as released in 1986 whilst Gamebase reckons 1985 for the C64 so i'm not sure it was first and, speaking as a programmer, i'd question the technical superiority an' all. =-)
Did you ever write for the A8? I've had (and still do) all of the 8 bit systems and the top two (for me) are the 64 and the A8... and the A8 always wins...
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:58 am

bsg wrote:Did you ever write for the A8?
i've released two demos and one game so far but have several incomplete projects in my work files, some of which i posted videos of to my blog recently.
bsg wrote:I've had (and still do) all of the 8 bit systems
i've got a reasonable collection, i've been concentrating on the first steps towards getting my machines ready for the Oldschool Gaming stand at Replay 2011 over the last couple of weeks so there's a C64 and 800XL sat on the front room floor to test various composite video cables, a 48K rubberkeyed Spectrum that a friend modified for me for composite video, parts of a stripped down C64DTV2 that are also going to be modified when i find some cash for the parts and i'm considering taking either the A600HD which boots from CF or perhaps my A1200 '030 (after it's modified for CF) if someone comes up with a new game to show off at the event. =-)
bsg wrote:and the top two (for me) are the 64 and the A8... and the A8 always wins...
Unfortunately that still doesn't make the A8 version of Action Biker technically superior i'm afraid and the C64 version is having to sing far louder for it's supper technically whilst the A8 version is just humming to itself. =-)

A more technical explanation is that the A8 is just using simple LMS-based scrolling with a slightly quirky memory layout whilst the C64 is having to brute force shift over 1,400 bytes of data per frame but gets more colour in the play area for that effort and finer horizontal scrolling due to it's hardware.

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:36 am

Good issue this.

So far really enjoyed the Sonic bit (sadly, no mention of J Pop legends, Dreams Come True :() and the making of Untouchables (even though I was terrible at it).

merman

Post by merman » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:41 am

Well, I really enjoyed this issue. I didn't enjoy reading it in my hospital bed, but there you go...

I particularly want to point out the Making Ofs for being very interesting, John's brilliant Import Only feature and the Michel Ancel interview - well done. Really enjoyed Martyn's Spectrum Games That Time Forgot as well as the Treasure profile. A great issue all round, with the Sonic feature and the shiny cover being very eye-catching.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

webding

Post by webding » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:20 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:
Igorthegreen wrote:Besides... Am I the only one who heard Darran say in the Youtube film about RG 91: "I really like that controller because it has the shape of a penis!"

Well well... :D
Really? I thought the mushroom lamp on p. 12 looked more like a penis.

Worried now.
Assuming you're a bloke, you really need to see a doctor.