Official Feedback Issue 91

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Opa-Opa

Re: Official Feedback Issue 91

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:23 am

Collectors guide to the amsturd should be one sentance, "Dont bother, it's crap and every game on it is a poor version of a specrum game"

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:26 am

the_hawk wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:the piece on the Amstrad
Is that the scene from Coming to America where the king arrives at Eddie Murphy's apartment? :mrgreen:

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:30 am

Opa-Opa wrote:Collectors guide to the amsturd should be one sentance, "Dont bother, it's crap and every game on it is a poor version of a specrum game"
Be rather blinkered viewpoint to take though Opa. Whilst Amstrad had more than it's fair share of ports, to adopt such a view would be doing the system an injustice.

Amstrad deserves as much of a feature as Speccy, C64, A8 Bit range etc.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:Collectors guide to the amsturd should be one sentance, "Dont bother, it's crap and every game on it is a poor version of a specrum game"
Your wrong you know. Its just the hate that has taken posession of your heart that is talking.

Stevearcade

Post by Stevearcade » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:22 pm

Loving it. The last issue was interesting, but I've never been into Zelda. Sonic on the other hand... :D

But there's a lot of interesting articles throughout, not just the sonic stuff. Haven't even gotten all the way through it yet but the general 'interesting' factor in every article is really high, more so than the last issue I found.

Not feeling all the anger towards next months issue. Final Fight! Come on guys, what a great game. I played this loads as a kid... in fact I still spend ages playing this now. I have a feeling next month and a couple months back (the street fighter 2 issue) are going to be kindred spirits on my book case :wink:

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:13 pm

Congratulations to Retro Gamer on outlasting Zzap!64.

I haven't even bought #91 and I'm already looking forward to #92! Out of curiousity, will Martyn Carroll's long-delayed Last Days of the 8-bit article appear in the next issue?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:23 am

Yes and a cracking a interesting read it is as well.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:51 am

:D Big THANK YOU to Natalie (She's sorting out a replacement copy of issue #91, after mine had 3 torn pages). RG customer services? Best in the world.

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:05 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mayhem wrote:So... going to get Frank to do a similar GTW article on the C64? ;)
On the condition that A) he'd want to write it and B) that anyone would be interested in reading it. We're talking about the C64 after all.
Darran, did the C64-issue sell so bad then??
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:44 pm

No, but everyone knows that the C64 is rubbish.

Let's just say though that we don't put things like the C64 on the cover to get extra sales... We do it because we can.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:38 pm

Stevearcade wrote:Loving it. The last issue was interesting, but I've never been into Zelda. Sonic on the other hand... :D

But there's a lot of interesting articles throughout, not just the sonic stuff. Haven't even gotten all the way through it yet but the general 'interesting' factor in every article is really high, more so than the last issue I found.

Not feeling all the anger towards next months issue. Final Fight! Come on guys, what a great game. I played this loads as a kid... in fact I still spend ages playing this now. I have a feeling next month and a couple months back (the street fighter 2 issue) are going to be kindred spirits on my book case :wink:

I agree Final Fight is one of the greatest scrolling beat em up ever IMO.. Play this every week on my friends Candy Cab, can still 1cc it just about
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:18 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:No, but everyone knows that the C64 is rubbish.

Let's just say though that we don't put things like the C64 on the cover to get extra sales... We do it because we can.

I am getting quite close to initiating the bomb I planted in that C64c you borrowed for the mag. One more C64 insult from you Mr Jones - and the lamp post gets it! :lol:

(Must collect those C64's at some point!)
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:03 am

I've come to the conclusion that all these years sonic has actually been collecting Chav Earrings rather than gold rings.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:04 am

Oh dear.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:42 pm

Have now read most of the magazine and can honestly say it has really been one of mixed feelings...
Loved the Spectrum game article, the Untouchables one, Fairlight, the 3DO sequel one, and the Smash TV article...
Not really interested in the Treasure stuff, but that's my choice and problem, quite a good article though but never been a Treasure fan. North and South I've never heard of and it doesn't look like a game I'd be interested in... again my problem.

As to the Sonic article, it started well, but faded by the end. Too much emphasis on modern Sonic in my opinion... all Sonic since the Dreamcast has been pretty poor and at best a pale imitation of his Mega Drive roots. 8 pages was a bit excessive, particularly as there wasn't much variety in the article... would have liked to have seen more on cancelled Sonic projects of the past.

Unconverted was a bit dull this month, but Minority Report has fast become one of the best features of the magazine. Quite enjoyed Iain Lee's look at cassette tapes this month, and actually felt this could have been a longer article... the other columist chap, well he's still a bit meh in my opinion.

I'd put the magazine on a par with last months, mainly because only about half of it reflect my style of gaming. Still a great read though, so thank you to all concerned.
Will now look forward to next months...