Official feedback for Retro Gamer 31

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Re: Broken Sword

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:11 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've not seen a single article from the live publishing days that wasn't overbloated due to having far too many pages dedicated to it.
From a writer's standpoint, I also often find that I end up with a better article when I edit it down to the essentials. For the making-ofs I've written for the mag so far, I've always felt fine with the allocation.

As for the Christmas issue, Lentini2001, I think that's already been covered plenty of times. If you're hoping for a 200-page doorstep, you're going to be out of luck.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:01 am

If you're hoping for a 200 page retro doorstop, pick up the Games(tm) Retro Anthology or the rather spiffy "Edge Presents File".

The money I've saved on my first 6 months subscription damned near paid for both.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

romanista

Post by romanista » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:03 am

Okay, at thursday evenings this issue reached the shores of the United Provinces, compliments that fast delivery is back in!

issue is fine, but not to the standards of the great issue 30

Retroscene
- Tank wars should be revered as a classic? man, if you were an amiga pd reviewer in 95 you got 2 of those tank games every week, TanKKK, Kombat, Tank'n'stuff, Firepower (the inspiration for the best 3DO game, Return Fire).. if you want to name a classic 2 player combat amiga game , Gravity Power is the only that applies

- Rick Bloody Dangerous 2, come on, my first name is Rick, but even i know it is overated crap, see here for Stu's view

Joust, excellent, such a true video game, needs a good story

- You ad makers have struck gold with such a nintendo deal, incredible, hope there are no strings attached

- super mario kart deserves a full article

- retro inspection,
although mat's article is excellent, the N64 has such an established canonm of good games, you won't really get a surpirse or new discovery there, i would rather read retro inspections on the Vectrex of PC Engine (or even the CDi, where john hints at)
- mean machines, good, but we need an amiga power article!
- duck hunt, makes me mention the flash game
- pilot wings 64, in con trary with what i just said, i never played that one and immediately ordered it after this articler
- sierra games never really did it for me, liked other adventures better

- hanafuda
great, gives insight in the start of nintendo, and well timed with the release of 42ATC
- river city ransom, for me doesn't really add much to the techmo article a few months back
- dale desharone, what's the problem that they think you're dutch? anyway insightful
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:28 am

romanista wrote:Okay, at thursday evenings this issue reached the shores of the United Provinces, compliments that fast delivery is back in!

issue is fine, but not to the standards of the great issue 30

Retroscene
- Tank wars should be revered as a classic? man, if you were an amiga pd reviewer in 95 you got 2 of those tank games every week, TanKKK, Kombat, Tank'n'stuff, Firepower (the inspiration for the best 3DO game, Return Fire).. if you want to name a classic 2 player combat amiga game , Gravity Power is the only that applies

- Rick Bloody Dangerous 2, come on, my first name is Rick, but even i know it is overated crap, see here for Stu's view

Joust, excellent, such a true video game, needs a good story

- You ad makers have struck gold with such a nintendo deal, incredible, hope there are no strings attached

- super mario kart deserves a full article

- retro inspection,
although mat's article is excellent, the N64 has such an established canonm of good games, you won't really get a surpirse or new discovery there, i would rather read retro inspections on the Vectrex of PC Engine (or even the CDi, where john hints at)
- mean machines, good, but we need an amiga power article!
- duck hunt, makes me mention the flash game
- pilot wings 64, in con trary with what i just said, i never played that one and immediately ordered it after this articler
- sierra games never really did it for me, liked other adventures better

- hanafuda
great, gives insight in the start of nintendo, and well timed with the release of 42ATC
- river city ransom, for me doesn't really add much to the techmo article a few months back
- dale desharone, what's the problem that they think you're dutch? anyway insightful
Issue 31 is actually great.
It's just that judging by your comments, there's not as much stuff in this issue that you like in it, so it's obviously not as good ;)

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:45 am

romanista wrote:Rick Bloody Dangerous 2, come on, my first name is Rick, but even i know it is overated crap, see here for Stu's view
Heh—I was wondering when someone might mention that review. Frankly, I've never understood the appeal of that game—it's rather like having to remember and recite the telephone directory, but having someone smack you over the head when you get something wrong (and, even worse, you don't actually get to see the words first-time round). Frustrating and seriously flawed.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:48 am

romanista wrote:... if you want to name a classic 2 player combat amiga game , Gravity Power is the only that applies
Yes, yes and thrice YES.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

sandinista

Post by sandinista » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:41 pm

Another good issue . Especially pleased to see the High Score article make a come back , and the review of the Meet at Kenilworth .

sandinista

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:01 pm

I've just started to read this month's issue and I've got as far as Back To The Eighties and feel I can go no further, the reason for this is the bit of text about the 2000ad character Rogue Trooper, his budies in the comics where called Gunner, Helm and Bagman not as stated in the text Gunner, Helm and the ridiculous sounding Bagger, I'd appreciate it if all of this month's issues where recalled and reissued with the offending text corrected, I can then carry on and read the rest of what is no doubt another splendid issue. Thank you.
Splink!

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:34 pm

felgekarp wrote:his budies in the comics where called Gunner, Helm and Bagman
His buddies were in fact called Gunnar, Helm and Bagman.

I don't know what else you said up there as I couldn't carry on reading past such an obvious error :roll: ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

felgekarp

Re:

Post by felgekarp » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:42 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
felgekarp wrote:his budies in the comics where called Gunner, Helm and Bagman
His buddies were in fact called Gunnar, Helm and Bagman.

I don't know what else you said up there as I couldn't carry on reading past such an obvious error :roll: ;)
Must you be so pedantic. :wink:
Splink!

Jedit

Re:

Post by Jedit » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:02 pm

felgekarp wrote:Must you be so pedantic. :wink:
Why not? You haven't even spelt your user name right - the BSG:TOS swear word is "felgercarb". :twisted:

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:53 pm

On the plus side, at least they didn't call that 2000 AD character 'Rouge Trooper', something that appears far too often in print.

felgekarp

Re:

Post by felgekarp » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:56 am

Jedit wrote:
felgekarp wrote:Must you be so pedantic. :wink:
Why not? You haven't even spelt your user name right - the BSG:TOS swear word is "felgercarb". :twisted:
It's my user name, I'll spell it how I want. :x
Splink!

Kai

Re:

Post by Kai » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:46 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
romanista wrote:Rick Bloody Dangerous 2, come on, my first name is Rick, but even i know it is overated crap, see here for Stu's view
Heh—I was wondering when someone might mention that review. Frankly, I've never understood the appeal of that game—it's rather like having to remember and recite the telephone directory, but having someone smack you over the head when you get something wrong (and, even worse, you don't actually get to see the words first-time round). Frustrating and seriously flawed.
:shock: Rick Dangerous 2 is great! I like it a lot! Best trial-and-error-game there is :wink:

Szczepaniak

Re:

Post by Szczepaniak » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:49 am

romanista wrote:- pilot wings 64, in con trary with what i just said, i never played that one and immediately ordered it after this articler
Glad to hear you've ordered the original thing, since I've never found a PC usb pad which can emulate the N64 joystick properly. To really get a hang of the controls, which are wonderful, you need the original hardware. Enjoy! :D