Official feedback for Retro Gamer 31

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:19 pm

Dudley wrote:There's a bigger pic in the locked thread too, I scanned it a hell of a lot bigger.
I know you did. I reduced the image on purpose, to lower the thread's weight.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:53 pm

Wow that is a lovely looking cover. Can't wait to get it.

Lentini2001

Post by Lentini2001 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:59 pm

Best issue yet, and I'm not even a Nintendo fan.

thl

Post by thl » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:19 pm

It's great to have those Nintendo mascots on the front cover.

drws

Post by drws » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:33 pm

Excellent cover, Great Mean Machines article (also reminded me to look at the brilliant website Mean Machines Archive again)
So much Nintendo stuff its tricky to know where to start. :D
I'm now thinking I need to pull my finger out and pre-order a Wii, and dust off my Nes Mario 3 in the meantime. :)
For me, one of the best mags so far...

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:25 am

Not out in the shops yet (as of Sun 5 Nov) but looking forward to buying it. The 'Wizball' article will be my first read. I had this on ye olde Amstrad and it was great fun. Quirky, original and with that undefinable 'X' factor that made you want 'just one more go...'.
The idea of the level objective being to fill the world with colour... how trippy was that! The very beginning of the game when you had to bounce around did irritate me a little. It was only after finding the power up that gave you complete freedom of movement that it became FUN!

A great game and now I will have to power up WinVice to give it a blast :D
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:49 am

Here's the highlights from Revgiblet. There will be questions, so pay attention John and Darran.

Cover - Indeed, as everybody has already said - it's excellent.

The Mean Team - I've never read Mean Machines but this article was very interesting. I would like you to continue articles on publications from the retro period. Any chance of a Zero article?

The Adventure Begins - Again, excellent. Adventure was a massively influential game, but doesn't get much attention because 'it's got no graphics'.

The Making of Broken Sword - A very good article, but one question. How can you talk about 'Broken Sword' and not at least make mention of the 'goat' puzzle? It was so at odds with the rest of the game that it's become iconic. I remember walking into my local indie shop and saying to the owner "I'm playing this great game. Broken Sword. But I'm stuck." and he said instantly "Is it the goat puzzle?" I was shocked that he'd guessed exactly where I was stuck. He told me how to solve it and then I went home that evening and did just that.

Hanafuda - An unexpected article, but a very nice way to fill a couple of pages.

River City Ransom - http://www.mega64.com/rcr.htm The US cover art is better than the UK art? Really?

Dale Desharone - Never heard of him until the CDi Zelda articles, despite having played Below the Root. Very interesting read.

Reviews - I wanted the Sega Mega Drive Collection before, but now I have to have it.

A couple of generic questions...

i) Lotsa JS articles. John's worked really hard for this issue - so hard that his mind has clearly snapped. Ducklings in a trash bag? Why the obsession?

ii) Good to have an IF / Graphic Adventure theme this month. Was it intentional? I like the idea of 'themed' issues. However, please please please please please please mention the 12th Annual Interactive Fiction Comp. It's the adventure game equivalent of the Retro Remake competition so please can it get a mention (except most of the entries are new creations rather than remakes). By the time issue 32 comes out the winners should be known - http://www.ifcomp.org/ - so just a mention in the news section would be enough, but I'm sure you could get a great article out of the whole concept. The text adventure is alive and well - and some of the entries this year are graphic adventures.

It's surprisingly well-known for a volunteer-run, donated-prize, Internet-powered competition. Utilities like ADRIFT and Inform make it incredibly easy to enter and it should get a mention in Retro Gamer - most definitely.

And I entered a game this year.

Anyway, pleading over. Another fine issue. Well done gentlemen.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

GetDexter

Re:

Post by GetDexter » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:29 am

revgiblet wrote:...

The Making of Broken Sword - A very good article, but one question. How can you talk about 'Broken Sword' and not at least make mention of the 'goat' puzzle?

Yes, come on, spill the beans. How do you get past the goat? Played it on PC about 5 years ago and could not get past the goat!!
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

Quamen

Post by Quamen » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:15 pm

Where can I buy the mag from :?:

Utini

Re:

Post by Utini » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:32 pm

Quamen wrote:Where can I buy the mag from :?:
WHSmiths usually stock it.
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:44 pm

But it's not out till Thursday.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:49 pm

Quamen wrote:Where can I buy the mag from :?:
You can subscribe on the website. It works out a fraction of the cost of the cover price (around half).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:06 pm

Hello Quamen - welcome to the RG forum (also)!!

Quamen has been a busy boy and joined RF and RP :D Hope you stick around all of the forums mate.

:wink:

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:36 pm

God that cover is good! Wil Overton, I assume?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:21 pm

It is yes.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com