Hot Topic - Best 8-bit memories

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sirclive1

Re: Hot Topic - Best 8-bit memories

Post by sirclive1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:11 pm

So many 8 bit memories , but the anticipation of Crash magazine every month will never be replicated again , bit sad about that really.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:24 pm

Reading a review of a game in Amstrad Action that wasn't a speccy port.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:40 pm

The first time I played Barbarian, it was the most fantastic moment any 7 year old could have had! It was on a C90, so I didn't know about the cover art then....that may have been more fantastic.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Waiting for the game to load and hoping it would be as good as the mag review/instruction manual/box art/loading screen promised it was going to be.

It usually wasn't.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:02 pm

Summer Holidays in the mid eighties, waggling my joystick all day long!
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:47 am

The arrival of the new ZZap every month.

Always been amazed at the toonage of the 64 in particular hearing Crazy Comets for the first time!!

Not knowing it at the time, but looking back and seeing that the 8 bit era was buzzing with creativity and flair, something which has been sadly lacking over the years, however with GOG and Steam promoting independent games (or homebrew as they are now known) perhaps we could re-capture a little of the magic?

Who knows...

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:01 am

The freshness of it all. For the first few years on buying my Speccy+, relishing the prospect of each new gaming purchase; and now basking in contentment at owning and still enjoying classic games and gaming experiences. Such feelings for me no longer exist for the modern world of gaming - it isn't fresh and there is no wonderment. I can still remember the feelings of loading up Monty On The Run (my first purchase and the first game I loaded Christmas '85): giddy; and total surprise when I entered just the second screen and got immediately 'stomped'. Buying CRASH! magazine. And becoming smitten with Quazatron, a feeling that still remains - it is, for me, the greatest Spectrum game of all, a brilliant twist on the classic 64's Paradroid.

Bring back the good ol' days! :D

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:41 am

My favourite 8-bit memory was everything about Your Sinclair. I've still got the last ever issue, and it still brings a tear to my eye that it has been defaced by having the form for Silica Systems cut out, from which my Amiga was purchased. That and the "Our Work Here Is Done" on the back cover.
ImageImage

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:29 am

Seeing a Spectrum for the first time and the different games my friend was loading up one after another. Then realising I could simply copy the tape and those games are mine !

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:10 am

Spending whole weekends running through Gauntlet II on the Spectrum with either my brother, mum or dad - still got every single one of those sound effects burned into my head.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:47 am

The Legend of Zelda probably had the best 8-bit memory (har har).
It's called a MEGADRIVE

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:54 am

Winding up the entire English Department at school after winning the 'English Prize' for my year. It was a book token which I got to spend, then return for it to be presented by the Headmaster in front of all the parents. My choice? "The Complete Spectrum ROM Disassembly" br Dr Ian Logan and Dr Frank O'Hara. I was told "It wasn't even a proper book". Ha.

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:14 am

Being able to switch on a machine and begin programming straight away from the word go was pretty awesome.

My best overall memory was getting the magazines of the time each month (Zzap, Commodore Format), being on a limited budget and looking forward a lot to the covermount tapes that used to be on the front cover.
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

RichL

Post by RichL » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Winning a copy of Bubble Bobble in Zzap 64 by entering an art competition (you had to draw your own arcade cabinet for Bubble Bobble) and then never getting my name printed in the list of winners in any other issue of Zzap

:(

thl

Post by thl » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:12 pm

Mine has to be the arrival of the Sega Master System back in summer 1989. One of my brothers got it as a present from the school teacher for gaining 100% full attendance. I was so excited that I witnessed some great arcade conversions from the likes of Shinobi, Rastan, and Space Harrier. Plus using the Light Phaser for the first time was something special as it allows me to test my accuracy, especially if you're going hunting in Safari Hunt or bringing down troops in Operation Wolf.