Hot Topic - Best 8-bit memories

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rory Milne

Re: Hot Topic - Best 8-bit memories

Post by Rory Milne » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:45 am

Winter 83, crazy deep snow drifts, a borrowed Spectrum that I was too young to be left alone with and a copy of something called Zzoom. What would appear after the loading screen was anyone's guess but I wasn't leaving the room until I found out.

uglifruit

Post by uglifruit » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:34 am

Being in an sci-fi junior school christmas play which had a giant ZX81 in it ... then receiving a normal sized one on my birthday. A REAL COMPUTER in my house!
...you been goofin' with the bees?

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:09 am

Experiencing games made up until 1986. This was the golden era for me. After that 8-bit gaming started to go down hill. Some good games were still being developed but ultimately we had to put up with some awful movie licenses, poor arcade conversions and multi loads that killed the gameplay. Developers were also pushing the envelope too far in the interests of making money and the computers just weren't designed for it - Outrun for the speccy anyone?

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:25 pm

Ooh, there's loads....but persuading 5 of my mates to join me in an epic game of Chaos on the Speccy was one! Even got some C64 users hooked... :lol:
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:37 am

Waking up one Christmas morning to a NES and spending the rest of the day playing Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt with my Dad! Also, the amount of time I spent playing Super Mario Bros 3 and DuckTales. What a wonderful system that was - and still is!

richuk123

Post by richuk123 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:55 am

My first 8-bit memory was Alex Kidd.

i think most European users will have this as sega had the majority of the market here. the catch, but repetitive tune that im sad enough to admit is my ringtone now!!! :lol:
Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector.

fozmcfc

Post by fozmcfc » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:42 pm

Press A key on Spectrum Horizons tape.

Anyone who owned a rubber key Spectrum, will know what happens next.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:38 am

Probably playing Robocop on the Speccy for the first time. My mate had it and was raving about how 'awesome' it was. Went round to his house on the next saturday and spent all day playing it.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:34 pm

PLaying Blitz for the first time on my Vic 20 - the euphoria of playing a computer game in my parents front room!

a close 2nd is stopping by my friend Julian's house on the way home from school to play something from his vast collection of pirated spectrum games.

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:38 pm

So many as to be nigh on impossible to pick one - it's not like any other gaming era simply because of the vast range/choice of machines and software that were available.
some of my best would include - getting Imagic's Super Demon Attack from America from my TI/99/4a and almost having a pant accident at how much better it was graphically than the Atari VCS,HCS,Intellivision and VIC20 versions.
I also fondly remember me and my mates Atari evenings - getting together with our combined VCS collections then graduating up to the HCS stuff a couple of years later.
Seeing Rescue on Fractalus running on the Atari HCS for the first time took some beating.
Also have fond memories of my rubber keyed speccy and trying to play Steve Davis Snooker late at night - does anybody remember the horrifying noise the cursor made as you moved it and how bloody loud it seemed on the feeble Spectrum?

Stevearcade

Post by Stevearcade » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Wonder Boy 3 The Dragon's Trap (SMS). What an immense game. Still playing it today.

bsg

Post by bsg » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:32 am

Mine would be...

The Christmas day when I recieved my Atari 800xl and a bunch of games and finally getting them to boot... but then when The Lone Raider was loading and hearing 'Flight of the Bumblebee...' start coming out of my TV - I was astounded and thought it must have had the best sound chip ever - only to find out weeks later that it is on one of the other tracks :oops:

When I first bought a system with my own money - and I got the NES Action Pack and also ordered a couple of extra games... Kung Fu and Double Dragon and was amazed when I first put Super Mario Brothes in and realise it was arcade perfect!
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:07 pm

Knowing my folks had got me a secondhand Amstrad CPC464 with colour screen (you can all f**k off, I loved it) for Christmas with loads of games and sneaking into their room when they were out shopping, plugging it all in and having a blast on 3D Starstrike. I was the last one of my mates to get an 8 bit micro and this was coming with a big cardboard box full of just about all the games I wanted. The prospect of being able to play all those games at my leisure for hours and hours at my own house without having to share, wait for a go and then despondently go home for dinner, was just epic.
My (up to that point) smug Speccy owning best mate from across the road was just as impressed and we spent more time playing the CPC than the Speccy from that point on.

Genuinely can't ever remember a Christmas where I was more excited.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:15 pm

Setting up my very own Commodore 64 for the first time Christmas 1987. A nice new beige modern looking C64C too with a pile of games and a lightgun! Good times!

Saving up and buying the C64 version of Operation Wolf was also cracking. One the best 8 bit versions of that arcade classic, all the levels were there in one load which was amazing for the time!

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:21 pm

FatTrucker wrote:Knowing my folks had got me a secondhand Amstrad CPC464 with colour screen (you can all f**k off, I loved it)
Nowt wrong with Mr. (now Lord) Sugar's 464, only the only problem was that developers ported quite a few games to the 464 with the exactly the same graphics as the Speccy versions, all because it had the same type of CPU, lazy buggers. I recal that Chase HQ was rather good on the 464.