Hot Topic - Best 8-bit memories

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Stuart@retrogamer

Hot Topic - Best 8-bit memories

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:32 am

To coincide with a feature next month, what are your most fondest gaming memories of the 8-bit era?

Cheers.

thevulture

Re: Hot Topic - End of an 8-bit era

Post by thevulture » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:38 am

Realised it was over seeing IK+, Starglider 2 etc running on a friends ST (My C64 seemed soo old), Loved the sampled Enter the Dragon cries in IK+.

Some great jaw dropping moments, Dungeon Master just blew me away, later Midwinter 2-Deformation stuff (if that's right word?) firing a misile into the sand, seeing it create a creator, which was then filled by the tide.This years before Red Faction.

Just felt like being on dawn of a new age in gaming.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:43 am

Kinda similar question to this. http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=28264

My answer is the same...

Although to me they never died really, there were 2 moments when I realised they were being superseded. The first was when Crash became no more than a pamphlet & the second was when I played Castle of Illusion on my mate's imported Megadrive.

It's VERY difficult to pick out my fondest gaming memories there are just so many.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:46 am

the_hawk wrote:Kinda similar question to this. http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=28264

My answer is the same...

Although to me they never died really, there were 2 moments when I realised they were being superseded. The first was when Crash became no more than a pamphlet & the second was when I played Castle of Illusion on my mate's imported Megadrive.

It's VERY difficult to pick out my fondest gaming memories there are just so many.
Whoops, forgot Darran posted that. I've changed the topic slightly.

DigitalDuck

Re: Hot Topic - Best 8-bit memories

Post by DigitalDuck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:53 am

When I see "Best 8-bit" I think Lucky Dime Caper. I love it so much. Such a fun and colourful platformer that has something new every level.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:14 pm

Spectrum 128k with its monochrome games that fully loaded in a single load!.
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:24 pm

:wink: Ok then...Topic changed, so needs new answer (my 1st reply in this thread was too the original question).

Best 8 Bit memories: Getting Atari 8 Bit tape games to load (no mean feat). Seeing Rescue On Fract. running on Atari 8 Bit. The C64 Sid chip and the wonders produced on it by Hubbard, Follin, etc. 8 Bit Speech (Beach Head 2, Slimeys Mine).

Games that only needed a microswitched Joystick and 1 fire button.Seeing how far the hardware could be pushed (to this day, Delta 2 on C64, R-Type on Speccy really amaze me).

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:26 pm

Am I allowed to say the beauty of C90 Cassettes? If not, getting a Spectrum for Christmas (was completely gobsmacked as it was a total surprise) & being introduced to the wonder of Crash Magazine, which started my love affair of gaming magazines which continues to this day with Retro Gamer.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:16 pm

Zzap! Christmas editions got me excited.

Eagerly anticipating games to load on my C64 that I'd played in the arcade was terribly exciting.

Planning, and then programming games on my Apple II that I thought would be world-beaters but in the
end weren't because I couldn't program very well was extraordinarily exciting (getting there is half the fun, or
in my case, almost all the fun).

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:21 pm

Loading up Knight Lore for the first time. I hadn't read any reviews, just bought it on the strength of previous Ultimate games and the cool box art. I think my jaw hit the floor. The sheer joy of being able to move tables around was disproportionately exciting to me at the time. I still love that game to this day, and it still makes me tingle with happy memories.

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:26 pm

For me it has to be the availablility of games, both from the logistical point of view (Dixons, Boots, the sweet shop down the bottom of the road) and the cost of them (pocket money budget releases right through to spending £8.95 on Batman the Movie from a show at Ally Pally knowing I had it weeks before my school friends did)

prinnysquad

Post by prinnysquad » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:04 pm

The title screen music on Flimbo's Quest on the c64. I remember thinking to myself, 'this is better than most of the stuff in the charts!' I wasn't even too fussed about the game - I found it too hard. So I used to leave the title screen on and just sit there, listening. It's still catchy to this day.

The vibrancy of some of the c64 platforming games - CJ's Elephant Antics, New Zealand Story, Mayhem in Monsterland, Seymour, DJ Puff, Steg, Super Robin Hood, Creatures, hell, even Dizzy.

The tunes in the Master System version of Castle of Illusion were brilliant. All high-pitched trings, beeps and snare drums. More memorable tunes, I'm humming them now!

Talking of Disney, I loved the Lucky Dime Caper level (stage 3) that featured a massive run downhill. The sharp adjustment of gradient was tremendously entertaining, and the music on that level unforgettable.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:08 pm

Stuart@retrogamer wrote:To coincide with a feature next month, what are your most fondest gaming memories of the 8-bit era?

Cheers.
Teaching the C64 to swear using Currah Speech 64. Many hours of puerile, juvenile fun.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:11 pm

WH Smiths mid 80s in Wood Green Shopping City
Commodore 64 on display
10 Print "Great Big Tits ";
20 Goto 10
Run
Hiding around the corner
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:53 pm

WH Smiths mid 80s in Wood Green Shopping City
Commodore 64 on display
10 Print "Great Big Tits ";
20 Goto 10
Run
Hiding around the corner
Nothing to do with 8 Bit memories but the above reminded me of Format C: /q on 486 machines in Radio Rentals and others. Oh the fun we had LOL