Can we have less Nintendo love for a while

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Can we have less Nintendo love for a while

Post by The Laird » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:36 pm

Actually I used to quite enjoy Donkey Kong but that thats another story. I really don't see the need to start flinging insults at me just for having an opinion, it seems to be far too common place on these boards just lately.

I assume you are the same Mayhem from AA who I have had some pretty good convo's with over the years and always respected so I will step away from this convo as its been made pretty clear thats its a crime to say anything against Nintendo on these boards and leave you all to carry on worshipping them.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Nothing wrong with saying things against Nintendo. But that just seems to be all you do.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:41 pm

nakamura wrote:Nothing wrong with saying things against Nintendo. But that just seems to be all you do.
Sure right.

Just ignore all the information I posted for everyone in the Lynx and Jaguar threads then.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:45 pm

Yes, same Mayhem as per AA and many other places...

But, it isn't like I won't say anything bad against Nintendo. The Virtual Boy was a complete disaster; the 64DD was an ill-handled, illogical mess; and the decisions that ultimately led to Sony producing the Playstation are facepalm worthy. To name but three. Conversely Atari are not without similar, in hindsight, crazy decisions. Like not taking Nintendo up on helping to market and distribute the Famicom (to be the NES) in the US... how things could have been different if it had said yes...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:28 pm

Mayhem wrote:Yes, same Mayhem as per AA and many other places...

But, it isn't like I won't say anything bad against Nintendo. The Virtual Boy was a complete disaster; the 64DD was an ill-handled, illogical mess; and the decisions that ultimately led to Sony producing the Playstation are facepalm worthy. To name but three. Conversely Atari are not without similar, in hindsight, crazy decisions. Like not taking Nintendo up on helping to market and distribute the Famicom (to be the NES) in the US... how things could have been different if it had said yes...
Nintendo are thriving, Atari are a mere shadow. Not denying their history mind.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:20 am

nakamura wrote:Nintendo are thriving, Atari are a mere shadow. Not denying their history mind.
Justin Bieber's career is thriving, Shane MacGowan is a mere shadow of his former self. Your point being? :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:41 am

FatTrucker wrote:Special editions like last month aside, this is a conversation that never really goes away. When the mag ramp up 8 bit coverage, console lovers complain that its too focussed on the 80's home micros, when an issue is more console specific or covering 16 and 32 bit stuff, the 8 bit micro lovers complain, couple of months with Nintendo articles, its detractors want to know why, same for Sega and so on and so on.
Overall the mag strikes a healthy balance which varies from issue to issue and seems largely dependent on what gets submitted.
This isn't the point I was making though. Yes, people have moaned that too much coverage is given to broad topics (such an issue having too much 8-bit or 16-bit stuff in an issue), but this is about one company's platforms getting too much coverage, consistently, over a period of time.

I originally made this point around issue 84/85 when, because I had perceived that games on Nintendo platforms - whether first party or platform-exclusive - had seemingly been very prominent for at least a couple of issues. I actually looked back over about 5 or 6 issues and (IIRC, it was a while ago!) about 40%+ of the articles matched the criteria above. This ignored reviews and news, obviously, and was purely looking at articles.

Now that is a lot of stuff looking at one common theme; chuck-in the fact that they have also sponsored some covers (and talked of their 'special relationship' with the mag when promoting the latest Zelda cover) and it is a lot of coverage. Darran accepted as such and noted in a feedback thread a while ago that it would be toned-down a bit, and it has changed over the last few issues (Zelda aside), but it's still there.

The point about relying on submissions for other stuff is valid and balance is fine, but I just feel the balance is off.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:34 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
nakamura wrote:Nintendo are thriving, Atari are a mere shadow. Not denying their history mind.
Justin Bieber's career is thriving, Shane MacGowan is a mere shadow of his former self. Your point being? :lol:
Nintendo are thriving on their own merits in a cramped market with tough opposition. They have also thrived for over 30 years. That is much more than most companies can manage.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:46 pm

nakamura wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
Nintendo are thriving on their own merits in a cramped market with tough opposition. They have also thrived for over 30 years. That is much more than most companies can manage.
That may be true, but what is your point?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:48 pm

Topic title.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:04 pm

nakamura wrote:Topic title.
Ah, okay. I think saying "thrived for over 30 years" is pushing it though, at least insofar as the UK goes. Thirty years ago they had Donkey Kong over here in the arcades which was successful, then I suppose there was the limited success of Game & Watch and (correct me if I've omitted to mention anything major) then the NES which did quite poorly commercially. As far as I recall its only been the last 19 years since the release of SNES that Nintendo have "thrived" in the UK. That's only a little over 3 years longer ago than when Sony released PlayStation in the UK.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:15 pm

I meant as a company, here and abroad. Even if Nintendo have only thrived int he Uk for 20 odd years they have a long enough history to explore to count it for 30 odd.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:31 pm

nakamura wrote:I meant as a company, here and abroad. Even if Nintendo have only thrived int he Uk for 20 odd years they have a long enough history to explore to count it for 30 odd.
I don't doubt that at all :) . I was just pointing out Nintendo have only truly "thrived" in the UK for only a smidgen over 3 years longer than Sony have.

EDIT: I forgot about GameBoy.
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:26 pm

Except the point is being as a company in general, not in any specific region. If that was the case, Sega would have about a three year record if we were purely concerned about the US; the point in time after the Megadrive (Genesis) came out and before the SNES took over...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:01 pm

Mayhem wrote:Except the point is being as a company in general, not in any specific region. If that was the case, Sega would have about a three year record if we were purely concerned about the US; the point in time after the Megadrive (Genesis) came out and before the SNES took over...
But the "any specific region", as you put it, happens not to be just any old region. It happens to be THIS region, i.e. the one where by far the greatest amount of people buying the RG magazine live (to the best of my knowledge). What was popular in the USA has little or nothing to do with this discussion so I have no idea why you referenced Sega in that context.