Can we have less Nintendo love for a while

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Miketendo

Re: Can we have less Nintendo love for a while

Post by Miketendo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:04 am

psj3809 wrote:Theres going to be issues like this, due to the new Zelda game and the 25th year anniversary the decision to do the Zelda special is an obvious one. Next year is the Speccys 30th anniversary so i would expect an issue where theres a fair bit of Speccy love in it.

Some people will love the Zelda issue and will find stories about Anirog, Bubble Bus and Rabbit boring and 'bore the t!ts' off them as you so nicely put it ! Difficult to please everyone every single month

You sir, nailed it.

smilertoo

Post by smilertoo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:55 pm

Articles covering some of the old software houses might not entrance the zelda/sonic fans but at least they'd be truly 'retro'.
yes i have a sig.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:03 am

More Nintendo MORE MORE!!!

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:31 am

I think it's safe to say that we've all got our own particular retro likes and hates. I flick past any articles about Zelda and (dare I say it) Mario because they have no retro interest to me. Nintendo does seem to have cornered the market on retro favourites though. Goldeneye, Donkey Kong, etc.

The other thing for me is that I switched off with video games for a period of the 90s anyway. I went through a big period in the 80s on the Spectrum and eventually got an Amiga some time in the early 90s. I played Amiga games for a long time, well after the machine had died out, but didn't invest in anything new until I got a Playstation in 1998. So, Nintendo and Sega passed me by. Although to be fair I did have a mate that had a Sega Saturn and an N64.

However, that's not to say I don't enjoy reading about older games and if it's available, I'll then try to get an emulated copy of the game. I've found some great games I'd never have discovered that way.

But after the massive celebration issues for Mario and Zelda, it does beg the question, would we ever get a 20 page celebration of, for example, Dizzy? Or Zool?
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:09 pm

RetroENZO wrote: But after the massive celebration issues for Mario and Zelda, it does beg the question, would we ever get a 20 page celebration of, for example, Dizzy? Or Zool?
Zelda and Mario have sold millions and millions of units over the years and are still relevant today. I'd love to do a Dizzy cover and have pitched one several times in the past, but you have to pick covers that will appeal to everyone and let's face it, as great as the Dizzy series is, it's not exactly in the same league as the Nintendo games.

I would have thought by now that most readers would know that all the strengths of Retro Gamer lie within the magazine, not what's on its cover.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:52 pm

On a nintendo / retro gamer related side note.. has there been an issue thats covered the kirby series of games in detail.. much like zelda? If so can you tell me which issue.. if not then WHY THE F*CK NOT!!! :D

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:52 am

I think Retro Gamer should just publish a single, 5000-page issue containing ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. Then nobody will be complaining.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:34 pm

Dunjohn wrote:I think Retro Gamer should just publish a single, 5000-page issue containing ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. Then nobody will be complaining.
Or make it 4999 pages by ditching the Amstrad articles....
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:36 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:Or make it 4999 pages by ditching the Amstrad articles....
Don't be silly. You can't have an odd number of pages in a magazine.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:08 pm

DigitalDuck wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:Or make it 4999 pages by ditching the Amstrad articles....
Don't be silly. You can't have an odd number of pages in a magazine.
:lol: :lol:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:49 am

Dunjohn wrote:I think Retro Gamer should just publish a single, 5000-page issue containing ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. Then nobody will be complaining.
Yes they would.

"This issue is too heavy to read comfortably in the bath/on the bus/sat on the throne"

"I can't find the article I really wanted to read"

"I'm from Dewey, Cheatum and Howe, we are suing on behalf of all the freelancers who have been worked to death..."
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:49 pm

It's funny how most people have focussed on the Zelda comment and not the full content of the original post.

Ignoring the current issue, Nintendo games (be they Nintendo's own output or Nintendo-exclusive titles) have featured very-heavily over a period of time disproportionately to other systems - it's easy enough to check and I have mentioned it in a previous feedback thread.

Now of course there are business reasons for doing so on some of the bigger titles (I'd be interested to know if there was a sales-spike from the previous gold-Zelda cover), and in other instances I'm sure more Nintendo titles get pitched than other systems, but it is a fact that the Big N feature a bit, to the level that they have collaborated on covers more than once (I'm not suggesting anything sinister here at all).

And this isn't about not liking Nintendo, but about variety; of games, of studios, of platforms. Nintendo make some of the most critically-acclaimed games that sell millions; but since when was RG all about the populist approach?

fozmcfc

Post by fozmcfc » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm

I think Gabe has made some valid points and I myself at time have thought along similar line. Maybe some of it is down to the fact there seems to be a lot more retro related stuff being released on the Wii and DS and now the 3DS then other modern systems.

Or prehaps because several of the most iconic gaming characters have or are solely with Nintendo roots. Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong all have had large features about them. Mario and Zelda particularly large.

Maybe I'm being cynical, but the editor seems to have a huge love of Nintendo and it's current systems and I guess, he could like all of us get a bit carried away over something we love.

This month sees Sonic, so maybe a change of stance and hopefully an 8 bit computer feel to another up and coming issue.

o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:00 am

ChipTune wrote:got wind waker for GC.. AMAZING.. this is THE Zelda game for me.. anyone who moans about the graphic style is retarded..
Really? We're doing this? I could have sworn that anyone who calls someone retarded based on their preferences is retarded.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:28 pm

fozmcfc wrote:
Maybe I'm being cynical, but the editor seems to have a huge love of Nintendo and it's current systems and I guess, he could like all of us get a bit carried away over something we love.
It's more to do with the fact that Nintendo more than any other publisher at the moment is bringing out games based on older franchises and when you tie the covers in with those games sales of the magazine significantly rise and then stay stable (ie the newer readers who may have bought it because they see Mario on the cover actually like the magazine and continue to but it, even when it features an Oli Frey cover or something 8-bit).

As I've said countless times in the past, if I actually started to force my own personal gaming preferences on you there would be massive gaps in gaming's history because the only things that had come out would have been Strider, shoot-em-ups and the Amstrad CPC.