Can we have less Nintendo love for a while

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

smilertoo

Can we have less Nintendo love for a while

Post by smilertoo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Any chance of less nintendo stuff for a while, especially zelda...the games always bored the tits off me and when theyre covered the articles tend to go completely overboard.

How about covering some of the old UK software houses that came and went...anirog, bubble bus, rabbit etc.
yes i have a sig.

dubchaser

Re: Can we have less Nintendo love for a while

Post by dubchaser » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:58 am

Whilst I do like Nintendo I'm not that interested in reading about them. Sega does it for me. They had more balls than Nintendo which for me is too cutesy.
Dedicated to the Atari Lynx, Jaguar and Jaguar CD:
www.retrosprite.co.uk

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:28 am

i think the next issue will be more to your taste.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:29 pm

dubchaser wrote:Whilst I do like Nintendo I'm not that interested in reading about them. Sega does it for me. They had more balls than Nintendo which for me is too cutesy.
Replace more balls with a crap business sense and you are about spot on.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:35 pm

nakamura wrote:
dubchaser wrote:Whilst I do like Nintendo I'm not that interested in reading about them. Sega does it for me. They had more balls than Nintendo which for me is too cutesy.
Replace more balls with a crap business sense and you are about spot on.
Sega also does it for me. Yes they had more balls but at the same time had a crapper business sense so both of you are right in a way!
jdanddiet wrote:i think the next issue will be more to your taste.
I love the current Zelda issue as i am a big fan and its the first mag i have bought in years. However i am an even bigger Sega fan so jdanddiet your comment has got me intrigued. Tell me more!
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:28 pm

SonicTheHedgehog wrote:I love the current Zelda issue as i am a big fan and its the first mag i have bought in years. However i am an even bigger Sega fan so jdanddiet your comment has got me intrigued. Tell me more!
Hint: Sonic the Hedgehog came out in June 1991. Next month's issue is June 2011.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:33 pm

DigitalDuck wrote:
SonicTheHedgehog wrote:I love the current Zelda issue as i am a big fan and its the first mag i have bought in years. However i am an even bigger Sega fan so jdanddiet your comment has got me intrigued. Tell me more!
Hint: Sonic the Hedgehog came out in June 1991. Next month's issue is June 2011.
With his avatar you would have thought he could have worked it out.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:53 am

Theres going to be issues like this, due to the new Zelda game and the 25th year anniversary the decision to do the Zelda special is an obvious one. Next year is the Speccys 30th anniversary so i would expect an issue where theres a fair bit of Speccy love in it.

Some people will love the Zelda issue and will find stories about Anirog, Bubble Bus and Rabbit boring and 'bore the t!ts' off them as you so nicely put it ! Difficult to please everyone every single month

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:38 am

smilertoo wrote:Any chance of less nintendo stuff for a while, especially zelda...the games always bored the tits off me and when theyre covered the articles tend to go completely overboard.

How about covering some of the old UK software houses that came and went...anirog, bubble bus, rabbit etc.
It was a commemorative Zelda issue so you're unlikely to see much more on the subject for a while. Issue 92 is meant to have an 8 bit focus so should be a lot more up your street. The last issue to cover Zelda in any detail or volume was #51 over 3 years ago so its hardly a balancing problem.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:08 am

psj3809 wrote:Theres going to be issues like this, due to the new Zelda game and the 25th year anniversary the decision to do the Zelda special is an obvious one. Next year is the Speccys 30th anniversary so i would expect an issue where theres a fair bit of Speccy love in it.

Some people will love the Zelda issue and will find stories about Anirog, Bubble Bus and Rabbit boring and 'bore the t!ts' off them as you so nicely put it ! Difficult to please everyone every single month
Impossible to please everyone, so many games, so many formats.Folks need to bear in mind, that when it boils down to it, magazine needs to sell units to continue, thus it has to cover the more mainstream games.The balance RG manages each and every month is pretty spot on for myself.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:39 am

psj3809 wrote:Theres going to be issues like this, due to the new Zelda game and the 25th year anniversary the decision to do the Zelda special is an obvious one. Next year is the Speccys 30th anniversary so i would expect an issue where theres a fair bit of Speccy love in it.
Bearing this in mind, we should have ZX81, Vic 20, TRS 80, TI99/4A and BBC issues before the year is out, with perhaps a few features on some of the less obvious systems ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:43 am

DigitalDuck wrote:
Yeah that's fairly obvious based on one of the back pages of the current issue :lol: I meant tell me more about it!!!
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:42 am

Thought I hated Zelda too, but this months issue got me interested in the series.. tried Twilight Princess, it sucked hard, rubbish, tried replaying Ocarina, awful blurry sluggish mess.. no thanks..

got wind waker for GC.. AMAZING.. this is THE Zelda game for me.. anyone who moans about the graphic style is retarded.. it is the absolute spot on follow up to the SNES game (which I also love). the style, music, presentation, items, flow .. everything.. brings back memories of the SNES game, but without regurgitating old material.. Its amazing.. :D

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:36 pm

I will no doubt incur the wrath of the fanboys'n'girls BUT - I have had my fill of F**kin Zelda, Mario, Sonic, Strider, Amstrad fertishism and all the other repeat offenders, what is the point in covering the same group of stuff over and over again? I have said this before in various other posts - by all means cover things again(dont buy the Zelda 3 year thing for a minute!), but please use the as yet uncovered stuff first.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:07 pm

PanzerGeneral wrote:I will no doubt incur the wrath of the fanboys'n'girls BUT - I have had my fill of F**kin Zelda, Mario, Sonic, Strider, Amstrad fertishism and all the other repeat offenders, what is the point in covering the same group of stuff over and over again? I have said this before in various other posts - by all means cover things again(dont buy the Zelda 3 year thing for a minute!), but please use the as yet uncovered stuff first.
"Retro" is a limited market, so it's a given certain topics might crop up more than once, particularly the popular franchises/characters. Plus I'd imagine the popular characters sell a magazine better than the more obscure. I certainly enjoy them.

Anyway, it's not as though Retro Gamer's filled to the brim with Nintendo orientated content, personally I find each magazine is very well rounded, catering for everyone they can.