From the forum question for issue 32

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:14 pm

Christmas 84 or 85, I got a Tomy 3d game, the one were your a tank shooting the Tron style floating crafts coming towards you. This was the last Christmas I believed in Santa as my older sister said she would tell me were mum hides the presents if I leave her and her friends alone. (I had to act really suprised on Christmas day). My sister stole the game from me years later and it became known as "the toilet game" in her house (she still wont give it back - evil big sister).
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

Sega2006

Re:

Post by Sega2006 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:52 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:Commando for the Commodore 64!!! Unfortunately I only had a Vic 20 and my parents strung me along saying that the shop had told them that the VIC would play 64 games with the RAM Pack we had, I was very upset.
I went up to my room and my dad had set the C64 up while I was unwrapping my presents!!!!
My Dad did that to me on my Birthday a few years ago. I had been saving up for an Xbox and asked for some money towards it. My Dad told me to go sort my money out to go buy it. So I go out and sort the dosh, come back in and nearly sat on the Xbox that was sitting on the sofa
Watching you sleep since 1990

monkey puzzle

Post by monkey puzzle » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:57 pm

Only 2 Christmasses spring to mind:
1991 - Sega Megadrive bundled with Sonic
1988 - Afterburner & Operation Wolf on C64. These were both convervsions of my favorite arcades but sadly only one of them was any good (I dont need to say which)

Mort

Post by Mort » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:38 pm

For me it must be Christmas 1980!, when my brother and I got an Atari Vcs with Combat and Space Invaders, great 2 player gaming was had by all and even my dad joined in after a few Pale Ales (well as he put it, this has cost me £200 and I am having a go LOL).
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:53 pm

Mort wrote:For me it must be Christmas 1980!, when my brother and I got an Atari Vcs with Combat and Space Invaders, great 2 player gaming was had by all and even my dad joined in after a few Pale Ales (well as he put it, this has cost me £200 and I am having a go LOL).

I remember my 2600-it's definately the bext designed box any console ever came in
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

seanmcmanus

Post by seanmcmanus » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:57 am

Christmas 1984 was a stunner. My brother and I got an Amstrad CPC464. It was completely unexpected - we hadn't even imagined we might get a computer. I think everyone in our street went to bed with the chiming music from Roland on the Ropes going through their head. I'm sure our parents did. My Mum and Dad got through three faulty Vic20s from Dixons before plumping for the Amstrad, which luckily worked first time and still works today. My second best Christmas gift would be the assembly language tutorial I got a few years later. I was knee-deep in hexcodes by the Queen's speech. Sad, I know.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:52 pm

Sega Mega Drive with Street of Rage & Sonic

The Queen's speech didnt have a chance!
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

Retrokid_1982

Post by Retrokid_1982 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:32 am

Probably 97" not very long ago i Know!
That year was very hard for me as I was in and out of hospital all year, So I was taken aback when that year I received an N64 with a copy of Goldeneye! I was blown away.
Spent the entire Christmas Holiday playing it from my ward bed. :)
What make's it such a great suprise was the fact that my gaming had dwindled that year due to my health so it was the best possible way to get back into it.

drewbar

Post by drewbar » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:32 am

More recent I know, but....

2005 - Sega Saturn - via ebay from wife. What a great machine. Area 51 kept me busy for some time.
2006 - Pre-ordered Nintendo Wii. Not usually one to purchase a console on release, let alone one from Nintendo with a silly name. This has me very excited. Bizzare control, downloadable retro content....bring it on!

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:02 pm

I can't remember what year it was, and it was a present I bought myself, but on Christmas Eve some years back (late 80's/early 90's?) I went out and bought a compilation for my Amiga (I recall it had Dynamite Dux and possibly Crackdown on it). So what makes it memorable? It snowed that day as I was coming home from the game shop. Lovely, and gave me a real Christmas feeling.

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:59 pm

After years of hijacking my Uncle's Commodore 64, I got one for Christmas 1987. Best... Christmas... ever.
真・豪鬼

AllYourBase

Post by AllYourBase » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:57 am

I can tell you the worst Christmas present I got, I think it must have been 1983 or 84 but my mum got me a Philips Videopac G7000 - even as a kid aged 7 or 8 I knew this was wrong. I was nagging for an Atari 2600 like some of my mates older brothers had! Anyway some of the games were similar sort of clones, and TANK could be fun. I remember getting the carts from Kays catalogue or something, I think they were horribly overpriced. The keyboard had no real use, I bet my mum chose this over the 2600 thinking it was more educational!

Some years later for Christmas I got a spectrum +2 which was the business. I played that to death, it was just the right time to have one before all the cool Ocean games starting coming out, I cut my teeth on Horace goes skiing and Jet Set Willy!

Another Christmas probably 2 years later I got the Master System with Rambo III and light phaser, this was something I helped mum choose, I remember going into "The computer store" and buying it for about £90 which seemed like a lot of money at the time. I didn't get any other games so I had to play the built in snail game for a while!

Then after that it is all a blur, I must have had every console afterwards by playground swapping like a right old del-boy! They were great times to be a gamer, everything changing so rapidly, each console/computer representing another stage in your life. 8)
Twitter: @dazcalvert

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:33 am

I'd have to say it was my Atari 65XE. I was told that after my ZX81 broke when I was about 6 I wasn't aloud another computer until I was 14. I was so pleased I didn't even mind that the box was wrapped in wall paper.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

EnglishRob

Re:

Post by EnglishRob » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:35 am

Dudley wrote:A subscription to Retro Gamer! Only £15 people! *teeth glint.
True, last xmas was a good one - an issue of Retro Gamer - kept me happy all xmas.
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:52 am

Dudley wrote:A subscription to Retro Gamer! Only £15 people! *teeth glint.
Oh Dudley. Such a transparent and blatant attempt to get in to 'From the Forum'. You've already had your fifteen minutes of fame. Let some of our more illiterate members have a chance.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian