From the forum question for issue 32

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:47 pm

Mine was FFVII on the PS1: I was sick (bad case of Glandular fever) and my wife needed to do a lot of work for her las year of uni, so to get me out of her hair she gave me the game a month early. I stayed in bed for nearly two months playing it, well through Christmas. Best illness ever!

Close second, my parents bought me a Master System with Action Fighter. Bless 'em.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:47 pm

Utini wrote:My favourite Christmas was 1989 - the one year where my present wasn't a kick in the head with an iron boot.
You were given an Amstrad instead? :wink:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:49 pm

Utini wrote:My favourite Christmas was 1989 - the one year where my present wasn't a kick in the head with an iron boot.

A kick in the head with an iron boot! LUXURY

When I was a kid we were lucky if we had boots made out of old cornflake packets. How I used to dream about a kick in the head with an iron boot.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:53 pm

When I were a kid , we only dreamed of wearing any footwear
We had to wear coco-nut shells on our feet
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

MattC

Re:

Post by MattC » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:54 pm

SirClive wrote:
MattC wrote: the Amsoft Fruit Machine - which was already loaded into the computer when I first laid eyes on it.
Someones parents were 'testing' the machine for you on christmas eve! Spose the shops weren't open for them to change it for a real present though.
As the great bearded red one would say, Ho, Ho, Bloody Ho :D

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:15 pm

Back in 1987 my parents secretly arranged for Mathew Smith to knock the door at dinner-time, dressed as Santa. He came in and ate christmas dinner with us before giving me a opy of 'Miner Willy Meets The Taxman', with orders to never distribute it or show it to anyone in my life. We then played on my Amstrad together and had a two player session on 'Sultan's Maze'.

THAT was the best christmas gaming present ever.

I think...

I mean... it was a long time ago, so the above may not be completely factually accurate...
Last edited by GetDexter on Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

forestville

Post by forestville » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:12 pm

Christmas 1987 my mum and dad brought me a zx spectrum +2 with a load of games, it was a good upgrade from using a 48k +, loading up the 128k versions of games i had previously played on the 48k was a major leap ahead with the sound, oh hearing that music on saboteur 2 for the first time was mega cool 8) and also on into the eagles nest and cybernoid.

the following christmas "1988" i had the multiface 128 and i started cheating on games such as where time stood still and bedlam, cybernoid 1 and 2

to name but a few

:D :D
Press play on tape

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:27 am

I got my 128k speccy for christmas too. The only dedicated games I had (apart from all my 48k games) were Daley Thompsons Supertest and Neverending Story. I couldn't work out what to do with Neverending Story so used to just turn the sound up on my tv (no more speaker under the computer - yay!) and play the excellent music loud while I did other stuff. Don't think I ever actually played the game properly.

Kai

Post by Kai » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:22 am

On christmas 1990 I got the ultimate gaming machine, I was so keen on playing at our neighbour and my friends: the Amiga 500 - my first own homecomputer! Complete with monitor, 2 silver-blue competition pro joysticks, a 9-dot matrix printer and a computer table. It was so great, I just couldn't believe it! Just like the two games I got with it: "Conqueror" (a cheap "Virus" clone) and "Snowstrike" (a cheesy action flight sim).

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:35 am

The Christmas after I got my C64 I received Commando, Ghosts 'n Goblins and Skyfox. And my parents let me bring the C64 down from my room (where it was hooked up to a B&W TV) to play on the colour TV downstairs. I couldn't jump past the very first gravestone of GnG because the up+right on my joystick wasn't working, but I still had an hour of fun running around in that first section killing zombies and avoiding that stupid fire bomb power up.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:36 am

When Amstrad games stopped being sold in stores I had no way of buying them short of importing. At 10 years old that wasn't going to happen, as my parents had no credit card. My grandparents went to the UK for a holiday, & they ended up coming back in November.

Fast forward to Christmas day, I find Double Dragon & the "Heroes" compilation in my stocking!! Mum had placed a bit of an order for me before they went over.

Good old Mum :)

dr_bob

Post by dr_bob » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:12 am

Not a present as such but a pretty good Christmas memory, 11 years ago I used to work in an electrical shop ,this was around the time of the original Playstation launch.Back then it cost around £300 IR to buy and was fairly exclusive .Anyway the run up to Christmas was mental as always , with most of us working 6/7 day weeks .We used to play on the "display" Playstation in the shop after work for an hour or two , playing Tekken and Ridgeracer before locking up for the night.
At Christmas Eve after we'd closed up , our manager turned to me and one of the other gamers and asked us if we wanted to "sign out" one of the unsold playstations each , and a few games , and sign them back in when we came back after chrimbo.(when you work in a shop for a while , you become very , very good at reboxing items).So that Christmas I spent most of the time playing on the still quite exclusive playstation and about 10 still quite expensive games , with most of my mates over to "help" - result :)

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:41 am

Commando for the Commodore 64!!! Unfortunately I only had a Vic 20 and my parents strung me along saying that the shop had told them that the VIC would play 64 games with the RAM Pack we had, I was very upset.
I went up to my room and my dad had set the C64 up while I was unwrapping my presents!!!!

Robbo

Re:

Post by Robbo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:15 am

The Last Ginja wrote:Commando for the Commodore 64!!! Unfortunately I only had a Vic 20 and my parents strung me along saying that the shop had told them that the VIC would play 64 games with the RAM Pack we had, I was very upset.
I went up to my room and my dad had set the C64 up while I was unwrapping my presents!!!!
Another great story there! Parents can be buggers can't they? :lol:

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:54 pm

My sister got me a Nintendo Game and Watch Donkey Kong (she had a good job!) which was better than the present that my parents got me. Years later she admitted that there had been a huge bust up between her and my mum about upstaging them with presents.......

Alos got a Floppy drive for Xmas for my beeb although i kinda knew it was coming as I had to tell them which drive and dfs to get......otherwise I'd have ended up with a 40 track single sided cumana.........
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image