From the forum question for issue 32

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

From the forum question for issue 32

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:48 am

You know the usual drill by now ;)

Your favourite gaming related Christmas present

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:54 am

I got Astro Wars for Christmas in 1981 or 82. It was like having an arcade in my bedroom! I must have played it for days on end. My brother ended up swapping it for a set of Disney encylopaedia's a year later though. I think he is adopted!

bolda

Post by bolda » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:57 am

A NES with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Gradius and Ikari Warriors... kept me going well into boxing day!
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:03 am

A ZX Spectrum from my parents along with a copy of C&VG from my brother (which kick started my love affair of games magazines which continues to this day). I wasn't expecting a Spectrum as my family weren't exactly 'well off' & they must've pulled out all the stops to afford one for me. Needless to say I was extremely happy. :D

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:12 am

ThunderCats for the C64. Was a massive TCats fan so when this popped out the wrapping paper I hurridly opened the other pressies then headed straight to the computer! It must have stayed on for the next 18 hours (only paused during Xmas dinner) and I finally came off it in the early hours of boxing day. The next day, my C64 was naffed and was out of action for months until my parents could afford to get it fixed. :cry:

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:18 am

A Commodore VIC-20 starter pack. It was my first home computer and I loved it to bits. That was the best Xmas ever :)

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:38 am

It's a toss-up between getting my BBC Master many moons ago and my Mega Drive in '92.

For this exercise, I'll go with the Mega Drive as the BBC was a bit of a new experience for me and I was very young, but I was really gnashing at the bit for a console prior to the Christmas when I got my MD. It was made even better because I initially thought I was getting a Master System, but my Brother had managed to convince my parents to get a MD instead. Cue spending the whole day taking turns at Sonic while noshing all the nice food that Santa had bought :wink:

Good times!

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:53 am

Would probably have to be Tir Na Nog for my Speccy.

Never played anything quite like it at the time. The graphics, atmosphere concept and overall presentation from Gargoyle were something a bit special.

Pants

Robbo

Re:

Post by Robbo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:17 am

Sureshot wrote:It's a toss-up between getting my BBC Master many moons ago and my Mega Drive in '92.

For this exercise, I'll go with the Mega Drive as the BBC was a bit of a new experience for me and I was very young, but I was really gnashing at the bit for a console prior to the Christmas when I got my MD. It was made even better because I initially thought I was getting a Master System, but my Brother had managed to convince my parents to get a MD instead. Cue spending the whole day taking turns at Sonic while noshing all the nice food that Santa had bought :wink:

Good times!
Such a wonderful story. It reminds me of a similar situation I had on Xmas '91.

At the time my number one gaming system was the Sega Master System. Sonic had not long been out and I was dying to have it for Xmas... and my parents knew it. I opened every present hoping the next one was the Sonic game. Finally all the pressies were opened and there was no Sonic. Then my Dad gave me a present that was hidden behind the settee and it was the shape I had been looking for! I opened it up excitedly and to my horror, there it was the Sonic game... but the damn MEGA DRIVE version. I was crushed as I thought they'd made a monumental censored up. Imagine my shock when my Dad said "you better have this then" and got out yet another present... a SEGA MEGA DRIVE!

HEAVEN!

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:35 am

That's also a great story, damn parents :lol:

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:53 am

My Megadrive! Got a Japanese machine for Xmas 1990 - that was a very good year indeed.

I think my parents regretted the choice as it meant they couldn't watch TV for the rest of the day.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:30 am

The obvious choice would be my first computer a Speccy. That was one brilliant Xmas but i'll go with the following year when i received my first tape to tape cassette machine. That was a dream, suddenly i could tape tons of games easily and quickly. Probably wore it out with the amount of copies i did back then !

P-Head

Post by P-Head » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:42 am

When I was 9 or 10 I got an Amiga 500 for Christmas, with the Astra Pack bundle. Datastorm, Shufflepuck Cafe, Tower Of Babel, Powerplay... awesome. I spent the whole day playing Grand Monster Slam.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:54 am

A subscription to Retro Gamer! Only £15 people! *teeth glint.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:58 am

The Pac-Man board game! Our cat kept trying to steal the little white marbles until we "accidentally" hid a few in his Kit-e-Kat!! Never laughed harder than when watching our irritating moggy try to chow down on a rock-hard Pac Man power pill! Aaahh blissful childhood innocence! :lol: