Issue 100.

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Issue 100.

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:43 am

RetroMartin wrote:I reckon it should be lots of "top 100" stuff, have a load of reader related stuff in the magazine. Or get each forum member in a thread to write about ONE retro game and the first 100 or the best of them, will go into the magazine as a kind of "forum review" thing....that could be fun!
I like that idea...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

uglifruit

Post by uglifruit » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:30 pm

Whilst I can't see these things happening...

A cover tape, sellotaped to the outside, with something for the major 8-bit machines (Speccy, C64, CPC64) on it. That'd be all kinds of awesome. (Get Simon from Cronosoft involved).

A flexidisc on the cover. Doesn't really matter what's on it - cos I love flexidiscs. In an ideal world it would have a new game featuring the Thompson Twins. This is even less likely than the cover tape idea.

'100' x '100'. 100 retrogaming figures have exactly 100 words to say something important.

Retro-trope. A cut-out and assemble Zoetrope of retro gaming icons, dancing. 'Cos zoetropes are cool.

Each issue includes a numbered ticket, to a bloomin' great retro tea party (with jelly and icecream, and no games til after the tables are cleared).

A mega quiz. 100 screenshots, name the retro game. It should be hard, and have a suitably mega prize. (Bah, you didn't spot that it was the PC version of European Championship Edition of Sensible Soccer. Imbecile!)

Ditto, an easter egg hunt throughout the magazine. Get the art dept busy hiding Miner Willys, Monty Moles and Q*Berts throughout the mag. Count them and submit your answer to win fabulous prizes. (Hopefully a Zoetrope).

Feature: Where it all began. Classic platform: PDP-1. (10 essential games).

See if you can persuade Johnathan Cauldwell or Bob Smith to knock together a Retro Gamer themed gamer, and publish it as a type-in. (And make readers absolutely promise not to type it in and then distribute the rom image online).

A history of (retro)gaming magazines. Especially ones you have outlived.

All the best with your celebrations.
...you been goofin' with the bees?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:39 pm

I love that type-in idea ;)

Things I'd love to see, but will most likely never get include.

An interview with Shigeru Miyamoto
Interview with the Stamper Brothers where they discuss the ideas behind all the games they made
The making of the Spectrum

(I'll keep trying though)
Will most likely start prepping this next month as there's not a lot of time left now.

uglifruit

Post by uglifruit » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:00 pm

...and..

...a Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club style sleeve ... "it was 100 issues ago today..." ... with videogame characters and industry heroes. Also this could be tied into a 'name them all' competition.

... have you got lots of promo merchandise? .. that could be given away in some spectacular fashion. I remember a mag doing that and it the coolest thing ever (if you were 14).

... some kind of cosplay feature. Mental people dressed as videogame characters are always great.

... Retro game character top trumps. "Mega man... mega-ness ...10"

... 'Retro is in the past'. A timeline of significant ends of the era. (Last snes game published etc)

... and 'Long live retro', the uplifting antithesis to the last piece ... all about homebrew and new games for distinctly retro systems. (A top 10 new-essentials for each 'dead' system).

... A RevStu all-the-versions-ever of 'Centipede' (having a very tenuous 100 tie in)

... Emulator special - an in-depth Mame feature might be nice. Have we had one of those? Be nice to learn what those behind mame think about mame.

... Proper home 3D gaming. A history including Master system segascope glasses, Magic carpet 3D anaglyph mode, ... to the 3DS. The magazine should obviously come with red blue glasses, and lots of 3D pics. And a lenticular cover. Cos they are always cool.

... Birthday Cake. From 'Cookie' to 'Portal' ... 100 games with cake in them.

Also how about scheduling a second-life, (or irc), birthday party. And pimping it in the mag. We can all play "JSW online" or something whilst wearing paper hats.
...you been goofin' with the bees?

webding

Post by webding » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:06 am

Whilst mostly mental, some of those are actually very good ideas.

Proper reader content is surely never going to happen, but 100x100 is a top idea, and if anyone could submit a piece for consideration, you could end up with a brilliant mix of opinions, anecdotes and comedy from a range of staff, industry types, celebrities and fans/readers. I'd hate to be the poor sod sifting the submissions, mind.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:21 am

I had a dream last night where my Issue 91 contained an ad for Issue 100. It was going to come with a cover dvd with a bunch of retro-related TV episodes on it, such as that episode of Commercial Breaks that dealt with Imagine.

Can't remember anything else, I was driving a forklift at the time.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:26 am

Since it's the 100th magazine, perhaps you could include a reprint of the entire first magazine as a "gift" of sorts (even if it means a one week only price increase), or to celebrate place it as a digital download as part of the iphone app?

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:02 am

As its a special issue. I would like to see an article on Arcade gaming. For anyone under 25 they would not have had the opportunity to experience the arcade in its height of popularity and to document it would preserve it historically as well as share memories on what young gamers missed out on - Rows of Cabs ready to play with the latest cutting edge releases along side old favourites. A Smoke filled atmosphere with cig burns on cabs, making your change last by choosing a cab to play. Finding a free cred, your eyes sunblasted out as you emerge from your dark gaming cave!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:40 am

that would be brilliant, something on arcade machines, pinball machines, damn I used to love all that. There was a book about the arcades and arcade machines that was released eons ago, they had it at my school, it was a really good read.. dont ask me what the title was though but I think I just kept re-borrowing it until they stopped letting me do that. Then I probably stole it. Well, no I didn't.

Servbot

Post by Servbot » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:17 am

A review of E.T on the 2600, could make a nice cover? :D...... If you think this is bad, you don't wanna know what my birthday partys are like :\

( Has no idea if this has been done. )

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:07 pm

Servbot wrote:A review of E.T on the 2600, could make a nice cover? :D...... If you think this is bad, you don't wanna know what my birthday partys are like :\

( Has no idea if this has been done. )
lol oh dear! I can only imagine!

I want in the 100th Issue;
Not a normal issue, just dedicated to the 100th Issue, no reviews, homebrew etc
* Another top 100 retro games (upto year 2000! no arguments its settled!) rated by the viewers, obivously a poll would need to started in the autumn for this. (8 pages)
* 100 greatest game machines ever voted by the viewers (again upto year 2000) (8 pages) with details of machine, date, est of number of games, amount sold etc (8 pages)
* 100 years of gaming...list best games of 1912 etc....oh hang on....

RichL

Post by RichL » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:04 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: The making of the Spectrum
How come this isn't possible Darran?

I reckon I can understand why you cant get the others.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:44 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I love that type-in idea ;)
+1 for that.

I'm sure there could be some Homebrew hero that could knock together some kind of fun/silly/vaguely playable game in BASIC. It would be a hell of a treat for some of your readers. :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Devote the entire issue to the PC engine, and make sure you include an article on how final match tennis is the best tennis game ever produced. :D

Slightly more seriously, you could make it a hardback edition.

PS you could also do a reprint of all the issues I have missed out on. Which isnt many by the way.

Eat your nans pants

Stevearcade

Post by Stevearcade » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:59 am

hydr0x wrote:I'd love to see some kind of Top 100 list really. Not a simple top 100 games though, something special/quirky. Like, Top 100 games featuring parrots or something :lol:
I like this idea, the top 100 list. The whole magazine (or at least a seriously large portion of the mag) can be a detailed top 100 games of all time type thing (although I know this would be a really controversial list, maybe it would need to be within some kind of context, like the top 100 most influential games of all time).

Like a page on each game, the story of the game and brief description of it's gameplay and why it's important historically. Some historical/social context, a couple of quotes from some developers of the game or other that were inspired by it, some nice pictures and so on.

That would be an issue to read carefully, put in a plastic wrapper, high up in the book case and keep away from the kids for sure :wink: .

:D