Issue 90 feedback thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroMartin

Re: Issue 90 feedback thread

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:08 am

I'm only halfway through flicking through it and I must say it is one of the best issues I have laid eyes on. Not necessarily because it's better then the others, but because the content is nearly ALL relevant to me and my interests. So I'm biased naturally :p

Oh and the actual writing is good to - the Saturn PAL checklist is genius, the zelda features fantastic and you reminded me of several of my favourite series' I haven't played in ages that I must go back to at some point!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:16 am

While I generally don't pay a lot of attention to the reviews, I'm still somewhat mystified by the one for The Tomb Raider Trilogy. You do know that both Legend and Anniversary had native Xbox 360 versions which are based on the same engine? After all, Anniversary was (and probly still is) available as DLC for Legend. It's rather obvious the PS3 ports are based on that tech and even slightly improved with mostly a more stable framerate. These games do look noticably more detailed than the PS2 versions, which makes the comparison to Prince of Persia (where this isn't really the case) a bit curious.

Also, while I understand the wish to have a "complete" Underground in the collection (I felt the samy way), the complaint about having to pay extra for the two DLC-levels is wrong: These aren't available on the PS3 and never have been, as they're Xbox-360-exklusive.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:46 am

Weblaus wrote:While I generally don't pay a lot of attention to the reviews, I'm still somewhat mystified by the one for The Tomb Raider Trilogy. You do know that both Legend and Anniversary had native Xbox 360 versions which are based on the same engine? After all, Anniversary was (and probly still is) available as DLC for Legend. It's rather obvious the PS3 ports are based on that tech and even slightly improved with mostly a more stable framerate. These games do look noticably more detailed than the PS2 versions, which makes the comparison to Prince of Persia (where this isn't really the case) a bit curious.

Also, while I understand the wish to have a "complete" Underground in the collection (I felt the samy way), the complaint about having to pay extra for the two DLC-levels is wrong: These aren't available on the PS3 and never have been, as they're Xbox-360-exklusive.
You're right about the Underworld levels being Xbox exclusive that's my fault and I'll hold my hands up. Doesn't change the fact that they should be on there and the general quality of the pack is amazingly lazy. And Legends looks absolutely disgusting, with bland textures and loads of glitchy effects. Again, this might not be the case on the Xbox original, but it certainly is on the PS3.

Ocarina of Time 3D is how you do a proper update of a classic, not these lazy conversions. We'll be paying attention to the recent bizarre Konami packs very closely...

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:16 pm

Another great issue, just got it a couple of days ago, wow what a cover -- I'm going to try to scrape some of that stuff off and stick it on some bricks and see if i can cash it in at my local bank. Looks brilliant. Loved the Mac article, I know nothing about Mac gaming so I really enjoyed reading about it, actually wish it was longer. Loved Iain's column, gave me a hearty laugh, I'm up to the Saturn feature and it looks great, the collector's format, a really nice new feature that works well. Still lots to go but so far loved it. Zelda Ive never been a fan of, just not my cup of tea but that's just me, might give it another shot though and see, I havent played it since the olden days where Mars Bars were still 20c at the canteen. Damn inflation, whats the deal now they're about $2 or something, ridiculous. I will complain.

CatherineMcClarey

Post by CatherineMcClarey » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:14 pm

Mayhem wrote:
RichL wrote:What happened to the death of the 8-bits article?
Darran's mentioned a few times it's been rescheduled for issue #92.
:( That article was the main reason I downloaded the iPad app for this mag (that and the expense of buying paper copies of Retro Gamer here in the USA). Guess I'll have to save up the pence to spring for a subscription to the digital edition (although, even at US$4.99/individual issue, the iPad downloads are cheaper than US$8.99/issue for paper copies from the bookseller).
Lacking that, the article on Westwood Studios was my favorite part of this issue (my spouse & I played a lot of their games back in the day, and my oldest discovered Dune II last year via DOSBox). I had absolutely no use for Legend of Zelda, but would have tolerated it with better grace if "Death of the 8-bits" had been there, too.
"Just one more turn . . .!"

108 Stars

Post by 108 Stars » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Wow, Pier Solar got 84%! :)

We´re very happy, thanks a lot from WM! :)

Black Tiger

Post by Black Tiger » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:44 am

Excellent work on the Sega Saturn Collector's Guide! Nice to see an article that celebrates the system and spotlights its quality software. My only criticism is missing any reference to its sister system the ST-V arcade board and no mention of Fighters Megamix & Exhumed :D

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:49 am

Knightmare: *whoooosh* (didn't appear on tv here)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:17 pm

NorthWay wrote:Knightmare: *whoooosh* (didn't appear on tv here)
You missed out mate. It was awesome.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:18 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:You missed out mate.
Maybe. RG definitely did though for all its readers that never has seen it (a situation most games in general does not end up in).

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:50 am

The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:59 am

Just picked my copy up, i love the front cover, i dont wanna touch it incase i get fingerprints on the gold! :lol:

Also noticed last week that ASDA had about 10 copy of it in there, never seen RG in one of there stores before, should pick a few new readers up i reckon especially as the front cover stands out above everything else!
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:30 am

TheNewMonkey wrote:Just picked my copy up, i love the front cover, i dont wanna touch it incase i get fingerprints on the gold! :lol:

Also noticed last week that ASDA had about 10 copy of it in there, never seen RG in one of there stores before, should pick a few new readers up i reckon especially as the front cover stands out above everything else!
Used to pick it up in Asda quite regularly probably around 4 or 5 years ago so it's definitely been in there before now...
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:52 am

NorthWay wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:You missed out mate.
Maybe. RG definitely did though for all its readers that never has seen it (a situation most games in general does not end up in).
Well, the article was about both the TV show and the spin-off games... Yes, in some ways it was aimed at fans of the TV series more than gamers, but then it's hard to take account of every different territory RG is read in when you are planning an article.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:30 am

merman wrote:Well, the article was about both the TV show and the spin-off games... Yes, in some ways it was aimed at fans of the TV series more than gamers, but then it's hard to take account of every different territory RG is read in when you are planning an article.
I actually wished the article had been more about the tv show than the games, but it was definitely interesting seeing what Treguard had to say, not seen any interviews before with anyone involved in that programme
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com