Issue 90 feedback thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Szczepaniak

Re: Issue 90 feedback thread

Post by Szczepaniak » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:35 am

Ahh, reading through the thread I see it's actually a Mac article by Cycle.

That's even better - while I've played a few DOS games via Dosbox (currently playing an incredible South Korean RPG for DOS), I have never even touched a Mac apart from at work. So any kind of introduction to the retro Mac scene is something I am dead keen on reading now. HELLS YEAH, BRING IT ON! :twisted:

On a side note, was there any mention of the unfairly maligned CDi Zelda games in the Zelda coverage? I am a fan after all.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:51 am

Szczepaniak wrote:Ahh, reading through the thread I see it's actually a Mac article by Cycle.

That's even better - while I've played a few DOS games via Dosbox (currently playing an incredible South Korean RPG for DOS), I have never even touched a Mac apart from at work. So any kind of introduction to the retro Mac scene is something I am dead keen on reading now. HELLS YEAH, BRING IT ON! :twisted:

On a side note, was there any mention of the unfairly maligned CDi Zelda games in the Zelda coverage? I am a fan after all.
There was.....they were Maligned in full.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:29 pm

FatTrucker wrote:There was.....they were Maligned in full.
:(

I should have pestered Darran to see if he'd reprint sections from my Making Of feature on them from issue 27.

The first two side scrollers were lovely games, with a distinct Metroidvania style of design, beautiful hand-painted backgrounds and catchy music. Such a shame to hear they're still being criticised.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:49 pm

Szczepaniak wrote:

I should have pestered Darran to see if he'd reprint sections from my Making Of feature on them from issue 27.

The first two side scrollers were lovely games, with a distinct Metroidvania style of design, beautiful hand-painted backgrounds and catchy music. Such a shame to hear they're still being criticised.
Actually mate, I might be talking b*ll*cks (happens to me a lot). I just had a flick through as I was going to scan the relevant stuff and post it for you and I can't find it. I've been reading through the Games™ bookazines again over the last week or so, and there's an outside chance I'm mixing it up with the coverage in one of those.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:23 pm

Ahh fair enough then, no worries. Thanks for going to the trouble to check. :)

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:48 pm

FatTrucker wrote:
Szczepaniak wrote:

Actually mate, I might be talking b*ll*cks (happens to me a lot). I just had a flick through as I was going to scan the relevant stuff and post it for you and I can't find it. I've been reading through the Games™ bookazines again over the last week or so, and there's an outside chance I'm mixing it up with the coverage in one of those.
kinda destroys any credability you're argument may have carried when you mix-up articles from different magazines....... :wink:
I liked the Zelda stuff. The rest didn't realy resonate with me. I actually had the knightmare boardgame back in the day. t'was pretty good as I recall. I do recall you had to hit a specific square (room) and make a certain dice roll (gain, IIRC) otherwise you were stuck going in circles.
Can't wait to see a DC, PS2 or SNES collecting guide though!

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:34 pm

CIH wrote:
kinda destroys any credability you're argument may have carried when you mix-up articles from different magazines....... :wink:
Was I making an argument? thought I responded to a question.....either way, like an oversized truck driving child I'm just going to facetiously mention 'credibility' and 'your' and move on. :D

raiz

Post by raiz » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:41 am

I think this has to be my favourite cover so far. I feel like Charlie with his chocolate factory ticket when I have it in my hand :)

Was always more a fan of Secret of Mana than Zelda, but it's interesting to read some of the Zelda history all the same. Really like the Knightmare article, I remember that very fondly from my childhood. It would be nice to see it reappear on the TV, although I don't know quite how they'd update it inline with the crazy graphical expectations of today.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:51 am

Not a massive amount to interest me this month, although reading the Mac stuff was interesting, as I knew nothing much about it. Just one of those months where the content just isn't for me so much.

However, I have to say, the cover is very very striking, almost makes up for the N64 cover :-)
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:47 pm

Read the OoT article on the train home. Nice to see not all the devs were gushing over it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

nesboy43

Post by nesboy43 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:59 pm

I am incredibly interested in reading this, Zelda is my favorite series, Ocarina is my favorite game, so when I read about this issue and that it was out I rushed out to my nearest Barnes and Nobles to pick up a copy, however they only had 5 issues of the Commodore 64 one. Im in USA California (west) and wanted to know how long it usually takes for these stores to get the issues after their release, is there another place I could buy it at? Thanks. How are you american gamers buying your copies?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:44 pm

Welcome to the forum nesboy43.

I would imagine the other Amercans subscribe - I'm sure a fellow US citizen will be along shortly with info on what they do!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:16 pm

Thought there was a special US subscription available?

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:31 pm

FatTrucker wrote:
CIH wrote:
Was I making an argument? thought I responded to a question.....either way, like an oversized truck driving child I'm just going to facetiously mention 'credibility' and 'your' and move on. :D
ha ha you got me there eh :wink:

but my point still stands lol

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:46 am

Just got to the end of issue 90 last night, standout moments for me this time round were:

A moment with Shaun Southern - short but sweet, it's great when a developer whose games you really admire turns out to be such a down-to-earth guy, loved the hilarious revelations from his past too.

Bluffer's Guide to Mac Gaming - I tend to get a lot out of Bluffer's Guide whether it's on a topic I'm familiar with or not but this was one of those occasions where I didn't know the piece in question was just exactly what I wanted to read until it was put in front of me. Note to self: put more trust in Darran and Stuart.

Minority Report - humour, variety, games you'll likely never hear of anywhere else and a superb read to boot.

Making of Crash Bandicoot - missed out on this when it was out but I reckon even devoted fans would have found this fresh and interesting. Fascinating back story sprinkled with interesting techy bits and more importantly it made me want to go and play the game.

Retrorevivals - World Games & Earnest Evans - always a pleasure to read Retrorevivals regardless of which games are under the spotlight with this month's eclectic entries making very good use of the format.

The Unconverted - great spread as usual, Bucky O'Hare being a classic example of all that's great about this feature, I mean if you saw this listed somewhere among a screed of other coin-ops you'd likely not give it a second glance based purely on it's name but a few cool screenshots and one pithy-write up later and you find yourself with a fun little blaster to track down. :)

Making of Rayman - I loved this, the passion of the dev really shone through and it made for a fine companion piece for the Crash Bandicoot feature, that '90s transition period where gaming hardware went from a slew of worthy contenders to an all-conquering few really seems to have been the bane of many a developer of the time.

Desert Island Disks, Ian Grieve - most amusing Desert Island Disks yet!, and that's with some seriously stiff competition over the last few years. Music can keep it's late '60s cool, gaming got the late '90s instead. Cheers to Mr Grieve for his part in that and cheers to Mr Drury for giving the man another 15 minutes. ;)

A highly enjoyable read as always. :D