Issue 90 feedback thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Misa

Re: Issue 90 feedback thread

Post by Misa » Sun May 29, 2011 12:59 pm

Spotted this in the shop because of shiny Zelda cover - didn't know about it until then, the shame of it! I flicked open a page and there was ToeJam and Earl, so of course I had to buy it.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sun May 29, 2011 5:14 pm

4am wrote:Alright if you like your Nintendo thick and fast, not my cup of tea though. I don't think it's an edition I'll be flicking through again.

To keep it topical, Shaun Southern could be Lionel Messi's old man.
In fairness, there isn't a speck of Nintendo in here other than the Zelda stuff, which is surely forgivable given the month that's in it.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

AndyR

Post by AndyR » Mon May 30, 2011 5:39 pm

BEST COVER EVER!!!

Honestly. Not only that - I took the mag into work and the cover attracted the attention of a few collegues and of course, we got talking about ye olde games and stuff. They didn't have a clue there was such a magazine available and are now going to buy / subscribe.

So, lets start talking commission...

(Keep up the brilliant work - the only magazine I've ever subscribed to and, truthfully, the only physical magazine I read now!)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon May 30, 2011 7:25 pm

The best thing about issue 90 is i'm in it :)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue May 31, 2011 7:41 am

AndyR wrote:BEST COVER EVER!!!

Honestly. Not only that - I took the mag into work and the cover attracted the attention of a few collegues and of course, we got talking about ye olde games and stuff. They didn't have a clue there was such a magazine available and are now going to buy / subscribe.

So, lets start talking commission...

(Keep up the brilliant work - the only magazine I've ever subscribed to and, truthfully, the only physical magazine I read now!)
Show me their sales receipts. Then we'll talk ;)

killert2010

Post by killert2010 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:31 am

OMG, the cover. Oh, the cover. It has to be the best RG cover ever hands down. Inside the Ocarina of Time coverage is excellent also. A fantastic issue overall. :D
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US YOU MISERABLE LITTLE PILE OF SECRETS

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue May 31, 2011 10:48 am

Misa wrote:Spotted this in the shop because of shiny Zelda cover.
Missed the cover because WH Smiths had placed PS3 magazines in front of Retro Gamer. After a frantic search of the shelves I finally found RG and then placed offending PS3 magazines elsewhere - RG now clearly visible and shiney! :D

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Tue May 31, 2011 1:05 pm

Well I've finished reading it. Having read every issue of RG ever made, I am sad to say this is comfortably the worst issue by a distance. I suppose the odd bad issue is inevitable but it's still a disapointment. Way too much Zelda in proportion to the rest of the mag. Oh well, hopefully next month will be more interesting :(

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue May 31, 2011 1:41 pm

i would have made it in to the mag but someone got my forum name wrong,it's in the desert island disks/readers' questions section i'm down as Hitman-Halpern. :evil: i mean seriously (deep breath)i'm more disappointed than angry.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:28 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:i would have made it in to the mag but someone got my forum name wrong,it's in the desert island disks/readers' questions section i'm down as Hitman-Halpern. :evil: i mean seriously (deep breath)i'm more disappointed than angry.
It could have been worse, they might have prefixed you with an 'S' ;)

Despite the Zelda coverage, I'm still finding plenty to read, so I'm pleasantly surprised given the negativity towards the issue.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue May 31, 2011 4:38 pm

fredghostmaster wrote:Well I've finished reading it. Having read every issue of RG ever made, I am sad to say this is comfortably the worst issue by a distance. I suppose the odd bad issue is inevitable but it's still a disapointment. Way too much Zelda in proportion to the rest of the mag. Oh well, hopefully next month will be more interesting :(
Bad as in what, badly written? Badly put together?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Tue May 31, 2011 6:19 pm

I don't expect every issue to cater to my exact needs. I actively enjoy reading about games / consoles I've never owned or played. I've played Zelda games in the past, it is a massive franchise no doubt, but to take up such a large part of the mag with it was a bad decision. I got bored about a third of the way through and felt like I had to read the rest of the articles rather than wanting to. Same for a lot of the other articles. Crash Bandicoot, ok game I suppose, not the most interesting game to write about. DOS gaming - didn't inspire any great memories in the way it should. Iain Lee, letters page - waste of space this month. Unconverted, normally love this but thought it was pretty uninspiring this time around. Even the Saturn article was dull, didn't add to my knowledge in any way and I loved my Saturn back in the day. I'm sure someone somewhere thought it was a brilliant issue but to me it gave the impression of just going through the motions somewhat. A lot of filler but no stand out articles. But as I say, I can forgive 1 below par issue out of 90.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:10 am

fredghostmaster wrote:I don't expect every issue to cater to my exact needs. I actively enjoy reading about games / consoles I've never owned or played. I've played Zelda games in the past, it is a massive franchise no doubt, but to take up such a large part of the mag with it was a bad decision. I got bored about a third of the way through and felt like I had to read the rest of the articles rather than wanting to. Same for a lot of the other articles. Crash Bandicoot, ok game I suppose, not the most interesting game to write about. DOS gaming - didn't inspire any great memories in the way it should. Iain Lee, letters page - waste of space this month. Unconverted, normally love this but thought it was pretty uninspiring this time around. Even the Saturn article was dull, didn't add to my knowledge in any way and I loved my Saturn back in the day. I'm sure someone somewhere thought it was a brilliant issue but to me it gave the impression of just going through the motions somewhat. A lot of filler but no stand out articles. But as I say, I can forgive 1 below par issue out of 90.
Ah so it's not a bad issue at all. It just doesn't have enough stuff you actually like. Well that's a shame, but not to be expected, no doubt a future issue will be able to warm your cockles.

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:16 am

fredghostmaster wrote:DOS gaming - didn't inspire any great memories in the way it should.
Is this a feature on DOS games? Sorry for the silly question, but I've not yet gotten a copy of issue 90 so am not sure what it is.

Must every article inspire great memories though? I was never a PC gamer during the golden DOS era, so such a feature would never be able to rekindle memories. But I've enjoyed in recent issues how there's been more DOS coverage (Diehard, Jill of the Jungle), and it's encouraged me to track down some of these games.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:27 am

Szczepaniak wrote:Must every article inspire great memories though? I was never a PC gamer during the golden DOS era, so such a feature would never be able to rekindle memories. But I've enjoyed in recent issues how there's been more DOS coverage (Diehard, Jill of the Jungle), and it's encouraged me to track down some of these games.
QFT - this is why I buy the magazine.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)