Issue 90 feedback thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Issue 90 feedback thread

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:24 pm

I tried running a general retro A-Z section when the magazine first re-launched. I liked it as it covered all aspects of retro, from TV shows to Chas and Dave. The response I got though made it quite clear that if I continued with it certain readers would have me head on a pitchfork. I never got past D :(

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:28 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I tried running a general retro A-Z section when the magazine first re-launched. I liked it as it covered all aspects of retro, from TV shows to Chas and Dave. The response I got though made it quite clear that if I continued with it certain readers would have me head on a pitchfork. I never got past D :(
Damn shame this happens every time the mag tries to deviate from videogames. It would be great to have a section with a broader reach to cover other retro stuff.

Mrs Trucker™ and I had our first dance to 'Ain't no pleasing You' by Chas and Dave when we got married. :D
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

fozmcfc

Post by fozmcfc » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Disappointed the demise of 8 bit gaming feature wasn't in, but hopefully moving it back to issue 92, might mean more time is spent on the article not that I'm saying it wouldn't have been any good.

Not a fan of Zelda, can't say I have ever played a Zelda game or indeed seen someone playing one. So a bit naughty but downloaded the required items to have a look at the first ever Zelda game and see if I get on with it.

Rest of the issue, basically as decent as ever, always several essential reads in addition to the regular features (letters, gaming reviews, Retrorated, Homebrew and back in time) and always one or two that may be worth a read articles which by the end I'm usually pleased I read them (macintosh gaming in particular this issue).

Only thing I never find myself reading is future classic, not that I'm saying it shouldn't be in Retro Gamer.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:01 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:Nice Paul Hogan impression :wink:

Not having a go mate but that makes me feel a little sad - if the "its all about the games" section is not the best bit for you then I guess I can understand why you might want retro tv in the mag. Don't get me wrong, I love everything 70s/80s retro from music to telly, from toys to movies to everything else - just don't think its for retro gamer magazine. A full on retro magazine would be great however!

Im also not convinced that the Off Topic, or should it be called "lets just now try and flog any old sh*t (including Glee tickets :roll: ) is the best bit here.
I am stuck in the past to be fair!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:06 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I tried running a general retro A-Z section when the magazine first re-launched. I liked it as it covered all aspects of retro, from TV shows to Chas and Dave. The response I got though made it quite clear that if I continued with it certain readers would have me head on a pitchfork. I never got past D :(
D for Dangermouse. Great idea, shame it never lasted :|
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

webding

Post by webding » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:36 am

Bring it back, it sounds good. Or at least, bring something like it back. Variety is never a bad thing, and if it was limited to just a two page spread, it's hardly the end if the world if people don't like it.

If it's seen as deviating too far from games themselves, then there must be some way to get tenuous links in there; it could even be a regular feature on how retro games and gaming has influenced or infiltrated something in mainstream culture, either then now.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:43 am

Retro telly has got a mention in the form of a Bad Influence article, maybe Gamesmaster and Games World will get a look-in at some point. I personally would prefer that any articles stuck to shows with a lot of computer/game based content rather than just general old TV shows we all remember.

It might also be fun to do a piece on the appearance of computers/consoles in famous film & TV - and how the sounds or the controller never match the action that is being portrayed...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:19 pm

webding wrote:Bring it back, it sounds good. Or at least, bring something like it back. Variety is never a bad thing, and if it was limited to just a two page spread, it's hardly the end if the world if people don't like it.
I wasnt one of them chasing Darran with a pitchfork but yeah i wasnt a fan of this. I want the mag to be about retro games not 'do you remember this show on BBC2 in 1984 ?' (And the forums quite good for that in 'blast from the past')

Want it to be about games not some nostalgic trip about radio/tv/fashion etc from the 80's

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:44 pm

Out of interest, why is this still pinned and the new feedback thread not? :wink:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0

Post by Steve Halfpenny Ver 2.0 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:25 am

Bizarrely, this is the only issue of RG I've ever missed... and now it's sold out everywhere! :cry:

That's typical that is. I guess a load of Zelda / Saturn freaks bought up every copy.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:34 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The response I got though made it quite clear that if I continued with it certain readers would have me head on a pitchfork
So even back then Matthew Lightbourne was active?
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs