Issue 90 feedback thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroENZO

Re: Issue 90 feedback thread

Post by RetroENZO » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:11 am

Yeah I was kind of hoping the article would be more about the TV show than the game as well. As big a fan as I was of the TV show (I even applied to go on it when I was younger), I felt the game was less interesting. Or even a retrospective of the whole franchise, even the gaming books that came out.

As for the Zelda article, my first reaction was "Zelda? Again?" and flicked past 20 uninteresting pages. And yes I have tried to play Zelda games in the past. Other than that though the issue was okay, just not one I'll be rushing back to read any time soon. Never mind, I'm sure the next issue will be better.
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:27 pm

I was a little disappointed at first that the article on the 1983 crash wasn't present, but when I saw that in its place was an article on the making of Knightmare it was pretty hard to hide my delight.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

kaiserspike

Post by kaiserspike » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:50 am

Happy to see an Apple related feature, promptly downloaded a port of "Marathon" and am currently blasting away. Never even heard of it! Thanks RG!
Destiny!.... you cannot destroy my destiny!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:03 pm

themightymartin wrote:I was a little disappointed at first that the article on the 1983 crash wasn't present, but when I saw that in its place was an article on the making of Knightmare it was pretty hard to hide my delight.
THERE IS NO ARTICLE ABOUT THE 1983 VIDEO GAME CRASH
There never has been (at least not until issue 100). The article is about why the 8-bit computers died out. It's nothing to do with 1983 or consoles like the Atari 2600. Needless to say you're going to be VERY DISAPPOINTED when you read issue 92.

It's still a great article, but it's not about the 1983 crash.

I hope this is cleared up now.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:03 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's still a great article, but it's not about the 1983 crash.

I hope this is cleared up now.
Weird, was there some confusion about that then? Never thought it was anything other than an article about the death of 8-bits, hence the 'from the forum' question that was worded the same. Very much looking forward to the article though.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:19 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:THERE IS NO ARTICLE ABOUT THE 1983 VIDEO GAME CRASH
There never has been (at least not until issue 100). The article is about why the 8-bit computers died out. It's nothing to do with 1983 or consoles like the Atari 2600. Needless to say you're going to be VERY DISAPPOINTED when you read issue 92.
I'm never disappointed with Retro Gamer, but I am often disappointed with my failing memory. Regardless, looking forward to the article
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Overlord44

Post by Overlord44 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:02 am

Has anyone else had problems finding this issue? I've looked in about 8 shops that sell magazines in 2 different towns over the last 2 weeks - 2 of which I know for a fact sell Retro Gamer, one of which I've bought it from for the last 6 months - and I've not seen a single copy of it, which worries me somewhat. Was it not distributed outside subscription this month?

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:37 am

Where are you? I've seen it all over Manchester.

Great Knightmare feature this month by the way, I loved that programme & it's got me wanting to watch it again. :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Overlord44

Post by Overlord44 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:40 am

West Berkshire, specifically the Newbury area. I even asked at the WHSmiths in Newbury and they said that they weren't aware of it being stopped coming in, but no-one had seen any....

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:46 am

RetroENZO wrote:Yeah I was kind of hoping the article would be more about the TV show than the game as well. As big a fan as I was of the TV show (I even applied to go on it when I was younger), I felt the game was less interesting. Or even a retrospective of the whole franchise, even the gaming books that came out.
Has it ever been suggested that there could be a section on Retro telly?? I know there is the Back To.... series, and RG is obviously a gaming magazine....BUT it is also a Retro magazine, you have a captive audience most of whom are interested in memories and thoughts from the 70s/80s/90s....in fact, memories of retro telly are often stronger than memories of retro gaming....dunno, just a thought.

You could always start with Jigsaw! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87NHueHB ... re=related
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:50 am

this was the mag for you, sadly folded in 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Zone
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:16 am

greenberet79 wrote:Has it ever been suggested that there could be a section on Retro telly?? .....and RG is obviously a gaming magazine....BUT it is also a Retro magazine........[/url]
Its a great big NO from me for that idea - I don't think its either gaming magazine or a retro magazine - its a magazine about retro gaming
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:17 am

jdanddiet wrote:this was the mag for you, sadly folded in 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Zone
Crikey, a whole magazine seems excessive! You'll be telling me that someone'll bring out a monthly magazine dedicated to old computer games next...
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:19 am

Bub&Bob wrote: I don't think its either gaming magazine or a retro magazine - its a magazine about retro gaming
Strewth.

Either way, the best bits on this forum are the Off Topic and Blast from the past sections.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:19 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote: I don't think its either gaming magazine or a retro magazine - its a magazine about retro gaming
Strewth.

Either way, the best bits on this forum are the Off Topic and Blast from the past sections.
Nice Paul Hogan impression :wink:

Not having a go mate but that makes me feel a little sad - if the "its all about the games" section is not the best bit for you then I guess I can understand why you might want retro tv in the mag. Don't get me wrong, I love everything 70s/80s retro from music to telly, from toys to movies to everything else - just don't think its for retro gamer magazine. A full on retro magazine would be great however!

Im also not convinced that the Off Topic, or should it be called "lets just now try and flog any old sh*t (including Glee tickets :roll: ) is the best bit here.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward