Issue 90 feedback thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rolan

Re: Issue 90 feedback thread

Post by rolan » Thu May 26, 2011 7:09 am

I liked the issue especially as one of my forum posts is in it fame at last! Like that it focuses on consoles a lot and the zelda and saturn articles are the obvious standouts although i wont be reading about ocarina of time as im playing it for the 1st time at the mo and dont want spoilers

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:40 pm

Saturn collection was great indeed.Another saturn very rare is the samsung model.Pic here- http://nfggames.com/games/grafx/samsat.htm

Crash bandicoot+Rayman article was interesting in the detail of difficulties in porting to the consoles.

Thanks for asking the saturn destruction derby 2 question :)
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu May 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Mr.Flibble still hasn't managed to feature in the pages of RG.

You really don't want to make him angry... well , even more angry than he already is.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu May 26, 2011 6:19 pm

Oh wow, TBH I wasnt going to bother this month but I have to see it now.

goonergaz

Post by goonergaz » Fri May 27, 2011 6:23 am

Love the cover (I'm no Zelda fan - but you can't beat a bit of bling! :D)

I don't get the Crash 'non-love' - I was fortunate enough to play the game before most had even heard of it (including the press). A Sony rep visited my store with a test PS1 and a wallet full of games, we retreated to the back for a couple of hours of "game testing" - only 2 stood out that day, F1 (which was amazing) and Crash Bandicoot - which I thought was really nice and played really well.

I recorded the gameplay that day and put together a 'highlights' to show in the shop, it gain quite a bit of interest (although nothing like the F1 footage which often gathered crowds during lunch breaks!) - I still think it's a great game, easy to pick up and play and with some impressive gfx for the time.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Fri May 27, 2011 7:16 am

Still waiting on Darran's monthly "flick-thorough" video on YouTube. Since I'm in the US, I use that to tide me over until the actual magazine arrives. Still nothing on his YouTube page (been checking every day). :(
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Fri May 27, 2011 7:38 am

Happy to see people enjoyed the Mac article!
Opa-Opa wrote: Not interested in anything Apple have ever made, ever! the Mac is and always will be a pile of tosh for gaming and there is nothing that is worth playing on it. If you want try out the games mentioned try them on other systems where they are far better. The Amiga version of Shufflepuck Cafe being a great example of this..
I wasn't trying to boast one version of a game over another, but point out what the Mac has done for gaming. Shufflepuck Cafe originated on it primarily thanks to the included mouse, for example, and by extension we may never have gotten an Amiga version (or the game at all) if it wasn't for the Mac!

I also mention games that were only released on the Mac and thus couldn't be played on any other system (excluding emulation). There are also quite a few games where the Mac version is superior to all others, such as Cliff Johnson's At The Carnival.

I also even admit that the Mac was never strong in the gaming category compared to other systems but the aim of the article was to point out that there were indeed games on the Mac (despite popular belief), including many fantastic ones and even a few important ones.

Thanks for the feedback!

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Fri May 27, 2011 9:05 am

Jet Pilot wrote:Still waiting on Darran's monthly "flick-thorough" video on YouTube. Since I'm in the US, I use that to tide me over until the actual magazine arrives. Still nothing on his YouTube page (been checking every day). :(
same here, due to the incredibly slow shipping in Europe (seriously, I didn't know a package could take this long within Europe before subscribing...) I use the same tactic ;)

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Fri May 27, 2011 7:09 pm

I must be a minority as I tend to enjoy reading anything about gaming.

It doesnt matter if I dont have a certain machine or dont even enjoy a certain genre, I still enjoy reading about the world of videogaming - that could also be stories about the programmers etc.

I dont understand people who play retro games and slate certain machines or genres just because they are featured in the magazine.

I personally hate certain games such as Final Fantasy and rpgs in general, but it is still interesting to read about them.

Like everything in life, certain things are better than other things, but no one will EVER agree on one game being the best (one of my worst is easily someone elses best) and that is the point - dont get too worried about it.

Have a drink or some sex and chill out and if you dont fancy reading a certain article, then get hold of the bottom right hand corner of the right hand side page and lift it slowly and carefully towards the bottom left corner of the left page and move on to the next page...

Moany twats

Keep up the good work retro gamer team - I for one will continue to buy and add to my full collection of the best games mag there has been.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri May 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Well, I read the Zelda bit today (as I said I probably would!

Quite enjoyable - but still doesn't make me want to play them! Glad I read it though.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Fri May 27, 2011 8:04 pm

This press release ...

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressrele ... _issue.php

... seems to indicate that this issue involved some sort of involvement by Nintendo, probably to promote the release of OoT on the 3DS.

The result is a pretty good issue (if you're a Zelda fan) that's obviously worked out well for both RG and Nintendo.
Are we going to see more of this sort of thing now and again? There's some decent retro heavy hitters looking to do the relaunch/remake/re-issue thing out there these days. Specials of the same quality as 90 would be instant buys for me if the game or franchise is right.

SinclairStrange

Post by SinclairStrange » Sat May 28, 2011 3:06 am

Well I've not being active due to lack of internet and moving house, but now I can pop on and say, this issue was truely epic. Loving it all, read it about twice now =).

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sat May 28, 2011 4:23 am

Haven't read everything yet, but between Zelda this month and Sonic next month I'm pretty ably catered for. The Zelda stuff is particularly nicely done. I never got into the Crash Bandicoot games - not sure if I've even played one - but I've always been fascinated by him, as an intended Playstation rival to Sonic and Mario.

Love the cover. Reminds me of an Arthur C. Clarke short story where a football team printed match programmes with a cover like that and used the glare to incinerate a crooked referee....
It's called a MEGADRIVE

4am

Post by 4am » Sat May 28, 2011 8:52 am

Alright if you like your Nintendo thick and fast, not my cup of tea though. I don't think it's an edition I'll be flicking through again.

To keep it topical, Shaun Southern could be Lionel Messi's old man.

northern_gooner

Post by northern_gooner » Sat May 28, 2011 6:02 pm

Overall I think its a good issue. Loved the saturn feature but found this guide more helpful http://www.segasaturn.co.uk/games/sega_ ... guide.html (might help I compiled it LOL). Anyway great work keep it up.
My Sega collection, needs & trades :
http://www.freewebs.com/northern-gooner/