Issue 90 feedback thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

neuromancer

Re: Issue 90 feedback thread

Post by neuromancer » Tue May 24, 2011 10:02 am

ipmarks wrote: Finally have already read Neuromancers review of Virtua Fighter, and really enjoyed it... it easily deserved inclusion in the mag. Will read more and maybe post more later - I may even change my mind about some articles.
Cheers IPMarks - it was a real surprise (and pleasure) to find my review published this month - it's two and a half years since I wrote that one.

Thanks to the RG team for getting my prose into print once again (and for using the frame of my forum animated gif with Rex in it!)

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Tue May 24, 2011 10:10 am

ChipTune wrote:...the review of Virtua Fighter by some random was very pretentious..
Can't please them all though :lol:

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue May 24, 2011 12:10 pm

FAO Iain Lee...

Can you talk anymore about the videogame channel you are working on that you mentioned?

Sky / Cable?? Any idea of launch date? Is it even for the UK?

Cheers!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue May 24, 2011 12:59 pm

merman wrote:Well, finished reading the issue myself. Really enjoyed the Minority Report feature and the Bluffer's Guide to Mac Gaming. The Saturn Collector's Guide was very good, and Mike Bevan did a great job on the From the Archives piece.
I think we enjoyed the same bits exactly!

Nice cover, but Zelda's not a passion of mine. Think perhaps a few too many pages on one topic - but let's go down that road again.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Tue May 24, 2011 4:30 pm

Got home for lunch yesterday and found the latest issue laying down on the mat courtesy of mr postie :)

A good issue! Nice cover (even though it's been done before). Have yet to read any of the Zelda articles, but this has already made me think about getting out my N64 and firing up Ocarina of Time as I haven't really put much time into that game. In fact, the only Zelda game I've put any real time and effort in is Twilight Princess on the Wii.

Anyway, back to rating the issue. Lots of nice little features, but the one that really stood out for me was the Knightmare one. Totally didn't expect that! It was (and still is) one of the best telly programs ever. Have watched them all, and was quite sad when the last episode finished :(

BTW sorry if I've been gone a long time guys. I've had a few family issues to deal with and now my computers been sent off to be repaired (faulty internal disc drive again). Am typing this up on my iPhone. Hopefully I'll get it back soon.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

merman

Post by merman » Wed May 25, 2011 7:31 am

jdanddiet wrote: Merman's Knightmare article was very good, although it sometimes got a bit confusing all the people he was interviewing! Presumably screenshots of the actual program were hard to come by or not possible.
While the article was in development, I was working with David Rowe to get original artwork from the series into the article. So, the background pieces on the four pages are the ACTUAL paintings that were turned into 3D for the show. Other features including the Helmet of Justice and the skull creature are from David's artwork for the spin-off gamebooks.

The quality of screengrabs from the TV series I had available were very low. I did provide quite a few more shots to the designer, so watch out for a DVD extras thread...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed May 25, 2011 7:41 am

For me this issue is extremly well made but very poor in content..
Zelda has been done to death, even the cover is a copy of another issue...
I personaly think the games are very dull to look at and boring to play. The only one I liked was Wind Waker on the cube and everyone else seems to hate it, even though it's the only one with any kind style or charm..

Not interested in anything Apple have ever made, ever! the Mac is and always will be a pile of tosh for gaming and there is nothing that is worth playing on it. If you want try out the games mentioned try them on other systems where they are far better. The Amiga version of Shufflepuck Cafe being a great example of this..

The Saturn is a waste of space in anyones collection and again it has nothing on it that's really worth bothering with. I'm still pleased to see the Collector's guide concentrating on the UK release rather than import stuff though and glad we have this feature still. I'm looking foward to seeing what comes next as previous features in this series have been fantastic.

Rayman is just brightly coloured, toffee apple tosh made to make parents part with their cash upon the release of a new console and is nothing more than a below par platform game that offers nothing the likes of Chuck Rock or ZooL haven't already shown us.

Hopefull there will be more next month to enjoy but maybe I have just been spoilt over the last few issues which were stuffed full of fantastic and interesting features.
As has been said before in this thread, if I were not a subscriber I wouldn't have bothered picking this issue up..

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed May 25, 2011 11:01 am

Opa-Opa wrote:Not interested in anything Apple have ever made, ever! the Mac is and always will be a pile of tosh for gaming and there is nothing that is worth playing on it. If you want try out the games mentioned try them on other systems where they are far better. The Amiga version of Shufflepuck Cafe being a great example of this..
I agree that it was brave to do another Mac gaming feature, although there is enough history/interest there to warrant it. But I hugely disagree regarding Shufflepuck Cafe—the Mac version's where it's at, bringing something none of the other versions quite managed to match (like Dropzone on the A8 or Skool Daze on the Speccy).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed May 25, 2011 11:21 am

Well I can certainly live with people not liking an issue because it doesn't contain stuff they personally like. If it was due to the content being poorly written or researched then I'd have cause for concern. You know Retro Gamer though. A complainer one month will love the issue a month later, it's an exciting lottery for everyone :)

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed May 25, 2011 11:35 am

my friend Richie - who is a serial reader of MY copy (boo hish) - actually buys the magazines when it's had a bit of Mac content. Horses for courses and other cliches etc...

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:17 pm

I for one would love to read more about Mac gaming, to be honest I don't know too much about it, we had Macs at school but play a game and they would break your arms.

RichL

Post by RichL » Wed May 25, 2011 1:25 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Well I can certainly live with people not liking an issue because it doesn't contain stuff they personally like.
Yeah but Daz (may I call you Daz?!) What pray tell happened to the death of the 8 bits article promised last month?

Well, not promised, you know what I mean.

I was looking forward to that way more than pages upon pages of Zelda...

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed May 25, 2011 3:02 pm

RichL wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Well I can certainly live with people not liking an issue because it doesn't contain stuff they personally like.
Yeah but Daz (may I call you Daz?!) What pray tell happened to the death of the 8 bits article promised last month?

Well, not promised, you know what I mean.

I was looking forward to that way more than pages upon pages of Zelda...
Its been bumped to issue #92.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed May 25, 2011 6:42 pm

RichL wrote:FAO Iain Lee...

Can you talk anymore about the videogame channel you are working on that you mentioned?

Sky / Cable?? Any idea of launch date? Is it even for the UK?

Cheers!
That could be Ginx TV, he did a retro related bit for one of their programmes The Blurb I think the channel is online only at the min but I'm sure they are launching on Sky at some point.

RichL

Post by RichL » Thu May 26, 2011 1:10 am

^^
Thanks both for the info.

8)