Issue 89 Feedback thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
Welly
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:50 am

Re: Issue 89 Feedback thread

Post by Welly » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:05 am

Really strong issue this month! Loved looking over the images of Starquake, particularly the map! Wasn't aware when i played it years ago just how huge the game was!

Liked the Gaiden piece - but i couldn't help think it might've been better put on hold until you were able to get the Dino Crisis and GBA version images from the guys at M4, would've added a whole new layer to the story! Aside from that i enjoyed it though, hope for a release on the 3DS shop now!

User avatar
Garry
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 12:49 pm
Location: Balmora
Contact:

Re: Issue 89 Feedback thread

Post by Garry » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:01 am

Picked it up yesterday and have barely put it down, great issue.
Finally some proper C64 love, the 4 pages of games and game boxes were excellent. sometimes the the box and the stuff inside had to be entertaining as you waited for ages for a game to load! plus i'd never seen the mercenary boxset before. Only thing though, i didnt like the list of games you need to own,who wants to see a list of games?? i would have much rathered a return from the '...and all the rest' two page spread of screenshots
It was nice to see the making of Resident Evil Gaiden, as handheld stuff tends to get overlooked, and it is a good game. No mention of the bug that resets your game on the final boss and wipes your save tho??
Image

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6475
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: Issue 89 Feedback thread

Post by merman » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:11 am

I'm looking forward to Martin Carroll's article in the next issue... is he related to the former RG editor Martyn? :D

Actually, I'm REALLY looking forward to issue 90 to see how my next article looks on the printed page...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

bounty bob
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Caverns Of Mars

Re: Issue 89 Feedback thread

Post by bounty bob » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:07 am

Enjoyed this issue but not in the fave list. I liked the articles on starquake, broderbond and loved the stuff on C64. I now have the bank holiday weekend to get the Comadore emulator working and going to play some of those games I missed out on.

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6761
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Issue 89 Feedback thread

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:17 am

merman wrote:I'm looking forward to Martin Carroll's article in the next issue... is he related to the former RG editor Martyn? :D
You'll have to wait a few issues I'm afraid. It's been pushed back to issue 92
Image

User avatar
necronom
Posts: 5648
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:23 pm
Location: Middlesbrough

Re: Issue 89 Feedback thread

Post by necronom » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:33 am

I've just started it, and I'm looking forward to the C64 parts, but I have to object to the Amiga versions of Strider being called "a pile of stink", and Rolling Thunder called "such ar$e". I played those a lot and thought they were excellent versions. When eventually I played them on MAME, they didn't seem much different from what I remembered on the Amiga.
Image
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

User avatar
AlleyKat
Posts: 1812
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:18 am
Location: Boss Rush

Re: Issue 89 Feedback thread

Post by AlleyKat » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:01 am

Hmmmm. Maybe you need to play them again? I doubt you'd have found the amiga versions acceptable if you'd played the coin ops first.

Strider arcade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJkCfNAIiOg

Strider amiga:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaTxpPIW1C4

There are some excellent coin op conversions on the amiga. Strider is not one of them- its very obviously another one of Tiertex's lazy ST ports and was a missed opportunity.

Rolling Thunder is even worse if anything.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

User avatar
necronom
Posts: 5648
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:23 pm
Location: Middlesbrough

Re: Issue 89 Feedback thread

Post by necronom » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:43 am

AlleyKat wrote:Hmmmm. Maybe you need to play them again? I doubt you'd have found the amiga versions acceptable if you'd played the coin ops first.
You are right, I would have thought Strider was way too slow if I'd played the Arcade version first (not sure about RT), but taken on its own merits without comparison to anything else I thought both games were a lot of fun.
Image
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Spacegamer
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:59 pm
Location: Outerspace

Re: Issue 89 Feedback thread

Post by Spacegamer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:37 am

Damn good issue, really enjoying the collector guides. Bit of shame you did do anything on the home conversions of Streetfighter and nice to see future classics covering other format for once.
Ship computer calling bomb#20 you're out of the bomb bay again.

User avatar
AlleyKat
Posts: 1812
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:18 am
Location: Boss Rush

Re: Issue 89 Feedback thread

Post by AlleyKat » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:29 am

necronom wrote:
AlleyKat wrote:Hmmmm. Maybe you need to play them again? I doubt you'd have found the amiga versions acceptable if you'd played the coin ops first.
You are right, I would have thought Strider was way too slow if I'd played the Arcade version first (not sure about RT), but taken on its own merits without comparison to anything else I thought both games were a lot of fun.
If you want to experience the effect in reverse, check out arcade Silkworm next to the amiga version. The Sales Curve managed to make the conversion a real improvement- slightly smaller sprites, but a punchier more playable game somehow. Amazing sound fx as well. :)
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

User avatar
mike_nz
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Issue 89 Feedback thread

Post by mike_nz » Mon May 02, 2011 4:00 am

AlleyKat wrote:
necronom wrote:
AlleyKat wrote:Hmmmm. Maybe you need to play them again? I doubt you'd have found the amiga versions acceptable if you'd played the coin ops first.
You are right, I would have thought Strider was way too slow if I'd played the Arcade version first (not sure about RT), but taken on its own merits without comparison to anything else I thought both games were a lot of fun.
If you want to experience the effect in reverse, check out arcade Silkworm next to the amiga version. The Sales Curve managed to make the conversion a real improvement- slightly smaller sprites, but a punchier more playable game somehow. Amazing sound fx as well. :)
Or check out Green Beret on the C64.
I always thought this game played better (and was more of a challenge) on the C64. Always seemed smoother somehow.
Possibly because the Coin-Op played at 30fps? vs 50fps on the C64?

User avatar
hydr0x
Posts: 2164
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:31 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Issue 89 Feedback thread

Post by hydr0x » Mon May 02, 2011 9:42 am

Have any international subs already received their mag? Mine still hasn't shown up, which can only be called ridiculously slow. I'm appalled by the horrible delivery times every single month . I really don't think that's a good way to treat subscribers, especially as we pay A LOT of extra money compared to UK subs. It does NOT take two weeks to ship something from the UK to Germany. And if you can't get faster shipping organized, then at least ship the international ones first. I have a strong suspicion our mags are shipped after the UK subs. If you'd ship ours a day or two before those that'd at least take away some of the frustration. By the time we receive our sub copies Darran's close to showing the next issue on YouTube...
Image

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26843
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Issue 89 Feedback thread

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:43 am

May I suggest the alternate solution: You move to the UK?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Kai
Posts: 682
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:19 am
Location: Kiel, Germany

Re: Issue 89 Feedback thread

Post by Kai » Mon May 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Fantastic cover, guys! What a brilliant idea to feature all those different characters from the different C64 games!

- I loved the "Collector's Guide" (again)! It's a great feature, and you can actually feel the C64 love.

- Great mix of themes, with Ridge Racer, Street Fighter II, Resident Evil Gaiden, Pirate Adventure and Starquake all in one issue. Hey, I don't even know those last two ones but I love the variety.

- As I said last month, the "Minority Report" is also a great new addition.

- The only bummer: I'm not in the mag, again. :-/ (But you can improve on that one! ;-) )
Image

User avatar
Kai
Posts: 682
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:19 am
Location: Kiel, Germany

Re: Issue 89 Feedback thread

Post by Kai » Mon May 02, 2011 2:38 pm

hydr0x wrote:Have any international subs already received their mag? Mine still hasn't shown up, which can only be called ridiculously slow. I'm appalled by the horrible delivery times every single month . I really don't think that's a good way to treat subscribers, especially as we pay A LOT of extra money compared to UK subs. It does NOT take two weeks to ship something from the UK to Germany. And if you can't get faster shipping organized, then at least ship the international ones first. I have a strong suspicion our mags are shipped after the UK subs. If you'd ship ours a day or two before those that'd at least take away some of the frustration. By the time we receive our sub copies Darran's close to showing the next issue on YouTube...
I experienced the same slow delivery times and it can get kinda annoying (Maybe they should TRAIN it instead of SHIPping it :mrgreen: ). But I really appreciate how good (ie new) the mag looks when it arrives. In the old RG days, issues arrived in very bad condition. That changed with #19. :-)

A reason why it may take so long might be that the mag is distributed via smaller delivery companies (in my case: Nordbrief) instead of DHL or UPS. I had to cancel my sub simply because the company wasn't able to guarantee a monthly delivery (there were some months where I didn't receive the mag). I really have to thank the RG (subs) staff for always being helpful in these (rare) cases.
The downside of the cancellation is that I now pay 13,20 EUR for each issue at my local station bookstall (that's a whopping 11.71 GBP, my dear UK friends), which must be considerably higher than your subscription price. But it's worth every penny! :mrgreen:
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest