Issue 89 Feedback thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mayhem

Re: Issue 89 Feedback thread

Post by Mayhem » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:39 pm

debit wrote:Wonderful to see Mayhem on a magazine cover after so many years.
But I'm not on the magazine cov... oh... you mean the game character! ;)
paranoid marvin wrote:A little suprised to see The Sentinel make it to the No.1 slot for 'Top 5 games to play'. I wonder how many people's top 10 it would make? I guess it's personal preference, but I'm surprised that Buggy Boy and/or Rainbow Islands didnt make the top 10 - with Ghosts n Goblins not even making the long list!
The lists are not really "in order", well I didn't write it as such, they were just ten (down from fifteen) games you should play on the machine. I just picked the five with the best packaging imo from that. I had to get the Last Ninja 2 limited edition in there as well, bring back some memories for people!

The long list was originally 250 strong before a decision was made to chop it to merely 100. There were quite a few arcade conversions listed and I didn't want them to have such a strong showing because face it, if you want to play arcade machines how they were, you fire up MAME. So I deliberately only kept in the ones that were either stunning (Bubble Bubble) and/or better than the arcade itself (Wizard of Wor, Buggy Boy). This resulted in games such as Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Alien Syndrome, and Cabal getting chopped. Let me tell you, doing the cull down to 100 was one of the hardest things I've had to do decision wise! :P
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:45 pm

Not had a huge chance to read much of it - busy at work (and Easter) but have read the C64 bit and it is excellent. Never heard of some of those games!

I assume Darran used my C64 and C64c for the photo's ??

Next bit to read is the Broderbund section - I love Broderbund games :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:39 pm

It credits Mark Ambrose so if that's you, then your photos were used ;)

I'm sure myself or certain other folks can enlighten you regarding any of the C64 games you may not have heard of heh...

Now I have the issue in front of me, I can see the original list of 250 games was used after all. C'est la vie, like I'm complaining heh. But to go back to the previous point, Ghosts 'n Goblins is a decent game but not that great a conversion in the scheme of things; only four levels, not even in the right order. Music is great (or grate depending on opinion) mind you...

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:27 pm

Btw what happened with the printing on page 106? :?

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Mayhem wrote:Btw what happened with the printing on page 106? :?
I've just checked mine and page 106 (From the Forum) is perfect. You must have got a badly printed one.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:08 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Excellent article by Paul Davies this month. He's right about watching the masters play, love that Daigo clip, seen it loads, but by fave is watching Sandy Ravage play COD.....not retro I know but absolutely unbelievable.
I've just watched a YouTube video of the two people playing Street Fighter. I guess you have to be a fan of the game (I don't like it at all), as I just saw two people playing a Street Fighter game. I remember seeing a Japanese person playing a Shoot-em-up once which impressed me a lot, but the fighting didn't look much different to me playing the computer (and I just randomly waggle the joystick and press fire to do a move on the very few times I've played it). I take it that these were two well known players in the SF tournament? It seemed quite evenly matched though I was surprised that some comments said one of them easily beat the other :? I thought the girl was going to win until near the end.

Anyway, which video do I look for for the CoD clip. I did a search and found loads. I might understand what's good about that one, as I've played the games and know what they are like.
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:17 pm

necronom wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Excellent article by Paul Davies this month. He's right about watching the masters play, love that Daigo clip, seen it loads, but by fave is watching Sandy Ravage play COD.....not retro I know but absolutely unbelievable.
I've just watched a YouTube video of the two people playing Street Fighter. I guess you have to be a fan of the game (I don't like it at all), as I just saw two people playing a Street Fighter game
If you've ever played Street Fighter III: Third Strike and knew how hard it is to parry consistantly, let alone to that level then you wouldn't say that ;). It's easily one of the most impressive gaming feats I've ever seen.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:35 pm

necronom wrote:I've just checked mine and page 106 (From the Forum) is perfect. You must have got a badly printed one.
Two badly printed ones (same flaw, a massive dark patch running vertically through the page), which is why I figured I'd enquire if anyone else has an issue with the same problem.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:21 pm

necronom wrote:
I've just watched a YouTube video of the two people playing Street Fighter. I guess you have to be a fan of the game (I don't like it at all), as I just saw two people playing a Street Fighter game. I remember seeing a Japanese person playing a Shoot-em-up once which impressed me a lot, but the fighting didn't look much different to me playing the computer (and I just randomly waggle the joystick and press fire to do a move on the very few times I've played it). I take it that these were two well known players in the SF tournament? It seemed quite evenly matched though I was surprised that some comments said one of them easily beat the other :? I thought the girl was going to win until near the end.

Anyway, which video do I look for for the CoD clip. I did a search and found loads. I might understand what's good about that one, as I've played the games and know what they are like.
Impossible to pick one clip for Sandy Ravage, one of the best FPS players I have ever seen - and the certainly the best to watch due to his amazing run n gun (usually with a shotgun!!!!) style.

This is a good collection of his style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3zFWBjXQOQ

and his Booster Justice videos are ace (for all the players like me who hated the cheating boosters on MW2)

just check his channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSandyRavage

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:36 pm

Mayhem wrote:It credits Mark Ambrose so if that's you, then your photos were used ;)

I'm sure myself or certain other folks can enlighten you regarding any of the C64 games you may not have heard of heh...

Now I have the issue in front of me, I can see the original list of 250 games was used after all. C'est la vie, like I'm complaining heh. But to go back to the previous point, Ghosts 'n Goblins is a decent game but not that great a conversion in the scheme of things; only four levels, not even in the right order. Music is great (or grate depending on opinion) mind you...
:shock:
How did I miss that? I'll have another read then :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:25 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote: Impossible to pick one clip for Sandy Ravage, one of the best FPS players I have ever seen - and the certainly the best to watch due to his amazing run n gun (usually with a shotgun!!!!) style.

This is a good collection of his style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3zFWBjXQOQ

and his Booster Justice videos are ace (for all the players like me who hated the cheating boosters on MW2)

just check his channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSandyRavage
:shock: Now that's impressive!

He's one of those annoying people who shoots me with one shot and kills me, and I'm spraying bullets all over other people for about 3 seconds and they still don't die.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:49 am

Another great issue with only 2 minor drawbacks..
1. Far too much Street Fighter II - The page with the "rogues gallery" for instance is just a waste of a page IMO..
2. Not enough Wizzball or Samurai Warrior - The battles of Usagi Yojimbo for a C64 based issue.

I have to agree that Sential probably isn't in many peoples top 10 must play lists, let alone a top 5 when really amazing games that MUST!! be played on the C64 don't even get a look in..

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:58 am

Problem is, everyone has a different idea of what the 'must play' games are on any system. I've not seen the issue yet, but posts above suggest a Last Ninja game is included—none of those would get anywhere near my top-ten. In the end, writers just have to try and combine their favourites, from both subjective and objective viewpoints, and hope they don't censored too many people off.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:29 am

Guys, congrats on possibly the best issue to date imo. Of course it helps when you've included articles on some of my personal favourites such as SF2, Ridge Racer & created an interest in RE Gaiden. The C64 collectors item was excellent & has got me quite interested in finding out more. As a self confessed Speccy lover you can only be commended. Well done, good stuff! :D
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:36 am

Not got the issue yet, but watched the preview on Youtube...Looks really good, especially the Starquake section! And loving the game-maps...very retro! :)
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!