From the Forum Issue 90

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

kelp7

Re: From the Forum Issue 90

Post by kelp7 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:29 pm

When I first saw an Amiga running Starglider 2. The exact moment was when the person playing switched to the 'outside view' of your ship and you could hear the amazing sound of the engine. Goodbye C64!
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:56 pm

When Crash stuck a cassette on the front of the mag and became a glorified leaflet :(

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:06 pm

Probably sometime late in 1992, as software houses were reluctant to look at new Spectrum software. I knew the game was finally up the following year when Your Sinclair telephoned to say they wouldn't be publishing any more cover tape games as the magazine was closing. Once the magazine stopped it looked like there was no way of distributing new games to Spectrum owners. If this fate could befall the once all-conquering Spectrum, the writing ultimately had to be on the wall for the other 8 bits as well. 16 bit machines and consoles were the future, it seemed.
No longer part of the Spectrum scene but still supporting Multi-Platform Arcade Game Designer over at https://jonathan-cauldwell.itch.io/
I am not on Twitter.

sdaonline

Post by sdaonline » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:18 pm

When Mayhem in Monsterland came out - nothing much else came out after it!

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:29 pm

When I upgraded to an Amiga and gave my Spectrum away, considering it to be surplus to requirements. I now own 14 ZX Spectrums.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

William S

Post by William S » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:35 pm

When I sold my C64 to buy SNES games.
ImageImageImage

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:55 pm

the_hawk wrote:Although to me they never died really, there were 2 moments when I realised they were being superseded. The first was when Crash became no more than a pamphlet & the second was when I played Castle of Illusion on my mate's imported Megadrive.
Similar to this minus the Crash moment as I'd stopped buying it well before.

I'd ignored the NES/Master System to continue plugging away on my Spectrum.
However, once I saw Sonic & Castle of Illusion I knew it was time to move on.

Although to be fair I'm going to flog the Megadrive but never the Spectrum. :)

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:00 pm

I didn't really see the 8-bits die as I moved to the Amiga in September 1987 and lost touch with the 8-bits. I'm surprised at how long they kept going after I got my Amiga.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:03 pm

The C64 was my life! But I always kept a close eye on these 16bit monsters that were coming to join the party. I think it was late in 1988 that my Aunt asked if I still had my C64, and that she wanted to buy it for my cousin........ and so my calculations started. I had HUNDREDS of original games, thousands of ummm back-ups and other bits n bobs - this was a chance to take a leap of faith with Commodore!
I sold my C64 and had enough to buy an Amiga 500 and a copy of Nigel Mansell's Grand Prix............ I was Happy :D and I was also very very sad :(

I now have the C64 and Amiga so all's well that ends well :mrgreen:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

NES4Life

Post by NES4Life » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:04 pm

It's got to be Cannon Fodder on the Amiga that made me stray from the NES. The mouse was a revolution in control for me and it had one killer theme tune that I can still recall today: altogether now... 'War, never been so much fun...." :D
> > > > > > P

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:35 pm

When my brother's mate brought round his ST and showed off New Zealand Story and Blood Money - I could see the writing was on the wall for my beloved Speccy.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:46 pm

When the girl over the road got a Megadrive and Sonic 1 for her birthday and all I had was Teddy Boy on the Mastersystem.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Rather late in the game. 93-94? Zzap was very thin on new games and lots of old and budget stuff were pushed as content to fill the pages.

When every new games becomes "so fantastic" you know they are hyping up the content to justify their own existence. The Amiga had the same symptom later.

webding

Post by webding » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:07 pm

First, Commodore User disappeared. Well, it probably subtly changed its name and went all Amiga, but I was too young to cotton onto that, so switched to Zzap, and the corpse carried on twitching for a while. But when that went too, I realised the C64 was dead, and nobody could even be bothered to go to the funeral.

I was too poor for an Amiga (400 quid? It still seems ridiculous now), so I asked for a GameBoy that first Christmas it came out, and entered the world of console gaming. The 8-bit was dead. Long live the smaller 8-bit.

thl

Post by thl » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:20 pm

The arrival of the SNES and Amiga 1200 had myself drawn into Street Fighter II, Super Mario World and Zool. Did played the Master System on few occasions until technical problem ocurred as the machine wouldn't turn on. Noticed that it stop working, I have to turn my attention to the 16-bit era.