From the Forum Issue 90

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Chinnico

Re: From the Forum Issue 90

Post by Chinnico » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:37 pm

I really didn't realise the difference untill quite late. Actually when I went through C64 to Amiga 500 in 1988, for me it was just another transition to a 'better system', just as the previous ones from Atari VCS to Coleco to C64 had been like. Then the italian edition of Zzap! (which at the time had become a completely italian magazine) was joined in the newsstand by it's 16-bit counterpart The Games Machine (yep, italian edition too - btw, the magazine still endures to this very day, even as a shadow of it's former self, despite all the efforts). Also Sega started its barrage of 16-bit themed ads for the Mega Drive (or Mega Djaive, as for the italian ad pronounciation!). So I started to think: "ehy! Cool! I've a 16-bit machine! So.. why do I want that conversion of R-Type on the PC-Engine soooooo badly???". :D

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:47 am

When Amstrad Action offered "Blue Brothers" on the covertape. I thought "something's not right, this game isn't all that old". That was the point I realised it was winding down.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Seeing Xenon on the Atari ST.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:46 pm

When Zzap! started looking like a children's comic and there was nothing but reviews of re-releases and lots of in-fighting between the writers.. you knew that when Paul Glancey had had enough and jumped ship, the days of 8-bit were all but over.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:08 pm

As soon as the ST/Amiga era started, that was it from a commercial point of view IMO. The same happened in the console field...With a Master system or NES at home, once you saw the Mega Drive, SNES or PC engine games you just had the immediate urge to upgrade I found.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:41 pm

When there were more games being given away free on the covers of mags than there were new titles being reeased.

The pamphletisation of Crash was the first nail , but the rest followed quickly after that.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:41 pm

When there were more games being given away free on the covers of mags than there were new titles being released.

The pamphletisation of Crash was the first nail , but the rest followed quickly after that.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

webding

Post by webding » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:52 pm

ncf1 wrote:When Zzap! started looking like a children's comic and there was nothing but reviews of re-releases and lots of in-fighting between the writers.. you knew that when Paul Glancey had had enough and jumped ship, the days of 8-bit were all but over.
I guess I started reading Zzap around this time, given that - even as a ten year old - I thought it was an utter bag of censored, and written really badly. But, like being drunk and desperate, I happily took whatever was on offer.

webding

Post by webding » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:54 pm

That's right. An absolute bag of censored.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:18 am

It never even crossed my mind that 8-bits had died. It just wasn't something I ever consciously thought about. I saw some games on my friend's Atari ST and the move from 8-bit to 16-bit came as naturally as breathing. There was no sadness, no sense of an era ending, no drawing a line under the previous generation of machines. I've never been one to hold on to a games machine long enough to realise I've been left behind as a new generation unfolds.

fulgenzio

Post by fulgenzio » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:38 pm

The first time i saw Menace.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:07 pm

The Amiga Batman pack.

The point that hit the shops signalled the death knell for 8 bit micro's IMO. The new generation was officially here and all the continuance of 8 bit coverage in mags achieved at that point was to illustrate just how bad they were compared to the state of the art. The writing was indelibly on the wall.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:21 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:When did you realise the 8-bit computers had finally died? (from a commercial point of view, we know we're all still playing them).
While in the local "Computer Genius" which was situated upstairs in a jeans clothing store. While buying Crazy Cars II and 4x4 Off-Road Racing for Amstrad everyone else was huddled around an imported Japanese Megadrive running Revenge of Shinobi. A no contest really.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:51 pm

"F-Zero" - that is all.

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:49 pm

I knew their days were numbered when the ST and Amiga first appeared in the micro press, it never really hit me until about 1988 when I got my Amiga, and as much as I loved the Amiga - I couldn't help but feel that computers were now being developed with idiots in mind, I loved the fact that you had to actually type something in to make an 8bit do anything.