From the Forum Issue 89

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

PanzerGeneral

Re: From the Forum Issue 89

Post by PanzerGeneral » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:22 am

I wil go for Dropzone!, nah the Atari version was better, alright then - howabout Attack of the mutant camels!, nah the Atari version was better, Rescue on Fractalus, nah the Atari version was better, Elektraglide - nah the Atari version was better, the Eidolon, Koronis Rift, Bounty Bob strikes back - nah same again.

I know!!!!! - Elite, there was never an 8bit Atari version.
Last edited by PanzerGeneral on Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:37 pm

Transformers, purely because it's one of the few C64 games I remember, running around as Optimus Prime? Hell yes!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:13 am

Castle Wolfenstein for me, although I started playing it on the schools Apple IIe's. Between that and many Infocom adventures I clocked up many hours on this hardware. Wolfenstein had such a button layout we often played it as a two player, one controlling the character, one the weapons.
Although listening to the speech I'm sure the Nazis were screaming 'Mothballs!' and 'Want some sauce?' :)

I've had to edit this...because I forgot about the brilliant Lode Runner! I loved that game, and that'd HAVE to take the #1 spot for me!
Last edited by kiwimike on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psi236

Post by psi236 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:17 am

Check these out: R-Type, for music that surpasses the arcade. One I discovered recently, The Simpsons Arcade Game - highly recommended. I was always rather fond of Magicland Dizzy and probably the first game I ever completed - Hunchback. :D

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:28 am

Knight 'n Grail, it's one of those "new" C64 games but it's better than any other C64 game I've ever played. Bit like a medieval Metroid sort of thing.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

stulec52

Post by stulec52 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:57 am

Monty On The Run
game was ok, but music is still superb

Joachim

Post by Joachim » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:09 pm

Giana Sisters - even today the controls are perfect and the level design is challenging. I can't get the tune out of my mind. And no, it's not just a clone of Mario. RIP Armin, I will never forget what you have done programming this game.
"It sure was another thrilling adventure that I'll never forget. Let's turn on some funky music." - http://twitter.com/JoachimHesse

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:54 am

Yep, another vote for Giana Sisters, some aspects of the game are more impressive than Super Mario Bros, still not as
good, but a lovely platformer all the same.

joystick

Post by joystick » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:16 am

There are so many great games on the 64, but I always go back to playing the Last Ninja series. The visuals were ahead of its time and the SID soundtrack is epic. E-P-I-C! Runner-ups: Cybernoid and Paradroid 90.
Joystick.net - Retro gaming news and reviews

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:29 pm

I used to love playing Impossible Mission on my mate Curlys' C64. Ok the truth is he used to play and I would sit at the end of his bed watching him play it for hours and when it was my turn he would put an other game on... bastard! Maybe thats why I hated the C64 so much.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:31 pm

joystick wrote:There are so many great games on the 64, but I always go back to playing the Last Ninja series. The visuals were ahead of its time and the SID soundtrack is epic. E-P-I-C! Runner-ups: Cybernoid and Paradroid 90.
Paradroid 90 was on the Amiga (and ST), not the C64.

The Last Ninja soundtrack is indeed epic, and I have it very loud in my car on occasion :D
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:46 pm

necronom wrote:
joystick wrote:There are so many great games on the 64, but I always go back to playing the Last Ninja series. The visuals were ahead of its time and the SID soundtrack is epic. E-P-I-C! Runner-ups: Cybernoid and Paradroid 90.
Paradroid 90 was on the Amiga (and ST), not the C64.

The Last Ninja soundtrack is indeed epic, and I have it very loud in my car on occasion :D

And of course the C64 wouldnt be seen dead playing P90 ; awful version.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

newoldgamer

Post by newoldgamer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:41 pm

Raid over Moscow. It was a great shooter, a little slow now but I still find it enjoyable.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:42 am

newoldgamer wrote:Raid over Moscow. It was a great shooter, a little slow now but I still find it enjoyable.
I love Raid and still play it now.. My favourite bit is shooting the guys off the walls and then shooting the towers off the Kremlin.. quality! :)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

Skull Commander

Post by Skull Commander » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:56 am

Tough question but I remember enjoying Buggy Boy a great deal. It looked great for the time and played very well, although it was some time ago since I last played it.