Official Issue 88 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rossi46

Re: Issue 88

Post by rossi46 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Opa-Opa wrote: 360 (god awfull machine)
Really? "God awful" ? In what way?

While I'm fully aware it's just your usual trolling, flame-bait bullshit, i find myself genuinely wondering how you'll explain that one, krusty, sorry, opa.
Thoughts and prayers.

psj3809

Re: Issue 88 Feedback

Post by psj3809 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:19 am

I really liked the Cave feature, hadnt heard of them before. Bought a few of their games on my ipod and love their shoot em ups, totally OTT with all the bullets etc but very polished games.

As for the X-Box i must admit i've never heard people slate them that much, all my friends who have them seem to love em

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:48 am

rossi46 wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote: 360 (god awfull machine)
Really? "God awful" ? In what way?

While I'm fully aware it's just your usual trolling, flame-bait bullshit, i find myself genuinely wondering how you'll explain that one, krusty, sorry, opa.
No you don't rossi46, you just think it'll be fun to try and start a little forum spat with someone who has a different opinion to that of yours using negative and insulting comments laced with swear words. good luck with that...

One thing I really did enjoy this issue was the Attack of the clones article. We often remember the "big" games we all enjoyed in our younger days such as the Manic Miners and Underwurldes, but forget the hours and hours we spent playing theses early arcade conversions and knock off titles.
As a VIC-20 owner a lot of my early software was a knock off of a popular (at the time) arcade game, the two that spring instantly to mind are Krazy Kong and a Frogger clone I can't even remember the name of, but to me they were like having an arcade at home and I never needed to find 10p to play them. Looking back at them today they are mostly poor but to many of us back them they were the real deal and we loved them. Great little feature, hope to to see many more like it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Official Issue 88 Feedback

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:02 am

Please keep subject matter on topic. Use All about the games if you want to discuss the 360 guys.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:49 am

Came today, and once again - wicked

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:47 am

Sepp Salerno wrote:Came today, and once again - wicked
This thread is about the latest mag - not your sex life. :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:08 am

Havantgottaclue wrote:I've not read the entire magazine yet but I'd just like to pass on my compliments to you, and of course Mike Bevan in particular, on the Minority Report article.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Don't thank me. It was rory milne's idea.
Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Then ALL HAIL RORY MILNE! It's an excellent idea for rounding up noteworthy games that don't fit into some broader theme.
mikeb wrote:Yep, all hail Rory for the original idea, although I've adapted it slightly to also cover less-well known, noteworthy or 'cult' games on more mainstream platforms rather than just 'minority' ones, which I think will mix things up for the better.
No hailing necessary!, but chuffed Darran responded so positively to my initial idea and very happy it helped form the basis of the format ultimately used in the superb piece mikeb put together. His addition of 'cult' titles on more mainstream systems adds a really nice twist and will almost certainly win the feature more fans.

While I'm giving credit where credit is due, the idea of giving more coverage to a number of 'minority' systems in one feature (rather than attempting the impossible task of giving more coverage to system x one month, more coverage to system y the next month, etc., etc. without getting constant complaints of favouritism) came to me after reading this:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:But what happens when we increase the PC coverage at the expense of someone else's favourite machine? What happens then? I'll tell you what happens. Someone will complain that the ZX80 isn't getting enough coverage and it all kicks off again. My hair gets a little greyer, and that's about it.
Note to Darran: rant more often, who knows what ideas people might come up with? :wink:

And prior to that what made me think that featuring more games on 'minority' systems in the mag might be a pretty good idea in general was the 'Top 25 arcade conversions of all time' piece back in issue 76 - so it's cool that Stuart likes the idea. :D

Anyhow, great to see it in print, looking forward to Darran's take on it next month and hoping that the response to the feature over the months to come puts the breaks on the grey hair count a little! :wink:

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:56 am

markopoloman wrote:
haha :lol: an mpm classic :lol: made my day
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:34 am

Great issue.. love Missile Command so that's me won over.. ;) I would say the cover is priceless.. but it obviously isn't.. ;)

Firebird Article is excellent and of particular interest to me.. Cave.. not bothered in the slightest about it.. Fairchild article is interesting as I have one in the loft. I loved TLL so am pleased to see Stuart give it a once over.. quite liked Road Rash 2 so found this interesting.. Attack of the Clones is a good read.. DID with John Newcomer is a highlight, very interesting read..

All the other usual stuff is of the highest standard.. really enjoying the issue.. good stuff indeed..

Cheers

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

rainbird rich

Post by rainbird rich » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:17 am

boggyb68 wrote:
Firebird Article is excellent and of particular interest to me..
Glad you liked it! :-) I'm now of course curious why it is of particular interest to you... were you a fan of Firebird back in the day or is there another reason?
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

webding

Post by webding » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:35 am

jdanddiet wrote:
markopoloman wrote:
haha :lol: an mpm classic :lol: made my day
Come on, that was blatantly obvious. It's the kind of joke that doesn't even need saying - do it in your head, and move on.

And no, the end of that last sentence wasn't about my sex life.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:37 am

Jesus. Sorry.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:37 am

Already read mine...when's the next issue out? :D

Comments:-

Cover...lovely
Andreas Axelsson looks a bit like Alan Shearer
HE LIVES! Back to the 80's and 90's as fine as ever
Missile Command - not my fave coin-op but any retro gamer should of course be interested in this
Minority report - interesting, but a bit like the unconverted? Nothing wrong with that per se, always nice to find out about undiscovered gems
PGA Tour Golf - a fan on the MD, good feature
Obscura Machina - I like this feature, remember seeing a fairchild at a retro show
TLL - blocky hell!
Road rash - liked this very much as its an old fave of mine
Attack of the Clones - very good idea. Interestingly I was thinking of proposing this myself, but never got round to it. I was going to call it "The Cloned Wars" :lol:
Future Classic - got DMC 3 to play so very interested in that
The Unconverted - must admit am skipping past this a bit more now.
Cave Story - not so keen on this, but can understand Joachim getting the interview is quite a coup and lots of people like shooters so why not
Firebird - very good, loads of facts and trivia and a compelling story. Invasion of the Body Snatchas should have been in Attack of the Clones :wink:
Dark Forces - nice to read about, even if only in the classic game format
Desert Island Discs - must admit skipped past this a little. I'll have a proper read another time.
Retrorated - Just a thought - whilst i have no problem whatsoever with reading reviews of new games of old franchises (despite not owning a current gen console), surely even the original Beyond Good and Evil on the PS2 is not considered Retro? Just a thought...
Letters - do you deliberately keep letters saying "how about a feature on...?" only to print them in the issue you actually do the feature in? :wink:
Next month: collector's guide c64 very much looking forward to this, but haven't we done Starquake before?

webding

Post by webding » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:51 am

jdanddiet wrote:Jesus. Sorry.
It wasn't an attack, I'm just amazed that everyone's brain doesn't work like mine. Actually, that's probably a good thing.

Anyway, back on topic. I've not read much of it yet, I don't want to finish too soon (not about my sex life lolz, etc), but I really enjoyed the PGA Tour article. I'm also looking forward to the C64 collectors guide next month. Based on the content of the N64 one, I'm not generally a fan of the piece, but if there's one machine that can change my mind about it, it'd be the C64.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:05 pm

jdanddiet wrote: Retrorated - Just a thought - whilst i have no problem whatsoever with reading reviews of new games of old franchises (despite not owning a current gen console), surely even the original Beyond Good and Evil on the PS2 is not considered Retro? Just a thought...

Letters - do you deliberately keep letters saying "how about a feature on...?" only to print them in the issue you actually do the feature in? :wink:

Next month: collector's guide c64 very much looking forward to this, but haven't we done Starquake before?
Well the PS2 technically falls within our remit now (we don't cover systems or their games unless they've been out for 10 years minimum) so we thought Beyond Good and Evil was fair game. That's not to say though that we'll be running PS2 features any time soon, we wont.

Letters. Believe it or not, but they are actually genuine.

Next month. We've done an interview with Steve Crow over a year ago, but not a specific making of Starquake. We've also got loads of juicy info on the amazing sounding sequel.