Official Issue 88 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mayhem

Re: Official Issue 88 Feedback

Post by Mayhem » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:13 pm

The Japanese version of Avenger for C64 is also pretty good as well, certainly better than the obese invader version the West got...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:32 pm

Liked road rash and had a good laugh and horror of the reminder of hopper copper in rainbird article.

bsg

Post by bsg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:02 pm

As with the unwashed masses... I LOVED the cover (even if I did try to peel the price 'sticker' off :roll: )

Still not a fan of 'Future Classics' - even though they are mostly on the last gen systems, which fall, (well, at least in my eyes) as 'Retro', it just seems that everything shown so far has been fairly 'new'ish :|

Firebird article - if the entire mag was filled with anecdotes, feelings towards games, pooping habits etc of the staff of Firebird I would have lapped it up... (and oh bejesus that sounds so wrong... but can't be arsed to edit it out :lol: )

Enjoyed the Missile Command article, very well conducted and informative about a game I had a passion for as a youth...

Unconverted - DAMN I want to play Night Slashers.. it sounds as cool as feck!!

All in all, as per usual - fantastic mag and well done to all who bring it to us 8)
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:51 am

bsg wrote:Still not a fan of 'Future Classics' - even though they are mostly on the last gen systems, which fall, (well, at least in my eyes) as 'Retro', it just seems that everything shown so far has been fairly 'new'ish :|
Well the problem with this issue is that it's a (sorry) horrible choice for the category. DMC3? REALLY? Yes, it's a decent game, but is it ever going to be called a classic? I highly doubt it. It's not the original (DMC) and has been overshadowed by later games in the genre, even on the same platform. It will have a hard time making people's top 5 within its genre on its platform. My main gripe with it though is that it's neither an undisputed highly rated masterpiece nor a true hidden gem. It's a top tier mainstream action title and I don't think those are the right choices for this series. Especially not when there are hundreds of last gen games more worthy of highlighting and RG can only feature 12 of them per year.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:12 am

FUTURE CLASSIC PAWNS ALL U MONGS etc

I appreciated the phoey price sticker on the cover. Also I find myself looking up SNES Gods listings too.

martyg

Post by martyg » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:40 pm

In relation to my Fairchild article in this month's issue, I just was informed of some news that's ironic but sad timing -

Creator Jerry Lawson, featured in the article, just passed away. I'll post more info as I get it.

Sad timing as well because the IGDA had just honored him last month for his contributions to the industry:

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_ ... ck_check=1
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:21 am

PanzerGeneral wrote:All in all - a good issue with plenty of good articles.

One minor complaint though;- In the "Attack of the clones"feature - it states that there were no decent versions of Space Invaders available prior to 1984?, are you having a laugh????, what about TI Invaders on the Texas systems(1981)?????
My TI/99/4A was purchased in the UK well before 1984 and TI Invaders was the best version of the game I have played to date, I would go as far as to say that it was better than the arcade machine.

Still - all the Atari stuff made up for this heinous gaffe :D

The Vic 20 did a really good version too ("Avengers").
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

martyg

Post by martyg » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:42 pm

martyg wrote:In relation to my Fairchild article in this month's issue, I just was informed of some news that's ironic but sad timing -

Creator Jerry Lawson, featured in the article, just passed away. I'll post more info as I get it.

Sad timing as well because the IGDA had just honored him last month for his contributions to the industry:

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_ ... ck_check=1

Here we go, 1up covered it -

http://www.1up.com/news/video-game-pion ... awson-dies
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:45 pm

Spacepatrol wrote:I have to agree that Attack of the Clones is one of the best one off features to appear in the magazine, and would love to see it as a regular feature.

But I have say that the line 'The speccy version looked a lot more like the coin-op..' is the most ridiculous statements ever to appear in the magazine. I don't want to get into the old play ground argument of which was better C64 or Speccy but look at screenshots of both versions and compare them to arcade Track'n'field and it is obvious which looks most like the arcde game.
Indeed it is. Look at these shots of arcade Track'n'Field and tell me which out of the Speccy and C64 versions of Decathlon looks closest to the coin-op:

High Jump

Javelin

Hammer Throw/Discus

The C64 had the advantage palette-wise and in the 100m and 110m hurdles in so far as it showed two lanes, but in every other respect the Speccy version was far more like the arcade game. Speccy easily, no contest.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:16 pm

Enjoyed the issue this month, my wife had 'tidied' it away on the day it arrived so only just discovered it again this morning!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:48 pm

I love Attack of the Clones , but personally would love to see original arcade shots in the mag alongside the 'clones' to see how similar they are , especially on lesser remebered (by some) titles like Time Pilot
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:26 pm

RetroDiary: Was that 1st April entry a fools or for real?

Spacepatrol

Post by Spacepatrol » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
Spacepatrol wrote:I have to agree that Attack of the Clones is one of the best one off features to appear in the magazine, and would love to see it as a regular feature.

But I have say that the line 'The speccy version looked a lot more like the coin-op..' is the most ridiculous statements ever to appear in the magazine. I don't want to get into the old play ground argument of which was better C64 or Speccy but look at screenshots of both versions and compare them to arcade Track'n'field and it is obvious which looks most like the arcde game.
Indeed it is. Look at these shots of arcade Track'n'Field and tell me which out of the Speccy and C64 versions of Decathlon looks closest to the coin-op:

The C64 had the advantage palette-wise and in the 100m and 110m hurdles in so far as it showed two lanes, but in every other respect the Speccy version was far more like the arcade game. Speccy easily, no contest.
I think when you grew up with a C64 you are conditioned to not see past the monochrome graphics of the speccy. I'll give you the discus is completey different on the C64. But if we are really comparing against the arcade version we should judge the offical home ports. hope you agree that would be a one breadbin race! :)

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:03 am

Spacepatrol wrote:But if we are really comparing against the arcade version we should judge the offical home ports. hope you agree that would be a one breadbin race! :)
You've got me there. I didn't even know there was a C64 official Track And Field before now, and it's pretty stunning. Whereas the Speccy one really needs to be the subject of a feature where the authors are tracked down and made to explain themselves.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:58 am

Very good issue, two thumbs up from me. Not as good as this month's World Soccer though!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."