Official Issue 88 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

slacey1070

Re: Official Issue 88 Feedback

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:56 am

Not read too much of this issue just yet, but I have to say, I LOVE the cover - very 70s . . .seeing as I love the whole retro thing & have a collection of NASL shirts that remind me of how stylish the 70s were!

Anyway, it was fantastic - well done . . I can almost forgive last months N64 horror show cover . . .:-)

And I loved the clones section - very interesting . . . .as others have said, I'd enjoy that as a regular/semi-regular article.

Future classic still makes me want to cry though . .
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:55 am

What a cracking read so far - and chuffed to bits to get a Readers' Revival published this month, cheers for featuring it :)

Back to 80s and 90s is a particular favourite section of mine each month and absolutely loved the Missile Command feature as well, great stuff guys. Only ever played the Game Gear version of that on the 'Arcade Classics' compilation cart, the proper arcade cab looks like brilliant fun but will be leaving that one well alone on MAME I think!

Very much looking forward to getting in tonight, pouring a glass of bourbon, sticking a bit of Miles Davis on the stereo and getting stuck into the rest of it. :mrgreen:
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:59 am

Seems to be an overwhelmingly positive response from us on the forum and I'll include myself in the approving cries for the new sections as well as the Missile Command piece.

Minority Report was probably my highlight, not least of all for the work of genius that was Necromancer, probably my favourite Synapse game for the A8, which is saying something as they're also my favourite A8 publisher with some of the best games produced on any 8-bit system. It's such a pity Jack Tramiel totally screwed them over when he bought out Atari...

Big thumbs up all round.
HADDOCKEN!

martyg

Post by martyg » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Scapegoat wrote: It's such a pity Jack Tramiel totally screwed them over when he bought out Atari...
Ehhh, there's two sides to everything. He didn't buy Atari, he bought the Atari Consumer Division and folded that in to his company TTL which in turn was renamed Atari Corp. As part of the no money down purchase agreement, Jack took on both forms of debt - both debt owed to and owed by Atari Inc. (though Warner did keep a bunch of contracts and incoming debt that were done through contracts with them but executed through Atari ). The reason for this was so Warner could take the losses and debt off their books (they still owned Atari Inc. and kept it as a legal entity through several years after for settling up debts, patent ownership issues, etc.). In fact, the debt owed to Atari Inc. was figured in to the valuation of what Jack bought and was supposed to be used to not only help pay a lot of the money owed to other companies but also keep the new company operating in general. Only Jack was never able to collect and Atari Corp. was in danger of shutting down through the rest of '84 and in to '85 - he had even already sunk in most of his own money to the company. Many of those people who owed were simply themselves not paying, were bankrupt, or went out of business completely during the crash. He was able to get more financing from Warner and a re-evaluation based off of not being able to collect, but you have to understand the staggering amount of debt and losses he took on to get Atari Consumer. There was even an Atari Creditors Task Force formed by a group of creditors that Sept. after the purchase because some payments that were supposed to go out that July and August under Atari Inc. were delayed after the purchase because there was simply no money for them. Even then, he actually managed to pay off the large ones and bring Atari Corp. in to the black by late '86 which was an astounding feet to do in two years.

A financially insolvent company with mass amounts of debt from a previous company is a bit different than someone sitting on a pile of cash and just refusing to pay out as some people try to accuse him of during that period.
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:29 am

All the missle command stuff is awesome, I've actually re read the coin op capers again last night. Also Tony Temple actually comes across as human and not just a machine spitting dry facts (a rare thing for a record holder in this section) Also, his cab is stunning

Mero

Post by Mero » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:08 am

I thought this was the strongest issue for quite some time, and not just because of the Cave coverage (about time you got round to featuring them!). Well done to all concerned.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:10 am

Mero wrote:I thought this was the strongest issue for quite some time, and not just because of the Cave coverage (about time you got round to featuring them!). Well done to all concerned.
Hopefully you'll stick around the forum :)

Pacman 83

Post by Pacman 83 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:04 am

Sepp Salerno wrote:Also Tony Temple actually comes across as human and not just a machine
Ever seen him play Missile Command ? :lol:
Seriously, great issue. The interview with Dave Theurer was easily the highlight. You've got more chance interviewing Elvis :wink:
Perfect Pac Man - Play Margate 22/08/2015
Highest Pac Man score of the golden age (1978-84)
3,221,000 19th June 1983

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:30 am

Eight years, oddly, is about as long as I'd been hoping for a Dave Theurer interview as well, as it was about that long ago I spoke to Tim Skelly who told me just how reclusive Dave tends to be (as he had occasional contact with him) and that getting an interview out of him would be quite a feat. It's great to see both Paul and Darran take on the baton and eventually make it a reality ;)

And yeah, Tony T is a great guy, with plenty to talk about. Although I saw first hand at CGE 2005 just how focused he is on the MC heh...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:31 pm

The Missile Command Coin-Op Capers mentions Tony was the first person to "get past the 'kill screen' on Missile Command in tournament mode." I didn't think there was a kill screen in MC apart from in Chuck (the TV show).

I've looked it up and everywhere says there isn't one.

What did he mean when he said he'd got past it?
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:08 pm

It's a similar bug to what happens in Pac-Man (based on the old 8 bit counting issues) but actually benefits the player in some way because of the massive bonus points boost. Although wave 256 is technically "unplayable", there is no danger either (no missiles etc come down) and you get another massive points boost. If the game doesn't crash, which apparently it is known to do sometimes at that point. Sadly the video in question from YouTube showing what occurs is gone but there's a good explanation about what happens over at TG if you're interested.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks for that, Mayhem.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:50 am

Great issue this month, plenty to enjoy. I especially liked the Road Rash feature which was a good read and informative in that I was finally able to find out exactly what the Sega-CD version was all about. Also reminded me that I need to get around to picking up RR3 for the MD at some point. Props for rightfully giving the amazing 3DO version some praise too :)

One extremely pedantic niggle though...did you have to randomly use a manky US Greatest Hits image for the DMC3 boxart? Just seemed very...random. More of a musing than an actual complaint obviously.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

romanista

Post by romanista » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:39 am

best issue of the year.. Cave finally getting some love, a revstu article and i always wondered about the fairchild..
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:41 am

All in all - a good issue with plenty of good articles.

One minor complaint though;- In the "Attack of the clones"feature - it states that there were no decent versions of Space Invaders available prior to 1984?, are you having a laugh????, what about TI Invaders on the Texas systems(1981)?????
My TI/99/4A was purchased in the UK well before 1984 and TI Invaders was the best version of the game I have played to date, I would go as far as to say that it was better than the arcade machine.

Still - all the Atari stuff made up for this heinous gaffe :D