Official Issue 88 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

thevulture

Re: Issue 88

Post by thevulture » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:53 pm

That's a damn fine cover if there ever was.....My issue has arrived, yet to look at, but just in awe of that cover.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:42 pm

Got my copy today, and it seems an issue that I will love half of, and be less enthusiastic about the other. Still 50% looks excellent.
Like the look of the clone arcade article, that'll definitely be my first read. Also Firebird, Missile Command, Obscura Machina (mainly because I own one), and PGA Golf I am looking forward to reading.

Less enamoured about Road Rash (never really played it), Cave shooters (far too hardcore for me)... but will read and probably learn much and enjoy them greatly. Regular columns like Back to 80's/90's, Unconverted and Retro-Revivals still excellent and make me look forward to what games will be included each month.

If I have some moans of the month then they are:-
Dark Forces could have been a multi-page article, not just two pages... I absolutely love that game, far more than Doom or Duke Nukem, which have both had huge amounts of coverage. One day I'd like to see a making of Dark Forces.

Future Classic... not only is Devil May Cry 3 really really modern, it's also in my opinion another hardcore gamers game... too hard by far for the low average gamer like myself. I'm beginning to dislike this feature, and at the beginning I thought it was ok. I think I was expecting more obscure games nobody bought upon release, even though they were superb... not multi-platinum selling games that everyone has played or heard of.

On other pages the regular columnists still not interesting me, and reviews I will continue to get elsewhere. Oh well, a few small moans, but it isn't representative of my feelings for the mag, which is still my favourite read each month.

Well done, I don't know how you keep the standards so high each month, but you just keep surprising me.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:04 pm

I've not read the entire magazine yet but I'd just like to pass on my compliments to you, and of course Mike Bevan in particular, on the Minority Report article. It's the perfect format I think, featuring one standout game and a few other slightly more niche titles. I'm particularly interested in that Apple IIe game, Airheart - a game I know nothing about on a machine I know nothing about.

The best thing of all is that there's an almost endless (okay, slight exaggeration!) supply of source material for this article in the future. Keep it up!
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:I've not read the entire magazine yet but I'd just like to pass on my compliments to you, and of course Mike Bevan in particular, on the Minority Report article. It's the perfect format I think, featuring one standout game and a few other slightly more niche titles. I'm particularly interested in that Apple IIe game, Airheart - a game I know nothing about on a machine I know nothing about.

The best thing of all is that there's an almost endless (okay, slight exaggeration!) supply of source material for this article in the future. Keep it up!
Don't thank me. It was rory milne's idea.

dste

Post by dste » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:52 pm

webding wrote:Mine arrived this morning - first issue of my subscription and I'm impressed with how much before the shelf date it came through.

Had a skim through earlier, and it looks like there's some good stuff in there. Good cover too.
Pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

My first subscription issue arrived this morning but due to being out most of the day I've only managed to have a quick flick through but I'm looking forward to reading everything, especially the Cave feature.

Thought the cover was great. I know it's daft but I really liked the price sticker, just bought back memories of some the places I shopped at growing up.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:03 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:I'm particularly interested in that Apple IIe game, Airheart - a game I know nothing about on a machine I know nothing about.
It's a nice game—essentially an early version of Typhoon Thompson on the ST. Both are by Dan Gorlin, who said years back (when I interviewed him about Choplifter) that he'd be happy to talk about the game(s).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:53 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Don't thank me. It was rory milne's idea.
Then ALL HAIL RORY MILNE! It's an excellent idea for rounding up noteworthy games that don't fit into some broader theme.

Opa-Opa

Re: Issue 88 Feedback

Post by Opa-Opa » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:38 am

WHAT A FANTASTIC ISSUE!!!
The best issue for a long time and there wasn't much wrong with previous months.

Some fantastic games covered this month, real games that people actually play and care about.
The only really weak article for me was the boring CAVE thing that not many people give a stuff about, don't they just make poop jap imports you cant play without a load of messing about and once you do get them running the're just dull bullet hell shooters that suffer so bad from slow down they actually tried to tell us it was intentional..? Pull the other one sunshine lol :lol:
Once you have Seen one boring cave shooter, you have seen them all.. Still I guess it keeps the "import ubergamers" happy for a while..

Keep up the great work guys, the mag gets stronger with each issue :)

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:20 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Don't thank me. It was rory milne's idea.
Then ALL HAIL RORY MILNE! It's an excellent idea for rounding up noteworthy games that don't fit into some broader theme.
Yep, all hail Rory for the original idea, although I've adapted it slightly to also cover less-well known, noteworthy or 'cult' games on more mainstream platforms rather than just 'minority' ones, which I think will mix things up for the better. Airheart's an interesting one - many familiar with Choplifter probably won't have heard of it, but from a technical point of view it's doing things you'd never expect to see on an Apple II. I think Dan spent three years putting it together, as opposed to Choplifter's six months or so.
Opa-Opa wrote: The only really weak article for me was the boring CAVE thing that not many people give a stuff about, don't they just make poop jap imports you cant play without a load of messing about and once you do get them running the're just dull bullet hell shooters that suffer so bad from slow down they actually tried to tell us it was intentional..?
[Takes deep breath...] Resisting the urge to embark on a Cave fan-boy counter-rant - everyone with a 360 should get this http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/xb ... 96497.html

Deathsmiles - Deluxe Edition [yes that's a UK release Opa] for £12.85. And get Guwange on Live for 800 moonbucks while you're at it :)

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:44 am

mikeb wrote: [Takes deep breath...] Resisting the urge to embark on a Cave fan-boy counter-rant - everyone with a 360 should get this http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/xb ... 96497.html

Deathsmiles - Deluxe Edition [yes that's a UK release Opa] for £12.85. And get Guwange on Live for 800 moonbucks while you're at it :)
No thanks.. I don't have a 360 (god awfull machine) and even if I did own one I wouldn't be wasting my time on that dump when there are far better titles such as Fable, Alan Wake etc to be enjoying.. I'll stick to having a few goes of Progear evey once in a blue moon on the MAME cab for free, rather than waste my cash on that..

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:50 am

mikeb wrote: [Takes deep breath...] Resisting the urge to embark on a Cave fan-boy counter-rant - everyone with a 360 should get this http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/xb ... 96497.html

13 quid? Heavens above. I think you may have just sold me my first boxed 360 game since 2009.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:11 am

PS:
Opa-Opa wrote:once you do get them running the're just dull
far better titles such as Fable
I believe the term the young people nowadays use is "ROFL!"

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:17 am

:wink: Opa: As a 360 (and PS3 owner) your spot on regarding Alan Wake:A gem of a game that sadly bombed at retail, but Fable? Your 'Once you've played one , you've played 'em all' line could very well be apllied here.They are good enough games in their own right, but 3 Fable games so far and i'm still waiting for the features Peter promised for the 1st game.

Each Fable game gets ever more ideas promised which fail to appear in finished game and those that do...are'nt what they were made out to be.

Guess i'll save my comments on the series for the future RG feature on Fable series.Maybe in 5 years time....

Fandenivoldsk

Post by Fandenivoldsk » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:33 am

CraigGrannell wrote:It's a nice game—essentially an early version of Typhoon Thompson on the ST. Both are by Dan Gorlin, who said years back (when I interviewed him about Choplifter) that he'd be happy to talk about the game(s).
Please do an interview with Gorlin about Airheart and Typhoon Thompson! Awesome game(s) that reminds me of the classsic Activision game Park Patrol.

I hope the C64 conversion of Typhoon Thompson will be out soon.......:
http://www.gtw64.co.uk/Pages/t/Review_Typhoon.php

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:11 pm

Amazed they did a C64 version. As for an interview, that's down to Darran and Stu (and Dan, obv.).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com