I can't find a copy of issue 20 anywhere, help!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Browncat

I can't find a copy of issue 20 anywhere, help!

Post by Browncat » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:35 am

Like I said I can't get a copy not even in my local WH Smith at this rate I will just have to be content wit Games TM's retro section. Come on RG I have every issue of the mag since issue 2 get you damn distribution right.

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:49 am

I don't think it's been out very long. Give it until the end of next week and then start to panic.

I think you're like me - someone who needs to get a subscription, but hasn't got around to doing it yet.

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:59 am

I didn't have a problem getting it yesterday in WH Smiths in Halesowen West Midlands, but had to go to a few 1st, some told me it woul be in Tuesday. Have you also tried going on the net and finding some of your local Smiths or TESCOs (as I now they stock it) and giving them a ring to see if they have issue 20 in yet?
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

jimmyjimjim

Found it, but can't buy it!

Post by jimmyjimjim » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:38 am

I've been searching everywhere for issue 20 since finding out it had been sent out to subscribers almost 2 weeks ago. Checked my local Tesco and Tesco Extra last week but neither had it in, went to my local WHSmiths, it too didn't have it, and today tried the main city centre WHSmiths, which also didn't have it. I eventually found it in Game next door and after waiting 20 minutes in a queue of people returning their faulty PSPs, the magazine bar code couldn't be scanned and the bar code number couldn't be entered. The manager picked up two more copies from the shelf, tried to scan those, but neither of those worked. He simply said that because the magazine couldn't be scanned, he couldn't sell it, and went back to the shelf to take all other copies of the magazine off sale. So, it looks like, if I don't subscribe, I'm not going to get Issue 20. I know last month, when I did find issue 19 in WHSmiths, they also had trouble scanning the bar code, but still sold it to me by scanning another magazine at the same price (and probably messed up their stocks at the same time!). Obviously WHSmiths see a sale of £4.99 as being more important than Game and found a way around the problem. I read in this forum last month that other shops had trouble scanning the magazine bar code. The real problem is, if shops are going to continue to have difficulty selling the magazine, or, as with Game, won't allow somebody to purchase the magazine at all, will they just withdraw the magazine from future sale completely? After all, Game were quick to take the magazine off sale because they couldn't scan it today. Who knows if the Tesco and WHSmiths stores I'd already tried had also come across the problem and and done the same thing, therefore making the magazine impossible to find?

CraigGrannell

Re: Found it, but can't buy it!

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:59 am

For what it's worth, #20 only found its way to Fleet (north-east Hants) yesterday (Saturday), so it may take a few more days to spread round the country.
jimmyjimjim wrote:The manager picked up two more copies from the shelf, tried to scan those, but neither of those worked. He simply said that because the magazine couldn't be scanned, he couldn't sell it, and went back to the shelf to take all other copies of the magazine off sale.
Then clearly either 1) the manager of your local GAME is an idiot, or; 2) GAME's policy regarding bar-code scanning is idiotic. #19's barcode wouldn't scan in WHSmith, so the person on the till just typed in the code. It sounds more like the manager of your local GAME is a lazy bastard, or someone who simply doesn't know how to use the tills...
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

igbandy

Post by igbandy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:03 pm

My local WhSmiths (Tamworth) had finally got issue 20 on their shelves today (Sunday 8th January)

jimmyjimjim

Post by jimmyjimjim » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:10 pm

The manager of the Game store did seem like a bit of an idiot (my girlfriend was with me and commented how badly run the store was - a huge queue of people wanting to buy things, 2 people on the till, 3 other shop assistants doing other things around the shop, a phone that never got answered and Christmas music still playing!). The manager seemed more concerned about reading the article about Flashback than actually trying to solve the problem and make a sale. He had the kind of attitude: "It won't scan. Oh well, you can't have it then." Like I said, before me he was dealing with somebody who had taken their PSP back, and they left the store with their problem being far from solved (he gave them the number for Sony!). At least when WHSmith's couldn't scan the magazine they found a way around the problem. I was just worried that the bar code scanning problem was more widespread and could potentially affect sales. The local Tesco does usually have it in, so I'll check back there later this week.

forestville

Post by forestville » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:34 pm

My local WhSmiths (also Tamworth) i got retrogamer issue 20 yesterday (january 7th)

and what branch of Game store is this, they sound very unreliable.
Press play on tape

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:15 pm

Jimmy, you may want to use this link to make your complaint. Give as much detail as possible about the whole experience (your mag issues, PSP, music, queues etc):

http://shop.game.net/help/custservice.aspx

My local Game is actually pretty darn good. The people there are clued-up, ready to help, friendly, and if it's not too busy are always happy to chat.

I must get around to leaving some positive feedback on the Game web site.

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:23 pm

Got my Issue 20 today in WH Smith, High Wycombe. It was sitting on the bottom shelf again, next to a couple of copies of Issue 19.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:59 pm

andy vaisey wrote:Got my Issue 20 today in WH Smith, High Wycombe. It was sitting on the bottom shelf again, next to a couple of copies of Issue 19.
It's been at least 2 weeks since I went in there so I'm presuming they've moved the entire store again. By my count about the only place the games haven't been in there is on the actual roof.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

incarnates

Post by incarnates » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:04 am

I got my issue from WH Smiths on friday,loads of issues on the shelf(bottom as well,tucked behind another mag)So moved them to the front.

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:39 am

jimmyjimjim wrote:The manager of the Game store did seem like a bit of an idiot.
To be fair, that is a qualification to work there. Along with the usual personal hygiene problems and an adversion to daylight.

Try Gamestation. The shops are still full of smelly teenagers but at least the staff are usually friendly.

Sparrowhawk

Post by Sparrowhawk » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:54 am

WH Smiths in Bath have copies, but they are tucked away on the bottom shelf at the back. Anyone taller than 4 foot would have difficulty seeing them!

If I go back in soon, I'll bring them to the front!

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:01 am

Sparrowhawk wrote:WH Smiths in Bath have copies, but they are tucked away on the bottom shelf at the back. Anyone taller than 4 foot would have difficulty seeing them!

If I go back in soon, I'll bring them to the front!
It is every readers duty to ensure RG gets decent exposure in the newsies! Push them to the front, and take a few copies and stick them in front of Sega Power* or something! It is your duty!

* I'm hopelessly out of touch with computer magazines. All I see on the shelves are row upon row of identical mags featuring bimbos with big norks holding hard drives with titles like "Official Official Sony Official Playstation Official Zone Power TO THE MAX!!!!".