Long wait for review addition to website

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ipmarks

Long wait for review addition to website

Post by ipmarks » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:54 am

I wrote a review for the website nearly 3 weeks ago, and it has yet to be approved - just showing an asterisk next to it on my profile. This is just a further sign of a once great site in decline.

I do realise that people are busy at Retro-Gamer, but it is becoming clear that staff at the magazine no longer want to give any attention to the site, or are actually not able to give any attention to the site. As other posters have said, Game of the Week lasts for months, Featured Retrobates never changes, the list of neglect goes on... it's all a bit pathetic really.

I actually think it is time you got rid of some of the interactive parts of the site, as they do nothing. In all honesty it is clear that the magazines priorities lie elsewhere, so why not give it to the retro community to run, because at the moment it is just suffering a slow death.

There is no point in advertising in the magazine for people to upload reviews if you never update the site. I've tried to keep faith in the site, but now I'm beginning to think it is a lost cause.

clarance

Re: Long wait for review addition to website

Post by clarance » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:43 am

Still waiting then...

- I have a review I scribbled out the other day, but really, what's the point - the site has been dormant for well over a month now - I've started saving-off my reviews already up there in case the whole thing implodes all of a sudden.

Yah, agree with your post ipmarks, get rid of that stupid retro face-off - which never made any sense, or really worked - let the users take over the site, make new comments more visible, maybe even allow the inclusion of previous gen stuff - it's retro now apparently...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:40 pm

Yep still waiting, and no response from the top... more ammo to the idea that they just don't care.

The review I've submitted now I think will be my last (unless things change), and I will follow your example and start archiving off my own reviews, and put them up on my own website.

A shame really... such a good site once.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:22 pm

All reviews have been updated. I did them Friday.

I'm trying to get a system together where I update the site first thing at the beginning of each day. I have absolutely zero resources for this site though and anything I do on it eats into the magazine's time. At the end of the day I'd rather have a good magazine.

I looked into getting a few members here to police the site, but after a good six months of promising from the old IT team i've now been told by the new team that the setup used doesn't make this possible to do. Meaning it's down to myself and Stuart.

I'll do my best to drive a bit more interest in the site, but as I've said the magazine will always come first.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Thank you for the reply, had noticed that my review went up on Friday - thank you for that as well.

I do appreciate that you would rather have a great magazine than the website, and to be honest, so would I. It just seems a shame that because no-one has time to update it, it lays dormant for weeks. Ideally I'd want a middle ground - it's a shame that you can't open it up to members to edit, as that seemed a great idea... oh well, hopefully things will improve slightly soon.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:19 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:All reviews have been updated. I did them Friday.

I'm trying to get a system together where I update the site first thing at the beginning of each day. I have absolutely zero resources for this site though and anything I do on it eats into the magazine's time. At the end of the day I'd rather have a good magazine.

I looked into getting a few members here to police the site, but after a good six months of promising from the old IT team i've now been told by the new team that the setup used doesn't make this possible to do. Meaning it's down to myself and Stuart.

I'll do my best to drive a bit more interest in the site, but as I've said the magazine will always come first.
What you could really do with is to nominate a user (like ipmarks maybe) to be responsible for identifying issues, and for their contact details/username to be flagged on the site and forum as the contact point for people that want to report stolen/copied reviews or any other issues with the site, questions over reviews being authorised etc, they can then verify the reported info, and send you a weekly email/PM with things to be added, removed and/or actioned.

Not sure how long the actual process takes but with a clear and already checked list of things to action all in one mail/pm surely someone can give 15 minutes a week to just updating the site with the listed changes?
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed May 25, 2011 5:03 pm

The problem at the moment is due to the way things are set up, we can't actually add anyone :(
This may change soon when the new backend is in place.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Had a look at the site for the first time in forever just now and man...there are like 5 spam comments on every review, loads of duplicates up there and so on. I've been a big writing rut of late so haven't been able to contribute anymore but I'd still like to read some others' good work.

ipmarks: loved your strip poker review. Great bit of writing there.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:33 pm

It sadly seems to be dying a death, real shame as with a bit of work it could have been something special. Not much but if anyone has written any NES reviews I'll happily host them on NES-Bit. Saves them disappearing or being spammed in the comments.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

retrosportsgmr

Post by retrosportsgmr » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Ah disregard my post in the other thread - I certainly can understand the resource issue. Cool as hell site and idea though.
http://www.retrosportsgamer.com
Twitter: @retrosportsgmr

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:41 am

Got a bitchin' review that's been waiting for bloomin' yonks....

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:55 pm

Filled with New year optimism, i dropped by the site today, figured I might try and add a new review, but dont want to provide another opportunity for more spammers to hawk their wares.

Until the admin issues are sorted out I really would rather focus on my own site, which is a shame given all the hours I and all the other retrobates have put in :(
Click to follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/RetrogamesNow
My Retro Games Hubpage http://rolyretro/hubpages.com

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Have now got copies of all my site reviews, and intend to put them on my own website at some point.
Still add the occasional review to keep my hand in, but nothing like I used to. As Phoenix says a lot of my time on the site now is spent deleting spam comments... surely something could be done about these.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:58 am

I appreciate the frustration. It's frustrating to me as well. I'll again put it towards the digital team and see what can be done (if anything).

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I appreciate the frustration. It's frustrating to me as well. I'll again put it towards the digital team and see what can be done (if anything).
Any word yet?